Rank the IEM's you've heard
Mar 11, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #1,067 of 5,136
  Yeah most of them praise those a lot !! I would love to have them for sure the sound tuning option is first class from what I read..thanks.

The tuning system is genius but It's a little finicky. It looks like FLC will remedy that with Celeste but that's a unicorn for now. 

Considering price-to-performance, I have yet to hear a better value than the 8S. It beats everything I've heard under $1K with the exception of the Sirius. Of course, that's heavily based on my preferences.

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #1,068 of 5,136
  The tuning system is genius but It's a little finicky. It looks like FLC will remedy that with Celeste but that's a unicorn for now. 

Considering price-to-performance, I have yet to hear a better value than the 8S. It beats everything I've heard under $1K with the exception of the Sirius. Of course, that's heavily based on my preferences.

Oh yeah remember them, often came up in the FLC thread, Well the price would certainly be on heavier side.. at-least for me heh.

Mar 12, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #1,069 of 5,136
Are you saying the Kaiser Encore is greater than or equal to the iSine 20, or simply greater than?

The Kaiser encores (I have the universals) are objectively better in most ways. Better bass and treble extension, sparklier treble, more clarity, and more resolving. They are more intimate and enveloping.

However, I think because of the planar magnetic driver and being semi-open, the isine 20s have a transparency, airyness, and presentation that is tremendously appealing and more like full size headphones. They definitely bat above their weight class.

I just got the isine's a couple days ago, and the encores a few weeks ago, so my opinions of both are evolving, but I'm definitely keeping both and will enjoy each for their respective strengths. While I think the encores will keep the top spot, I really, really like the isines.

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #1,070 of 5,136
The Kaiser encores (I have the universals) are objectively better in most ways. Better bass and treble extension, sparklier treble, more clarity, and more resolving. They are more intimate and enveloping.

However, I think because of the planar magnetic driver and being semi-open, the isine 20s have a transparency, airyness, and presentation that is tremendously appealing and more like full size headphones. They definitely bat above their weight class.

I just got the isine's a couple days ago, and the encores a few weeks ago, so my opinions of both are evolving, but I'm definitely keeping both and will enjoy each for their respective strengths. While I think the encores will keep the top spot, I really, really like the isines.

Ahh, I see. Have you heard the original Sine? If so, how does the iSine compare to it? Everyone keeps saying the iSine sounds like a set of cans but no one is comparing it to its closest relative. It would be interesting to see how they match up. I liked the Sine quite a bit.

I recently got the Kaiser Encore (U) myself and I can't find anything wrong the sound. It is definitely my new reference. The Katana is right up there with it.

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #1,071 of 5,136
Ahh, I see. Have you heard the original Sine? If so, how does the iSine compare to it? Everyone keeps saying the iSine sounds like a set of cans but no one is comparing it to its closest relative. It would be interesting to see how they match up. I liked the Sine quite a bit.

I recently got the Kaiser Encore (U) myself and I can't find anything wrong the sound. It is definitely my new reference. The Katana is right up there with it.

I haven't heard the original sine. I've heard the closed EL-8s briefly in a busy retail store (far less than ideal conditions), but not for long enough to get more than a snap impression.

I love the encores. They are spectacular. A definite and immediately noticeable bump up from my JH16s, which, when I got them in 2011, I thought were pretty perfect. At some point in the next few weeks I'll do a more lengthy review/write up of both the encores and the iSine 20s, but I want to have more time with them both before I do

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #1,072 of 5,136
I haven't heard the original sine. I've heard the closed EL-8s briefly in a busy retail store (far less than ideal conditions), but not for long enough to get more than a snap impression.

I love the encores. They are spectacular. A definite and immediately noticeable bump up from my JH16s, which, when I got them in 2011, I thought were pretty perfect. At some point in the next few weeks I'll do a more lengthy review/write up of both the encores and the iSine 20s, but I want to have more time with them both before I do

Cool! It's always interesting to see other people's impressions of gear I own. 
popcorn.gif

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #1,073 of 5,136
So I'm not sure if it's just the fact that they are planar and open, but I find the isine 10 to be quite similar to my he-6. In most technical aspects, I guessed the he-6 is better. But just from a frequency response and tonal standpoint they are similar.

Not like for like exactly, but quite similar. Biggest differences are the he-6 has a bit more weight and thump to the bass- isine 10 have a little more thick lower mids, kind of throaty in a sense but still airy and clear. It's a subtle difference. The isine 10 also has a bit less sparkle in the treble. Also, the he-6 sounds a little more liquid and "wet" while the isine 10 is a little more dry and smokey- true to the audeze house sound in that sense.

Really similar to my comparisons of the LCD-2f and he-6- e except the lcd2 had more bass kick and Less separation between instruments than the isine or he-6.

So with that here's my ranking

1 isine 10
1 Westone W60
2 Westone W40
2 JH AUDIO ANGIE UNI
2 Shure se846
2 JH AUDIO JH13PRO fp
2 JH AUDIO JH16PRO fp,
2 JH AUDIO ROXANNE UNI
2.5 ER4S
3 DREAM EARZ AUD-7X
3 JH AUDIO JH5PRO
3 SHURE SE535LTD
3 vsonic gr07x
3 mee audio pinnacle p1
3 phonak audeo pfe 232
3 vsonic gr07BE
3 JVC FX-850
4 klipsch s5i rugged/ S4
4 shure se215
5 bose in ear

I know as far as technicalities are concerned my list is off- but preferences override technical ability after you get past a certain resolution/clarity threshold.

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #1,074 of 5,136
I should also point out that when I describe the isine10 as having a smokey quality- it's less so than i remember the lcd2 being, probably because of the more balanced frequency response on the isine 10. But going off of memory here.

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #1,075 of 5,136
Kumitate Lab KL-Kanon (CIEM)    I spend hours with these daily.  Every day I have a moment where I stop and am amazed.
ASG 2.5  Bass is simply.... Holy ****!
ATH-IM70  These are DAMN good for the money
AAW A3H Pro (CIEM)   I got these on a whim from massdrop for sub 300.  They sound ok.  I use them for exercise.  Meh.
ATH-IM50  These are good, but not as refined as the IM70.  If this is a ported 12" subwoofer in your car, then the IM70 is dual 10"s in a sealed box, with more power.

When ordering my KL-Kanon, I was actually intent on purchasing the KL-REF, but after spending a few hours doing demos, I ordered the Kanon.  Sounded way better than the REF to me.  I'm trying the new Lahk next month when I visit Tokyo again.

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #1,076 of 5,136

While I cannot directly compare anymore, I can say by order of comparisons, the iSine blows away the sine.

I originally bought the PM-3 and Sine. The Sine narrowly edged out the PM-3. About a month later I bought the Audioquest Nighthawk, and it blew away both the Sine and PM-3(so I sold them). Then I got an HD700 which was a solid improvement over the Nighthawk. Then I got the iSine 10 and it beat my HD700(causing me to sell both the HD700 and Nighthawk). Then I upgraded to the iSine 20 because I got a great deal($200 off). And now my two main cans are the iSine20 and the HD800. They get about equal head time for me at my desk at home. I have just as many "wow" moments with the i20 as I do the HD800.

They really are an amazing bit of novel headphone tech. The way the soundstage is presented is an amazing experience. I like the soundstage of the i20 as much as the HD800, both for different reasons. It's crazy that Audeze created a product that destroys two other products of theirs. In my opinion, the original Sine and the EL-8 are useless with the iSine 10 available.

I know that all sounds a bit superlative and overexcited, but I've had the iSines over a month now, got the HD800 a week ago, and still that's how I truthfully feel about the iSine.

As far as this thread:

1. iSine 20
2. iSine 10
3. Hisenior DC8
4. FLC8s
5. Fidue A83
6. JVC FXZ200
7. T-Peos Altone 200
After that it's mostly misc. cheapies that didn't really have a hifi sound

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #1,077 of 5,136
Have any comments about isine 10 vs isine 20?

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #1,078 of 5,136
Have any comments about isine 10 vs isine 20?

Here's a copy of my initial impressions:
_____

Disclaimer, the following statements come after only an hour or so of A/Bing the 10 and 20 with the 3.5mm cable and is all in my opinion.

The 20 is simply not worth the retail $200 markup over the 10. I get a little better instrument separation  on the 20. Treble is a little toned down vs the 10 with treble overall being cleaner, less splashy. If I squint my ears, maybe there's some more bass impact and speed. Soundstage is the same on both units, maybe feeling a hair smaller on the 20 because of the treble being a notch lower. Overall the majority of the sound difference is in the treble region and it's not a huge enough change to warrant $200 more, again in my opinion from a relatively short comparison.

Now the cipher cable IS worth the $50 increase in price. I really like the default eq and dsp enhancements and convenience over my Creative E5.

The 10 with cipher cable(if you own an i device) is the sweet spot for dollars:audio. If you can find a stupid deal and pay like $20 to upgrade to the 20 like I did, go for it. The sound quality change is worth maybe $50 and if you listen to music more passively, like while gaming or reading, you will probably not notice after zoning out of "audio review mode".

The colors on the 20 are sick though. I didn't realize the housing was a different color too, I thought just the grill was changes. The housing on the 20 is like a metallic dark black/brown with a vague hint of purple while the 10 is just flat black.

So now having tried both with and without cipher, kudos to Audeze on the 10. It's an amazing bit of new tech in the headphone world and has a really nice quality to price ratio even at launch MSRP. On the other hand, the 20 feels like a cash grab directed to the upgradeitis crowd or people who just want to own the highest end of a line. While there is an objective improvement, it's not really worth the $200. 
_____

None of those impressions really changed after another couple days with both the i10 and i20. So yea, the only reason I have the i20 instead of the i10 is because I got the i20 with cipher for like $419 or $409. I suggest getting the i10 first, and if you're totally committed to the sound of them, returning them and then getting the i20. I would not jump directly to the i20.

Mar 13, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #1,079 of 5,136
  1) 64 Audio U12 ADEL
2) CA Vega
3) CA Andromeda
4) Earsonics Velvet
5) JVC HA-FX 850 
6) JH Rosie
7) Sony XBA 3

1) 64 Audio U12 ADEL - Everything I want in an IEM - Punch bass with great extension, forward mids with fluid vocals. No treble harshness at all. I wish they were slightly more resolving though. Sound signature can be customized using modules.

2) Unique Melody Mason - Some treble peaks but beside from that very neutral and no complaints.

3) Custom Art Harmony 8.2 - Best mids ever in an IEM. Vocals are so resolving and clear. Mid-expert IEM.

4) CA Vega - Best bass in an high end IEM.

5) CA Andromeda - Airy IEM with great soundstage.

6) Earsonics Velvet - Fast punchy bass.

7) Custom Art Ei.XX - Very good sound for its price.

8) JVC HA-FX 850 - IEM with an extremely natural timbre. However, these can't compete at TOTL level. I am still looking for an upgrade to these.

9) JH Rosie - Slightly more sibilant than usual.

10) Sony XBA 3 - Okay.

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #1,080 of 5,136
+1

Hahaha. I haven't been on this site very long but things have escalated rather quickly! I just knew I was gonna stay in the MidFi bracket but one thing led to another and before I knew it, I had bought, sold, and traded my way up the ladder! The rabbit hole is much deeper than I thought! :blink:  I should add that my end-game is 1 TOTL balanced armature set, 1 TOTL hybrid set, and 1 TOTL dynamic driver set. Everything else will be a fond memory. I'm projecting the following:

Noble Kaiser Encore or Katana
Fidue Sirius A91
Campfire Vega

I'm still very interested in the Zeus XR ADEL, FLC Celeste, and Dita Dream but I should be good for a long while.

Midfi can you please give a quick review between the campfire vega and noble encore?

I had a chance to demo the andromeda and was blown away, but would ultimately love to find an IEM with the same level of soundstage and imaging with a tad more bass.

Please!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back