Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Jan 8, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #1,909 of 8,134
Haven't bought any new headphones since my last posting in this thread, but my preferences changed a little:

1. Sennheiser HD 650
2. AKG K240 Sextett LP
3. German Maestro GMP 250
4. MB Quart Phone 90 X
5. BeyerDynamic DT 880 closed back (NoXter mod)
6. German Maestro GMP 8.300 D

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #1,910 of 8,134
I’ve gone through a whole bunch of headphones the last year. Here’s my current lineup (I’m happy with all of them) and my rankings for whatever it’s worth

Home listening headphones

1. Sennhesier HD800. It provides the best, most expansive soundstage and is incredibly quick and detailed. With the right amp, I even feel the bass kicking hard and the overall tonality does not seem overly bright to me (a little bright, but not enough for me to think it detracts from the music). Before I got these, I was concerned I would find them dull, but that hasn’t been my experience at all. I’m always looking forward to putting these on.

2. Denon D7000. I just got these in a trade. I think they’re pretty amazing and a huge step up over an old stock D5000 I had before. The mids are not nearly as recessed as the D5000. The bass impact is boosted a bit which makes them not exactly neutral but they are my go to cans for any rap or hip hop. They’re more fun than the HD800 with some music but I prefer the airiness and balance of the HD800 most of the time.

3. Grado RS1 (older buttoned model). I got some flats which help bring the bass out a bit. I still love that forward presentation of the Grados and these provide a very immediate experience with rock that the other two cans can’t provide. I don’t think these are as good as the other two for a wide variety of genres but there are times listening to acoustic guitar or some guitar driven rock when I want to feel like I’m in the front row and these do that better than anything else I own.

Portable headphones

1. Grado GR10. I upgraded from the GR8 recently and like these just a little bit more treble extension. I gave up on IEMs a couple years ago as every model I tried just felt a little too big or awkward in my ears (W3, triple fi 10, ADDIEM) as I have pretty small ear canals. Plus when I moved to cans, I noticed an open and airiness to songs that those older IEMs didn’t quite have. I then tried some portable on ear cans this fall but I felt they were all too cumbersome to carry around and the sound always felt too congested. Well, these little Grado IEMs fix both those issues. the bodies are absolutely tiny and light. And with the small ear tips, I can’t feel them in my head at all. And they provide a sound similar to other open air Grados that I’ve used. They’re bass light, which is my one small issue I have with them but comfort and that Grado-style presentation makes them keepers.

2. Grado SR-60i. I got these as a cheaper, “beater” headphone that I don’t need to worry about coddling. I don’t wear them around the street but I take them on trips if I’ll be in a hotel for a while and want to listen to some music inside. I still love the grado signature sound and these are a nice cheap way to get into it.

Jan 8, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #1,912 of 8,134
These are all the headphones I have HEARD. Bold are ones I own. Underlined are ones I own, but have broke.

1. Shure SRH940
2. Etymotic HF5

3. Beats By Dr. Dre Solo
4. Apple In Ear
5. Skullcandy Titans
6. iFrogz Nervepipes

7. Skullcandy Ink'd (Have 6 pairs, all broken)
8. Apple Stock

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #1,913 of 8,134
  • Thunderpants TP-1 (all hail the Thunderpants, If you get the right seal, there are few that can match it.)
  • AKG K-701 (Only with a decent headphone amp and the right music. Schiit LYR works great)
  • Sennheiser HD-595 (The headphones that causes this whole mess, Still a great bang for the buck.)
  • Fostex T40 V1 (wear them at work daily, I love em')
  • Sennheiser Adidas HD 25-1 II Originals (Best travel cans on earth)
  • Grado SR -60 (If you don't own these you are crazy.. FUN, FUN, FUN)
  • AIAIA TMA-1 (My DJ cans)
  • Bose Over the ear (backup work cans)
  • VMODA Bass Freq Earbuds (best bang for the buck, bass is amazing)
  • Kramer KSC -75 (sound good, REALLY inexpensive.)

Not a headphone, but EVERYONE should own a Schiit Bifrost DAC.. Nothing improved my sound more. Best audio investment ever.

(I have others, but they aren't worth rating)

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #1,914 of 8,134
1.Etymotic HF5                            (with modded Big-Triflanger into Twoflanger, 75ohm adapter, cmoy, +7db bass-boost, lol) They sound way too good in this config
2.AKG K240 Sextett (MP)             (once driven correctly they start sound great, not quite detailed, not as deep as most cans)
3.Sennheiser HD600                     (Technically leagues above the Sextett, but... did you ever hear a decent pair of Sextetts?)
4.AKG K242HD ...                        (AKG K240s with velours are idetical)
5.AKG K240s                               (too boomy with standard pleather pads)
6.Audiotechnica ATH -M50            (have to eq to remove some treble)
7.Koss Porta Pros                         
8.AKG K701 ...                             (I don't own a tube amp, so meh)
9.AKG K601                                 (I blame the made in China serial...)
10.PMB 25 II                                (Treble hell and poor fit)
11.My modded Porta Pros             (they look sick though)

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #1,915 of 8,134
doublepost :C

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #1,916 of 8,134
1.  Fischer FA-011
2.  VSonic GR07
3.  Koss Pro DJ100
4.  Sennheiser HD555

We'll see how the D2000s shake this up when they arrive late this week/early next week.

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #1,919 of 8,134

Quote:
1. Beats Pro
2. Beats Studio
3. Beats Solo
4. iBeats
5. Beats Tour

Next trolling list should be all Bose
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back