Rank the IEM's you've heard
Aug 21, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #1,666 of 5,135
I wish this thread could also add which type of music you listen to and rank them. It will give more of a useful reference for what iem is good for what music. Its difficult to relate to these iems for someone who haven't listened to them. Giving a reference for what type of music and then rank the iems might be good for potential buyers as well so they know which one is good for the music they like.

Good idea. I'll be the first.

Aug 21, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #1,667 of 5,135
Update on my previous post

Current Top 5 IEMs (demoed or owned)

1. Sony Just Ear MH2 (I like listening the most, club second)—Best IEM ever without doubt in my mind, you guys should really check it out if you have a chance. Sadly I don't think they have many dealers and demos outside of Japan.
2&3. (tied) 64 Audio U18 tied with Shure KSE 1500
4. 64 Audio tia forte (too much tonal imbalance for my liking but stunningly engaging)
5. Noble Kaiser Encore (the just released Brass version is even better)

Reference: I like tight but not excessive bass (not excessive is an important part) with slight emphasis on lower mid (but does not affect the vocals). Everything else is roughly similar to everyone else.

Music: Listen to Jazz and R&B the most. Also with some listening time on funk, world music, pop, and pink floyd.

Aug 21, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #1,668 of 5,135

1. Sony Just Ear MH2 (I like listening the most, club second)—Best IEM ever without doubt in my mind, you guys should really check it out if you have a chance. Sadly I don't think they have many dealers and demos outside of Japan.
4. 64 Audio tia forte (too much tonal imbalance for my liking but stunningly engaging)

Reference: I like tight but not excessive bass (not excessive is an important part) with slight emphasis on lower mid (but does not affect the vocals). Everything else is roughly similar to everyone else.

Music: Listen to Jazz and R&B the most. Also with some listening time on funk, world music, pop, and pink floyd.

Why do many people like Pink Floyd? I really never enjoyed their music. Many friends like them, but I simply don't.

My favorite iem is zero tenore, and Massdrop nuforce EDC by the way. I'm really poor!

Aug 21, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #1,669 of 5,135
Why do many people like Pink Floyd? I really never enjoyed their music. Many friends like them, but I simply don't.

My favorite iem is zero tenore, and Massdrop nuforce EDC by the way. I'm really poor!

Poor but wise. I honestly believe that there's plenty of great choices in the sub 200$ range and forgiving selection too.

Add me to the list of those who "don't get" Pink Floyd. I think they are ok but forgettable. I have a soft spot for their track "Gunner's Dream". Strange huh?

Aug 21, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #1,670 of 5,135
Poor but wise. I honestly believe that there's plenty of great choices in the sub 200$ range and forgiving selection too.

Add me to the list of those who "don't get" Pink Floyd. I think they are ok but forgettable. I have a soft spot for their track "Gunner's Dream". Strange huh?

Thanks!

Gunners Dream actually I just started to listen to it after seeing your post, it's not bad!

Aug 21, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #1,671 of 5,135

Brass version of Noble Encore?????? I don't see it on their website. Do you have a link?

Aug 21, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #1,672 of 5,135

Seriously?

That's like asking why people like earphones with frequency responses plotted out by a guy undergoing electric shock therapy.

They've stood the test of time, going back to the 60s, so it must just be you?

Oh and Syd Barrett is the best Pink Floyd, IMO.

Chris

Aug 21, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #1,673 of 5,135
Seriously?

That's like asking why people like earphones with frequency responses plotted out by a guy undergoing electric shock therapy.

They've stood the test of time, going back to the 60s, so it must just be you?

Oh and Syd Barrett is the best Pink Floyd, IMO.

Chris

Must be me alone! I must be too poor mentally too.

Aug 22, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #1,676 of 5,135
Aug 22, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #1,677 of 5,135
Brass is an interesting choice. I can see how it may be a better IEM. Did they change the sound at all? Is it bare brass or does it have a coating?

I don't have an experience about brass but according to some reviewers pure silver housing has got some positive effects like better highs and tighter bass etc.
Look k2craft silver housing.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #1,678 of 5,135
I don't have an experience about brass but according to some reviewers pure silver housing has got some positive effects like better highs and tighter bass etc.
Look k2craft silver housing.

Isn't the Encore 10BA? If so BA does not benefit from housing material. Only the tubes matter. Or perhaps they changed the horn's shape

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Aug 22, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #1,679 of 5,135
Isn't the Encore 10BA? If so BA does not benefit from housing material. Only the tubes matter. Or perhaps they changed the horn's shape

Hyla nerva x is a 10 ba driver iem and it has a silver housing and reviews are very interesting. I think if silver is not necessary for sound they couldn't use this expensive material.
And the other one is rhapsodio zombie but it is hybrid, ba+dd. But zombie has got two version acrylic and silver and easily you can compare. And also encore has two types, we can easily compare alu and brass when it is available.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #1,680 of 5,135
Hyla nerva x is a 10 ba driver iem and it has a silver housing and reviews are very interesting. I think if silver is not necessary for sound they couldn't use this expensive material.
And the other one is rhapsodio zombie but it is hybrid, ba+dd. But zombie has got two version acrylic and silver and easily you can compare. And also encore has two types, we can easily compare alu and brass when it is available.

As said, housing material is irrelevant in the mix. The tubes affect the sound directly when it comes to a BA/multi-BA setup.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back