May 21, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #1,744 of 8,134
New cans, new ranking:

1. Sennheiser HD 650
2. BeyerDynamic DT 880 closed back
3. MB Quart QP 90 X
4. German Maestro GMP 250
5. AKG K240 Sextett LP
6. German Maestro GMP 8.300 D

Note: this is after damping with layers of felt on the drivers and some pad rolling. 

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #1,747 of 8,134
1) Koss Pro DJ 100 (in HD-497 shell to be open)

This thing is amazing when made open and with some decent pads and some tweaks to it's signature. When fully open the sound clarity really seems to improve. It's soundstage is HUGE now. Makes my HD-598 and K601 look like a snore fest. Open it's just a totally different headphone. Same signature, but just better. Too bad the HD-497 shell is so hard to find. When closed, there is no way this would be at #1 despite it being a favorite.

2) Sennheiser HD-598

The K601 has better sound quality as well as a better soundstage, but this one is just a bit more engaging for me and a little more fun to listen to. Without a recable, the K601 would be at #2. This is the headphone that made me sell off my HD-650. I never would have did this until I added a new cable (Mogami Starquad). The sound really clears up with a recable. I've tried 3 types and Mogami seems to be the best match.

3) AKG K601

I keep thinking the HD-598 has more forward mids, but specific music seems to bother me more with this headphone. I guess it's more picky about source files. I prefer this to the K702 by far and I just sold that.

4) KRK KNS-6400

Can a $99 headphone be perfect? Well, this is about as perfect as it gets. Tons of detail, a super clear sound, good bass, mids and well extended treble. They say you can't have everything, but this is close enough. The soundstage is also one of the best I've heard from a closed headphone other than the D2000. I actually prefer this to the KRK KNS-8400. One of the few studio monitors that's fun to listen to. Extremely comfortable too and I just upgraded mined to the 8400's memory foam pads. This has the most bass out of all my headphones. Weird.

With all these headphones I think I'm all set for quite awhile. I still want to get the Shure SRH-940 just to compare to my DJ100 and KNS-6400. It will take one heck of a headphone to dethrone the DJ100.

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #1,748 of 8,134
Maybe people should be posting the amps that they use with these headphones to rank them... its sort of an important part of the evaluation.  

My DT990's through my Bijou and my DT990's through my far inferior Total BitHead are two different animals.  I'm sure my 650's will be too.

Jun 14, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #1,751 of 8,134
1. Sennheiser HD 800: audio glory, paired with the right amp
2. Sennheiser HD 600: mainstay for years and years
3. Denon AH-D7000: fun for earthier music
4. B&W P5: great portable/travel phones, even if the sound's a bit obviously colored.
5. Grado SR80: amazing sound for the very modest price.

Jun 14, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #1,753 of 8,134
Audeze LCD-2
After having the LCD-2 for almost a month I have come to the conclusion that any other headphones I have or heard were just pretending to be headphones. So I only have one on my list. If you think I am wrong dont tell me this is a time when ignorance is bliss. And after many years my wallet agrees with me. For me this is a headphone that does it all in a way no other has done before. I am finaly content with one girl and her name is Audeze no more whoring around for me. At last I can settle down live with just this one headphone and be more then content.
I always knew there could be only one.

Jun 14, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #1,754 of 8,134
1. Ultrasone HFI-580
2. AKG K240S
3. NuForce NE-6

Jun 18, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #1,755 of 8,134

2}Sony MDR-CD-870 Headphones----------I have had these forever. Took the pads off and washed them after 11 or so years. The sound is not perfect but very level on an eq curve, a little lacking in highs. These feel like an old pair of worn-out shoes. They are some of the lightest and best feeling headphones ever made. These are by far my most easy headphones to wear. They are nicer to wear than the Denon AH-D 7000 because they are light. They stay on your head too.

3}AKG k701 Headphones----------I own two pair. They are nice to play with certain types of music. Very level on an eq curve. Cool to own, Great to spend a day with once in a while. You kinda know they are on your head at times.

1}Denon AH-D 7000 Headphones----------Color and very boosted in bass, lower mids, highs. Great headroom, great for almost all music and movies. Works with a lot of amps, Feels like air on your head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back