Rank the IEM's you've heard
Aug 22, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #1,681 of 5,152
Brass is an interesting choice. I can see how it may be a better IEM. Did they change the sound at all? Is it bare brass or does it have a coating?

I think it's brass coating only but I am not sure, take it with a grain of salt. From my brief listening at the show, it sounds fuller and more energetic than regular edition. Surprisingly I don't think it's the bass that impresses me the most in the brass edition but the vocals. The vocals are a lot more resounding and definitely have more body.

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #1,683 of 5,152
Small update:

1. Empire Ears Zeus XR
2. Empire Ears Legend X
3. Campfire Audio Atlas
4. Campfire Audio Andromeda
5. Astell & Kern JH Audio Roxanne II
6. Empire Ears Phantom
7. IMR R1
8. Empire Ears Hermes
9. Empire Ears Apollo
10. Astell & Kern JH Audio Angie I

Note: This is purely based on my personal perception of sound and music genres. Comfort, ergonomics, isolation, feel and touch, portability, matchability, value, build quality and design attractiveness are not factored in.

The IMR R1 are really just that good. Excellent versatility with changeable filters, incredible imaging, attack and timbre. Its bass is also so detailed. It just fits so well with my genres of music (mainly English/American rock).

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #1,684 of 5,152
Update:

1. Empire Ears Zeus XIV
2. Empire Ears Legend X
3. Sony MDR-EX1000
4. Campfire Audio Atlas
5 Campfire Audio Andromeda
6. Astell & Kern JH Audio Roxanne II
7. IMR R1
8. Empire Ears Phantom
9. Empire Ears Hermes
10. Empire Ears Apollo

Very impressed with the level of imaging, staging and detail of the EX1000.

Sep 2, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #1,685 of 5,152
LZ-A4>>>Soundmagic E80s>Trinity Audio Engineering Vyrus(>/=)aJays One+>Soundmagic E10s>Phillips Specked earbuds>apple earpods

I'm also looking to get rid of all the ones I still own (don't own the phillips)...if anyone is interested

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #1,687 of 5,152
1. iBasso IT04 (CB13 cable)
2. Campfire Audio Atlas
3. iBasso IT04 (Stock CB12s cable)
4. iBasso IT01 (CB12s cable)
5. DITA The Answer
6. iBasso IT01 (Stock cable)
7. KZ ZST
8. KZ ZS6

Just some ramblings from a relative newcomer to the hobby. With the stock cable, I found the bass in the IT04 just lacking a little, with the CB13, bass gets just the right amount of punchiness for me. I prefer these to the Atlas because I prefer the clarity, separation and soundstage on the IT04 although I much prefer the bass on the Atlas. For a comparison, IT04 sounds with CB13 sounds like you're in a large studio with the band wheras the Atlas sounds like you're at the band's live concert. On a side note, most of my listening is done on the Hiby R6, since it is considered a warmish DAP, on the Hiby R3, which has a more neutral sound I prefer the Atlas, however with eq it seems to affect the IT04 moreso than the Atlas, in which I can make it sound more like the R6.

Sep 5, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #1,688 of 5,152
Just some ramblings from a relative newcomer to the hobby. With the stock cable, I found the bass in the IT04 just lacking a little, with the CB13, bass gets just the right amount of punchiness for me. I prefer these to the Atlas because I prefer the clarity, separation and soundstage on the IT04 although I much prefer the bass on the Atlas. For a comparison, IT04 sounds with CB13 sounds like you're in a large studio with the band wheras the Atlas sounds like you're at the band's live concert. On a side note, most of my listening is done on the Hiby R6, since it is considered a warmish DAP, on the Hiby R3, which has a more neutral sound I prefer the Atlas, however with eq it seems to affect the IT04 moreso than the Atlas, in which I can make it sound more like the R6.

From the sounds of it giving the IT04 wins if a bass bass EQ if used lightly.

Sep 5, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #1,689 of 5,152
As I haven't heard any other IEM that the ones, that I have, here is my actual ranking:

1. Havi B3 Pro1
2. Optoma NuForce 800M
3. Philips SHE9100
4. KZ ZST (after the Slater mod)
5. Superlux HD-381
6. KZ ATE
7. KZ ED16 (would be higher, when the trebles wouldn't be that annoying)
8. Nokia 8 Stock IEMs
9. Philips SHE8000

Sep 5, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #1,690 of 5,152
I've give this a go. Please note I'm not going by sound quality alone, but all factors like fit, comfort, build, cable, etc.

1. RHA MA-750 - (a little too much sub bass at times, but the most comfortable iems i've ever used).
2. Westone 4R - (best sound quality I've experienced, but cable and ear hooks are pretty weak, comfort not as good as RHA)
3. Shure SE215 (too bloated in the bass, but otherwise a fine sounding iem with good buld quality)
4. Hifiman RE-400 (good sounding, but cannot get them to stay in my ears, build quality is not great)
5. Nuforce EDC (too much bass, but super comfortable)
6. Xiaomi Piston 2
7. Sony MDR-XB40EX
8. Nuforce Primo 8 (fit and build is fine, but upper bass and lower mids are veiled in a wierd way)
9. Sennheiser CX300-B
10. Apple poop pods

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #1,692 of 5,152
1) Westone W60 - just fantastic to me and super comfortable with Spinfits

2) Ibasso IT01 - Seriously? $99? I really want to hear the IT04's

3) tie Massdrop Plus - crispy, in a good way. Not as enveloping as the W60’s, but great for <$300

3 ) tie Tralucent 1plus2.2

3) tie PSB M4U-4 - Pretty good for $150. Relaxing sound, but just a little dull.

4) Noble X

5) Audio Technica CKR100iS - very good, nice bass impact with correct tips

6) Fiio F9 Pro

7) Westone W4r

8) FLC 8s - good, but the soundstage seemed too small for me.

9) 64 Audio u4

10) 1More Triple

100) Shure S846 - did not get it, tried several tips and just could not see what the fuss was about. But we all have different ears, so YMMV

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #1,693 of 5,152
I've just sorta end my first journey of Hybrid and Dynamic IEMs, here is my report:
Rank by sound quality(as objective as I can):
1. Tia Fourte
2. Legend X
3. JH Lola
4. W900
5. CA Atlas
6. Oriolus Reborn
7. Rhapsodio Zombies
8. CA Vega
Rank by my personal favor:
1. JH Lola
2. Legend X
3. Tia Fourte tie with W900
5. Oriolus Reborn
6. Rhapsodio Zombies
7. CA Vega
8. CA Altas

RE2000 is missing in this list, I haven't had a chance to try them and I missed couple good deals unfortunately.
I found JH Lola is extremely underrated in our community, just like PP8 in the past few months. Lola has the best mid range and vocal I've ever heard in IEMs, somehow remind me SR009's mid and vocal. But Lola requires more, much more power than regular IEMs that we are talking about, I feel it consumes even a little more than my Ultrasone ED5...
JH did disappoint me by their old Roxanne and JH16, even Layla is slightly overpriced for a new pair IMO. But Lola gives me a huge surprise, it remains JH's signature(huge soundstage, accurate positioning, warm and dark, Lola is not dark tho, solid body) , but tuned more enjoyable in treble and mid.

Sep 14, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #1,694 of 5,152
I've give this a go. Please note I'm not going by sound quality alone, but all factors like fit, comfort, build, cable, etc.

1. RHA MA-750 - (a little too much sub bass at times, but the most comfortable iems i've ever used).
2. Westone 4R - (best sound quality I've experienced, but cable and ear hooks are pretty weak, comfort not as good as RHA)
3. Shure SE215 (too bloated in the bass, but otherwise a fine sounding iem with good buld quality)
4. Hifiman RE-400 (good sounding, but cannot get them to stay in my ears, build quality is not great)
5. Nuforce EDC (too much bass, but super comfortable)
6. Xiaomi Piston 2
7. Sony MDR-XB40EX
8. Nuforce Primo 8 (fit and build is fine, but upper bass and lower mids are veiled in a wierd way)
9. Sennheiser CX300-B
10. Apple poop pods

Update 2:

1. Westone W30 - (slightly brighter than the 4r, but with better bass slam, just as comfy)
2. Westone 4R - (smooth and dark with emphasis on midrange, a little sub bass shy, cable and ear hooks are pretty weak. An aftermarket cable does wonders, super comfy in my ear)
3. Ibasso IT01 - (just got this earphone in, amazing sound for the price, great cable, isolates well, good for EDM and Rock)
4. RHA MA-750 - (smooth and warm, but more sub bass focused which sometimes muddy's up the clarity of the midrange, great build quality)
5. Shure SE215 (too bloated in the bass, but otherwise a smooth sounding iem with good buld quality and excellent comfort and isloation)
6. Hifiman RE-400 (good sounding, but cannot get them to stay in my ears, build quality is not great)
7. Nuforce EDC (too much bass, but super comfortable)
8. Xiaomi Piston 2
9. Sony MDR-XB40EX (good clarity, but too much bass overall)
10. Nuforce Primo 8 (fit and build is fine, but upper bass and lower mids are veiled in a wierd way)
11. Sennheiser CX300-B
12. Apple poop pods

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back