Rank the IEM's you've heard
Jun 19, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #1,501 of 5,135
Been on this forum less than a year. Damn this hobby is addicting! Here is my list.

1. U18, damn this iem is really good. Big sound, feels like hearing from headphone, insane transparency, soundstage and detail. But that price..

2. Prophile 8, close to U18 with smaller soundstage.

3. JH Layla I, expansive soundstage and well bodied notes.

4. Andromeda, expansive 3D soundstage, warm with sparkle. Bit analytic to me.

5. Fitear 334, good mid and vocal.

6. Noble Audio Sage, good balance, warm, good soundstage for the price and engaging

7. iSine 20, good detail, expansive but Audeze signature is not my cup of tea.

W900 latest update tuning with new cable is coming, also Empire Ears Bravado and Rhapsodio Zombie. Will see how they come to the list.

Looking forward to hearing about your thoughts on the Bravado!

Jun 19, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #1,502 of 5,135
this is a ROUGH estimate. These are all incredible iems and I would take any one of them and be a happy camper. Best bang for the buck is a used ie800, hands down. They give top notch clarity and resolution for 350ish used. a little bright but lively and engaging and laid back enough to be non fatiguing.

Best of the best-

CAMPFIRE ANDROMEDA- Again, these are incredibly even in the frequency response, bright but warm, not fatiguing, not splashy, just right. forward presentation but large stage. I prefer the frequency response of these to the ie800, but sometimes the imperfections of frequency response give a little more life and wow factor, which is why I ultimately preferred the ie800 even though I think the andro's are "better" if that makes sense.

You help alleviate the pull I am having toward the Andro's. I want them but I bought my ie800's for $550 new (authorized dealer) and just don't think I will be happy paying the premium over the 800's.

Jun 19, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #1,503 of 5,135
1. Legend X
2. Andromeda
3. Atlas
4. Shure kse 1500
5. Shure 535
6. Vega
7. Shure 425
8. Westone w80
9. Shure 215

I’ve actually been looking for a used Andromeda or W80 since used they’re very similar in price.
From what I’ve read they’re very similar but Andros have more sparkle in the treble vs w80.

Build quality has to go to Andros hands down but Westone has amazing comfort so I am wondering since the w80’s are towards the bottom(in a list of my dream iems) is there another big weakness in the W80s to your ears that I should lookout for or is it mainly just about the treble?

Jun 19, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #1,504 of 5,135
1. Legend X
2. Andromeda
3. Atlas
4. Shure kse 1500
5. Shure 535
6. Vega
7. Shure 425
8. Westone w80
9. Shure 215
Quite interesting that you have the SE425 and 535 over the W80

W80 have become one of my favorites even more than the Andromeda. But this makes it all great because we all have different ears and preferences :)

Jun 19, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #1,505 of 5,135

W80 have become one of my favorites even more than the Andromeda. But this makes it all great because we all have different ears and preferences :)

SE425’s vocals are pretty darn good.

Jun 19, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #1,506 of 5,135
SE425’s vocals are pretty darn good.
I had SE425 and SE530 and did not feel the same way. Vocals felt flat to me, not enough body.

Jun 19, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #1,507 of 5,135
Jun 19, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #1,508 of 5,135

Honestly, it probably is because I had only listened to them in the airport for a brief few minutes.

I think shure vocals are sweet too, but the pairing has to be right. I used the 425 on regular ipod classic and loved it. Then, I purchased the 535 and vocals imo were unlike anything I had heard with ak jr. I never knew I even liked vocals. I purchased the w1ma and everything is obviously a big upgrade but the vocals dont shine like they did on the ak jr. Female vocal trance is what I was listening too and the ak 535 combo really did something special. Wish I never sold it. Tried 2 differnt daps since then but was unimpressed and returned them.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #1,509 of 5,135
Honestly, it probably is because I had only listened to them in the airport for a brief few minutes.

I think shure vocals are sweet too, but the pairing has to be right. I used the 425 on regular ipod classic and loved it. Then, I purchased the 535 and vocals imo were unlike anything I had heard with ak jr. I never knew I even liked vocals. I purchased the w1ma and everything is obviously a big upgrade but the vocals dont shine like they did on the ak jr. Female vocal trance is what I was listening too and the ak 535 combo really did something special. Wish I never sold it. Tried 2 differnt daps since then but was unimpressed and returned them.
This hobby is a quest for the perfect combo

Jun 20, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #1,510 of 5,135
I’ve actually been looking for a used Andromeda or W80 since used they’re very similar in price.
From what I’ve read they’re very similar but Andros have more sparkle in the treble vs w80.

Build quality has to go to Andros hands down but Westone has amazing comfort so I am wondering since the w80’s are towards the bottom(in a list of my dream iems) is there another big weakness in the W80s to your ears that I should lookout for or is it mainly just about the treble?

Have you had a chance to listen to the w80? I had a brief listen to it in the airport using single ended out of my wm1a. I played some alternative rock and some trance. I have a lot of experience of the shure sound and am probably a big fan of their style, that could have swayed me. The w80 was my first westone and always wanted to try westone. When I listened it was a very smooth laid back sound but nothing popped out that grabbed my attention. Normally when I listen to an iem that I really like, I get a big grin but unfortunately the w80 didnt do it for me.

In my brief listen it sounded a little dull, could be because it wasnt broken in. Imo the andro beats it hands down but take that with a grain of salt cause who knows they might be for you. Goodluck. I sold my andromedas they will be missed. The legend x ticks all boxes for me.

Jun 20, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #1,511 of 5,135
I ask regarding a fairly large financial commitment for IEMs: $1,000 or more UD dollars.

In spending this or more on IEM, does the country where it is made factor into your thinking in terms of build quality and longevity?

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #1,512 of 5,135
I ask regarding a fairly large financial commitment for IEMs: $1,000 or more UD dollars.

In spending this or more on IEM, does the country where it is made factor into your thinking in terms of build quality and longevity?

It personally does for me.

I like to pick a company that does the design and in-house manufacturing vs. design + outsource it to another manufacturer. I find QC is better that way as they have more of a direct oversight into production.

A lot of USA companies do this, ex: Campfire Audio, Empire Ears and Etymotic (XR and SR lines). So I buy from them. I also prefer USA companies as I find their customer service is better (more responsive and accommodating) + I live in North America so shipping is easy + not much of a culture distance (easy to talk to).

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #1,513 of 5,135
It personally does for me.

I like to pick a company that does the design and in-house manufacturing vs. design + outsource it to another manufacturer. I find QC is better that way as they have more of a direct oversight into production.

A lot of USA companies do this, ex: Campfire Audio, Empire Ears and Etymotic (XR and SR lines). So I buy from them. I also prefer USA companies as I find their customer service is better (more responsive and accommodating) + I live in North America so shipping is easy + not much of a culture distance (easy to talk to).

I agree regarding outsourcing. It is more difficult to maintain quality control no matter what the company says. Factory managers face fierce competition to produce and even the slightest cutting of costs can make the difference.

I also know that some companies end up with sterling reputations in manufacturing, so regardless of me admitting this is true or not, it influences my thinking.

I am thinking in terms of longevity regarding the quality of the build.

Still new to the audiophile world, my T8 ie (first gen) are going well.

Is there a consensus of expectation of how long IEM will last?

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #1,514 of 5,135
I agree regarding outsourcing. It is more difficult to maintain quality control no matter what the company says. Factory managers face fierce competition to produce and even the slightest cutting of costs can make the difference.

I also know that some companies end up with sterling reputations in manufacturing, so regardless of me admitting this is true or not, it influences my thinking.

I am thinking in terms of longevity regarding the quality of the build.

Still new to the audiophile world, my T8 ie (first gen) are going well.

Is there a consensus of expectation of how long IEM will last?
AKG 3003i is a great example of great outsourcing product.
It all depends on how much cost those companies want to spend.
higher the cost higher the quality.
But basically, companies do outsourcing because they want to save cost.
I agree with you guys but I also want to add warranty in it, cause you never know what happens after that.

For example:

PLEASE NOTE - We are no longer servicing Aerous VX Series, the JH3A, first generation Roxanne universal IEMs, Astell & Kern Carbon Fiber Layla and Kevlar Angie universal IEMs, and Astell & Kern Full Metal Jacket Rosie, AngieII, RoxanneII, and LaylaII universal IEMs.

Jun 28, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #1,515 of 5,135
Some updates:

1. Empire Ears Legend X / Campfire Audio Atlas
2. Campfire Andromeda
3. Empire Ears Phantom
4. Etymotic ER4SR
5. Earsonic ES5
6. Beyerdynamic Xelento
7. AKG N5005
8. Empire Ears Spartan
9. Empire Ears Bravado
10. Massdrop Plus