Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Jun 4, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #3,001 of 8,135
I have two pair..

One is a pair of Microsoft LX-3000 media headset.
I got it for the mic about six years ago for $30. It now goes for ~$23 on Amazon.
It really is the best value headset out there in my opinion.
First of all, the **** is durable. I have not been gentle to them at all and they show almost no signs of wear.
The sound is balanced. I mean, none of it is very good. It sounds decent with a good EQ, but the USB interface I think is what makes them as good as they are.
But it doesn't really have a weak point. It isn't like you think "Wow, the bass is just mud on these.." or "Where the mids at" or "The highs just sound dull or covered with tin foil"
It's more like listening to a poorly encoded audio file.
Great for gaming, travel, or casual use for those on a budget. I recommend them.

The other is a long-term borrow pair of AKG K240 Monitors.
They have absolutely beautiful highs and mids, but their mid bass and sub bass is just gone.
While it's perfectly fine for rock, acoustic, classical, and 80's synth, (the music of the days they are from) they suck for dubstep and hip hop as half the song is missing, and the subtle bass undertone is a large part of good dubstep. It sets the mood for the whole track.
They're a little awkward to wear since they're huge, but I really like how the band flexes so much.
The open back design is a problem in the real world. Fine in a studio, but...

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #3,005 of 8,135
 I only have three headphones at present but I will list all my phones that I have used.
1) akg 701 I have over the time I have owned them gone back and forth on my preference between the 701s and the lcd2.Presently i prefer the 701 for its distinct advantage over the lcd2 v2 on soundstage reproduction which is a definite shortcoming of the lcd2.
2) audeze lcd2 v2 Marvelously musical and rarely if ever never sounds less than at least good but is not the most neutral headphone around.
3) stax lamda pro with the dedicated tube amp.wonderfully transparent but let down by the amp.Amp sounded very tubey in the old fashion tube fashion.Bas was rather tubby and dynamics were just not all that great.The amp did improve somewhat when I used a siver wire homemade power cord from a friend.This tightened up the amp and made it more neutral sounding and a lot quicker.
4) stax lambda with energizer box(rewired with high quality wiring)Transparent sounding when used with my old threshold amp that I had at the time
5) yamaha orthodynamic headphones from the 70s do not remeber what the model was but these were of an open back design that would fold up.From what i rememeber they were light pretty comfortable and wer very easy to drive.They sounded pretty neutral from what I can remeber and sounded good even when driven by the headphone amp section of various receivers and tape decks that I had at the time.I think these would have been interesting to hear with a modern headphone amp.I think they would have been pretty good.
6) grado rs1i easy to drive but definitely not the most neutral headphone design.A little tipped up in the high end.Very uncomfortable headphone for long term listening sessions.The headband design on this phone is a joke reminiscent of ham radio headsets of long ago.
7) several pairs of koss pro 4aa headphones.These were popular at the time  in the seventies but the coiled headphone cord would eventually cause the headphone to cut in and out from beeing stressed.That is why I went thru several of these.From what I can remember they were very heavy and you would eventually sweat and your ears would flush from the liquid filled headphone ear cushions.I thought they sounded pretty good at the time.

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #3,006 of 8,135
 I only have three headphones at present but I will list all my phones that I have used.
1) akg 701 I have over the time I have owned them gone back and forth on my preference between the 701s and the lcd2.Presently i prefer the 701 for its distinct advantage over the lcd2 v2 on soundstage reproduction which is a definite shortcoming of the lcd2.
2) audeze lcd2 v2 Marvelously musical and rarely if ever never sounds less than at least good but is not the most neutral headphone around.
3) stax lamda pro with the dedicated tube amp.wonderfully transparent but let down by the amp.Amp sounded very tubey in the old fashion tube fashion.Bass was rather tubby and dynamics were just not all that great.The amp did improve somewhat when I used a siver wire homemade power cord from a friend.This tightened up the amp and made it more neutral sounding and a lot quicker.
4) stax lambda with energizer box(rewired with high quality wiring)Transparent sounding when used with my old threshold amp that I had at the time
5) yamaha orthodynamic headphones from the 70s do not remeber what the model was but these were of an open back design that would fold up.From what i rememeber they were light pretty comfortable and were very easy to drive.They sounded pretty neutral from what I can remember and sounded good even when driven by the headphone amp section of various receivers and tape decks that I had at the time.I think these would have been interesting to hear with a modern headphone amp.I think they would have been pretty good.
6) grado rs1i easy to drive but definitely not the most neutral headphone design.A little tipped up in the high end.Very uncomfortable headphone for long term listening sessions.The headband design on this phone is a joke reminiscent of ham radio headsets of long ago.
7) several pairs of koss pro 4aa headphones.These were popular at the time  in the seventies but the coiled headphone cord would eventually cause the headphone to cut in and out from beeing stressed.That is why I went thru several of these.From what I can remember they were very heavy and you would eventually sweat and your ears would flush from the liquid filled headphone ear cushions.I thought they sounded pretty good at the time.

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #3,007 of 8,135
1. Byerdynamics 990, best overall for various types of music, imo.
2. 880s, best for classical
3. 770s
4. Grado RS1i, best for rock
5. Senn HD 580
5. Grado 125

That's all for now, but fathers Day is approaching!

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #3,008 of 8,135
Quote:
15)hd205
14)hd429
13)hd238
12)hd239
11)hd438
10)hd439
9)hd515
8)koss ksc75
7)px100ii
6)hd598
5)hd650
4)hd800
3)hd700
2)beyer dynamics tesla t1
1)audeze lcd 2.
i hv made a timetable for my headphones.. well i listen to each and every headphone before i sleep.. but this time table is only for holidays..

Liking the HD 700 more than the HD 800? I and my wallet like reading that.

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #3,010 of 8,135
Quote:
Lawls. I was thinking the same thing.

Quote:

Liking the HD 700 more than the HD 800? I and my wallet like reading that.

THe music details in HD800>>HD700. the mid range is really what i like about hd800. but hd700 has something that engages me more.. does well with my music. i am into rock,metal more.. so hd700 is little better for these genres. if classical,jazz,acoustic songs are ur choice then u will like hd800.hd700 doesnt deliver that sound.. its personal liking is'nt it...

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #3,011 of 8,135
currently
1) He500 + OCC cable (dont like the silver ones at all)
2) HD600+oyaide cable (its not really my taste but cant be denied that this is very good cans)
3) ATH W1kx = Denon D5k cant really decide
4)Hd25
5)Shure940

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #3,014 of 8,135
Quote:

THe music details in HD800>>HD700. the mid range is really what i like about hd800. but hd700 has something that engages me more.. does well with my music. i am into rock,metal more.. so hd700 is little better for these genres. if classical,jazz,acoustic songs are ur choice then u will like hd800.hd700 doesnt deliver that sound.. its personal liking is'nt it...

I'm just happy to read things like this. Trying to decide between the HE-500 and HD 700, so any info matters to me.

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #3,015 of 8,135
Quote:
I'm just happy to read things like this. Trying to decide between the HE-500 and HD 700, so any info matters to me.

As always it depends on your tastes. The HD700 has some peaks in the mids and treble that many people find highly engaging, and also give the impression of greater detail, but I personally don't like it as it makes some voices sound unnatural. HE-500 has a smoother, flatter, more natural sounding midrange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back