Rank the IEM's you've heard
Jan 24, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #1,036 of 5,136
My preferences have changed from midhead, to neutralhead, to neutral with slight warmth-head, to stagehead. A more forgiving, all-rounder monitor (with a nice big stage too) is important as I like to play tracks at random. Coherence does not matter much to me.

1. 64 Audio Adel A12 - The complete package, if paired with the right source. Stunning tuning/soundstage/separation.
2. Oriolus MK2 - The best hybrid I've heard, with a masterful romantic tuning, and tons of air.
3. Rhapsodio Galaxy V2 - Smooth musicality defined. My showcase single dynamic. Trails Oriolus only in soundstage.
4. Campfire Audio Andromeda (sold) - Brilliant neutral tuning, soundstage and air. Pity the fit and BA bass.
5. Perfect Seal AR6 - My neutral reference, with airy and beautiful mids. All-rounder extraordinaire.
6. Rhapsodio Solar (sold) - The best U-shaped IEM I've had. Delightful lush tuning, but A12 surpassed it in most aspects.
7. JH Audio JH13 Pro FreqPhase - Fast, aggressive, punchy, dare I say cocky. Endgame for rock, but small stage size.
8. AK T8iE MkII (sold) - Dynamic, immersive and fun. Imaging is among the best. Upper mids lift too much at times.
9. Ocharaku Flat4-Akazakura Plus - Best bass decay I've ever heard, with splendid instrument timbre. Merciless treble prevents this from ranking higher.
10. CustomArt Harmony 8 Pro - HD800-like tuning, I get my treble fix from this guy. Excels at bass speed and texture too.
11. Advanced Acousticwerkes W500 AHMorph - Marvelous subbass, but limited ear time due to the large shells.
12. Noble Audio K10U (sold) - The "can do no wrong" all-rounder. Felt tuning was too safe to be special.
13. Rhapsodio Galaxy V1 (sold) - Has treble spikes and lacks air, but has superb basssss. Kinda miss it.
14. Campfire Audio Jupiter (sold) - Like Andro, with more bass and less stage depth. Wonderful tuning, but once again, the fit.
15. JH Audio Angie Universal (sold) - Fantastic midcentric tuning, but sold due to poor fit. They huge! Surpassed by AR6.
16. Shure SE846 (sold) - Boomy bass (in a good way) and lush mids, but treble tameness and a tiny soundstage put me off.

The others are from mid-fi and budget-fi.

Would love to hear Zeus XR-ADEL, KSE1500, S-EM9, Aether, SE5U and NT6 before I high-tail it from here, forever.

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #1,037 of 5,136
EagleWings' IEM Ranking:

1. Zeus-XIV - Tech: 86, Tone: 75
Pros: Mid-Range, Transparency, Imaging, 3D Positioning, Separation & Layering, Instrument Focus, Timbre
Cons: BA type Bass, Note Body, Treble

2. AAW W900 - Tech: 83, Tone 79
Pros: Stage Width, Separation, Bass, Mid-Range
Cons: Smeared Treble, Not Completely Coherent

3. Zeus-XIV-ADEL - Tech: 81, Tone: 71
Pros: Soundstage, Separation & Layering, Airiness
Cons: Bright Treble, Poor Tone, Instruments Not Focused as Non-ADEL Version

4. Rhapsodio Galaxy V1 - Tech: 84, Tone 68
Pros: Bass, Bass and Treble Extensions, Resolution, Stage Width
Cons: Bright and Harsh, Lacks Air

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #1,038 of 5,136
  Overall Ranking of IEMs I Own/Have Owned:

1. Zeus-XIV-ADEL (Cons: BA Type Bass and Sensitive)
2. Rhapsodio Galaxy V1 (Cons: Lacks Tonal Balance, Soundstage Depth and Airiness)
3. 64 Audio A10 (Cons: Mids are a bit laid-back, Lacks Transparency and Average Timbre)

Category Ranking:

Bass Quality:
Midrange Quality:
Treble Quality:
1. Rhapsodio Galaxy V1, V2
2. 64 Audio A12
3. EE Zeus
1. EE Zeus
2. Noble Katana
3. Noble K10
1. Vibro Labs Aria
2. Empire Ears Zeus
3. 64 Audio A10
Sub-Bass Extension:
Midrange Clarity:
Treble Extension:
2. EE Zeus
3. 64 Audio A12
1. Noble Katana
2. JH Layla II
3. Rhapsodio Galaxy V2
2. EE Zeus
3. Earsonics S-EM9
Speed:
Detail Retrieval:
Resolution:
1. Earsonics S-EM9
2. Rhapsodio Galaxy V1, V2
3. Earsonics Velvets
1. Rhapsodio Galaxy V1
2. EE Zeus
3. JH Layla II
2. EE Zeus
3. Earsonics S-EM9
Width and Separation:
Depth and Layering:
Imaging Precision:
1. JH Layla II
2. EE Zeus
3. Rhapsodio Galaxy V1, V2
1. EE Zeus
2. 64 Audio A10
3. Earsonics S-EM9
1. EE Zeus
2. Rhapsodio Galaxy V1, V2
3. 64 Audio A10

Contenders:

Owned:
64 Audio A10 | EE Zeus XIV-ADEL | Rhapsodio Galaxy V1
Auditioned Extensively:
64 Audio A12 | Earsonics Velvet | Rapsodio Galaxy V2 | Vibro Labs Aria
Short Audition:
Earsonics S-EM9 | JH Audio Layla II | Noble K10, Katana

Great stuff.

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #1,039 of 5,136
I've been a basshead for all of my audio "career", and that hasn't (and isn't going to be) changed since then. Bass is typically my first priority, but there are definitely caught my eye that excel in other areas so well that I'll be willing to close an eye for.

The contenders, based off recent memory.

1. Jomo Samba
Some of the best bass I've heard out of a BA. Slight V-shaped tonality, amazing treble extension with great balance of musical and reference tonality. The best treble I've heard, sparkling energetically without being too fatiguing. And I don't even own one of them.

2. AAW W500 AHMorph
Not the best mids. Not the best treble. But is solidly number 2 simply by virtue two things: the best bass I've ever heard and the AHMorph module. I auditioned IEMs for 6 months before finally settling on this one.

3. 64 Audio A12
Bass. Staging. Imaging. Very "live" sound that carries energy and low-end power well.

4. Ultimate Ears UE18+ Pro
The first thing that pops to your mind when you hear the new UE18 is coherency. Balanced sound with a refinement and tonality that is completely unlike the typical TOTL.

5. Unique Melody Legacy
Apparently a Singaporean exclusive model, the Legacy is custom-tuned to be more friendly. The end result is an amazingly smooth and well extended IEM in the same vein as the Samba.

6. Custom Art Harmony 8.2
Relaxed, smooth signature that introduces emotion and warmth into every song. The perfect lounging IEM.

7. Campfire Andromeda
It's hard to describe what the Andromeda does well. Friendly tuning, amazing coherency and spot-on timbre coupled with deep soundstaging only scrapes the surface on what it's truly capable of.

8. Lime Ears Aether
One of the most tasteful uses of the bass boost switch I've heard. Clarity and detail is not compromised in its bass-orientated tuning.

9. Empire Ears Zeus-XIV
It's only so low on my list purely for preference reasons. It has some of the best technicalities in the TOTL realm, sounding dynamic and energetic, though relatively sub-par bass performance does dock it a lot of points in my own opinion.

10. Rhines Stage 7
Sweet and melodic mids that outshine anything in the competition. If the best treble goes to the Samba and the best bass goes to the W500, the best mids is the Stage 7 bar none.

My incoming W900 will be updated into the rankings when I actually get it.

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #1,043 of 5,136

1. AAW W900
Easily the best positioning and soundstage I've heard in an IEM. Stellar bass response that, while doesn't touch the heights of the W500, is still pretty solid and beats out any BA woofer. Extremely flat treble that makes others sound peaky in comparison.

2. Jomo Samba (down from 1)
Some of the best bass I've heard out of a BA. Slight V-shaped tonality, amazing treble extension with great balance of musical and reference tonality. The best treble I've heard, sparkling energetically without being too fatiguing. And I don't even own one of them.

3. AAW W500 AHMorph (down from 2)
Not the best mids. Not the best treble. But is solidly number 2 simply by virtue two things: the best bass I've ever heard and the AHMorph module. I auditioned IEMs for 6 months before finally settling on this one.

4. Ultimate Ears UE18+ Pro
The first thing that pops to your mind when you hear the new UE18 is coherency. Balanced sound with a refinement and tonality that is completely unlike the typical TOTL.

5. 64 Audio A12 (down from 3)
Staging. Imaging. The best BA bass I've heard. Very "live" sound that carries energy and low-end power well.

6. Unique Melody Legacy (down from 5)
Apparently a Singaporean exclusive model, the Legacy is custom-tuned to be more friendly. The end result is an amazingly smooth and well extended IEM in the same vein as the Samba.

7. Custom Art Harmony 8.2 (down from 6)
Relaxed, smooth signature that introduces emotion and warmth into every song. The perfect lounging IEM.

8. Campfire Andromeda (down from 7)
It's hard to describe what the Andromeda does well. Friendly tuning, amazing coherency and spot-on timbre coupled with deep soundstaging only scrapes the surface on what it's truly capable of.

9. Empire Ears Zeus-XIV
It's only so low on my list purely for preference reasons. It has some of the best technicalities in the TOTL realm, sounding dynamic and energetic, though relatively sub-par bass performance does dock it a lot of points in my own opinion.

10. Rhines Stage 7
Sweet and melodic mids that outshine anything in the competition. If the best treble goes to the Samba and the best bass goes to the W500, the best mids is the Stage 7 bar none.

OUT OF THE RUNNING

Lime Ears Aether (out from 8)
One of the most tasteful uses of the bass boost switch I've heard. Clarity and detail is not compromised in its bass-orientated tuning.

A reshuffle of my rankings after some more audition sessions and with the introduction of the W900.

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #1,044 of 5,136
I'm looking for Hum Pristine's ranking, does anyone here have it?

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #1,045 of 5,136
If we can include earbuds,

Grado gr10e 
Rose Mojito
Campfire Nova == LZ A4
bose soundsport
The ones included with samsung galaxy
some skull candy one's my brother owned.

I also owned a pair of sennheiser IEMs a long time ago but don't remember how they sounded since they were soonafter destroyed by my cats.

Feb 17, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #1,046 of 5,136
Zeus XR > Jomo Samba > Hum Pristine > U18 >  Noble Encore > Katana > Andromeda > AAW W500 > JH13 > Shure 846

Users who are viewing this thread

Back