Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Mar 1, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #2,056 of 8,138

Quote:
No I have not heard them but cool that you thought to modify them.  Did you mean to order fakes for that purpose...or what happened?
What's the story?

Yeah i ordered fakes on purpose, mainly because some people on some forums said they sounded the same as the originals, and they did! But their sound just got very boring and bass and bass and bass and only bass, so i decided to recycle my dad's old 141s, which already had a broken headband and a dent in the left driver, which was unfixable if not bu opening the phones up.
.so i thought why not? And i just took out the "original" drivers, milled the internals a bit with a dremel and hot glued the akg drivers inside :)

Mar 1, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #2,057 of 8,138

Quote:

Yeah i ordered fakes on purpose, mainly because some people on some forums said they sounded the same as the originals, and they did! But their sound just got very boring and bass and bass and bass and only bass, so i decided to recycle my dad's old 141s, which already had a broken headband and a dent in the left driver, which was unfixable if not bu opening the phones up.
.so i thought why not? And i just took out the "original" drivers, milled the internals a bit with a dremel and hot glued the akg drivers inside :)

...good stuff.  

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #2,061 of 8,138
1) DT770/80
2) HD598
3) K540
4) SR125

770 just has a very engaging sound for a wide range of music.  The 598 is better for classical / female vocals, and it is definitely clearer, just not as forward with their sound, too airy at times.  When you want to lay back, relax, and listen the 598s are great but I usually listen while typing on here.  540 beats 125 just because the 125 make me have awful pain after an hour, bearable up until then but after an hour it's awful.  I wear glasses too so that doesn't help.

Mar 9, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #2,062 of 8,138
Headphones that i own:

1- Westone Um3x.
2- Denon D2000.
3- Sennheiser HD598.
4- Sennheiser HD 25 C-II.
5- Creative Aurvana Live.
6- Ue super fi 5.
7- Shure srh750dj.
8- Sennheiser px100.

Iems i have/have tryed:

1- Westone Um3x.
2- Shure se530.
3- Earsonics Sm3.
4- Monster Pro Copper.
5- Ue super fi 5

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #2,066 of 8,138
Well, being a useless Me Electronics fanboy who can currently only afford IEM's...
Funny cause this is a Headphone thread...

1. Mee M9 ($20)
2.Mee SP51 ($40)
3. Mee M11+ ($35)
4.Mee M31

Really want to get my hands on the A151.... But you know, asian parents.

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #2,067 of 8,138
Updating:

• Ultrasone PRO-2900 (Still burning in but already love them)
  • Ultrasone HFI-2400
  • V-Moda M80
  • Sennheiser HD-555 / Ultrasone DJ1 (my gaming headets w/ Antlion mod mic)

I think I might be developing an Ultrasone addiction... 
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #2,069 of 8,138

Quote:
Going from a HD-555 to a PRO 2900 is quiite some difference in bass impact
biggrin.gif

The HD-555's kind of kicked off everything for me.  I've had the DJ1's for many years but for some reason (possibly source, don't remember what I used to listen to them with when I first got them) I never used to appreciate them as much as I do now.  While those were sitting forgotten on a shelf last May I saw that Amazon was having a sale on the Sennheisers for $85.  I knew Sennheiser had a good reputation and after some research and reviews (also how I found Head-Fi) I decided to try them out.  I was amazed at detail and soundstage of them (especially compared to the Bose on-ear headset I had been using for listening at work) but the one thing I was never really happy about with them was the bass.  

More research here led to a FiiO e7 so I could get decent audio out of my work PC and I thought the bass boost would be enough to get the 555's sound where I wanted.  Turns out I might be a bit of a basshead because while that helped it definitely wasn't enough.  I had started listening to the DJ1's more on the e7 and realizing I never gave them the credit they deserved, they couldn't touch the 555's soundstage though.  Browsing Ultrasone's site one night I saw that the HFI-2400's were an open design and after checking the price on Amazon I just pulled the trigger right then based on my experience with the DJ1's and the open 555's.  Absolutely loved those, so much so that while researching the PRO-900's (the legendary bass they seem to be known for had me intrigued) I found the thread on the PRO-2900's and struggled for a month before finally giving in to the inevitable and ordering them, fearing the e7 might not be enough to do them justice and wanting some headroom for possible future headphones I ordered the e9 as well.  

I've only had the 2900's for two days, should be fun experiencing the changes as they burn in.  From others impressions I'm expecting they will only get better over time, the bass is already glorious.  I'm very happy with the equipment I have right now, the only thing I could see getting anytime soon is the FiiO e17 to replace the e7 (I listen a lot at work so the ability to use it at home docked in the e9 and as the all-in-one solution at work is important to me and something I get a lot of use out of currently with the e7).  Needless to say there's quite a few mods my truck won't be getting this summer that paid for headphones instead but I don't regret that choice at all. 
beyersmile.png

Mar 11, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #2,070 of 8,138

hehe thanks :)

Quote:
^Lol!!^

I see people thinking he is a troll for saying that, it's sad. Some people can't seem to decode humor or laugh spontaneously anymore.

From best to least best:
1) Quarter modded HD414 - Bowls sandwich pad (but only for the black star drivers, unless you have a very special Grado)

2) Joseph Grado HP2, built by John Grado

3) John Grado SR100-0, drivers by Joseph Grado

4) John Grado RS1, SR325i, SR325-b, SR200 pink drivers, ex aequo 

Actually I think I can also rank my Grado Labs headphones, sorry:
4) RS1
5) SR325i
6) SR325-b
7) SR200 pink drivers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back