Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Jun 18, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #1,756 of 8,134
I use a Stello DP200 dac/pre/headphoneamplifier at home and my mobile dac/amplifier is a QED MB45 amplifier and Kingrex USB dac. DT770 and Denon also runs unamped from laptop or mp3 player.

1. Beyerdynamic T1. Best sounding dynamic headphones I've ever heard.
2. AKG K701. A little to light at the low frequencies but comfortable and with a big soundstage.
3. Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 32 ohm. Works excellent unamped on mobile gear and build for life. My most used headphones.
4. Denon AH-D301. I just have them but they are ok considering the price.

Jun 19, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #1,758 of 8,134
1.) d7000
2.) pro 900
3.) mtpc
4.) dt770/80
5.) m50
6.) Sony ex300

Jun 19, 2011 at 6:35 AM Post #1,759 of 8,134
DT880
TF10
M50
C710
SE110
FX300

edit: Whoa I just realized all of them end in 0, kinda trippy... Maybe I should buy some Beats to change it up..... OH dear lord what am I saying, I better go sleep

Jun 19, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #1,761 of 8,134
Update... top ten complete.

1.   Ultrasone Edition 8
2.   Grado HF-2

3.   Sennheiser HD600

4.   Darth Beyer V3 (that bottom end... holy moly!)

5.   Terminator V4 (more balanced than the V3 yes, but I'll admit that I didn't have quite as much fun with them)

6.   AIAIAI TMA-1

7.   AKG K271s

8.   Audio Technica ATH-M50

9.   ALO-Modded Ultrasone HFI-780 (ALO-780J)

10. Ultrasone PRO-900

Funny you start with edition 8 and end with pro 900

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #1,764 of 8,134

Quote:
Quote:
Update... top ten complete.

1.   Ultrasone Edition 8
2.   Grado HF-2

3.   Sennheiser HD600

4.   Darth Beyer V3 (that bottom end... holy moly!)

5.   Terminator V4 (more balanced than the V3 yes, but I'll admit that I didn't have quite as much fun with them)

6.   AIAIAI TMA-1

7.   AKG K271s

8.   Audio Technica ATH-M50

9.   ALO-Modded Ultrasone HFI-780 (ALO-780J)

10. Ultrasone PRO-900

Funny you start with edition 8 and end with pro 900

How am I funny? 
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #1,765 of 8,134

Quote:

#1. Beyerdynamic DT 990/600 Ω
#2. AKG K701
#3. AKG K271

Werner.

And here I thought I had an uncommon name... nice to see another Werner around here!

beyersmile.png

My update list is:

1. HD650
2. DT990/250
3. SHR840
4. AD700
5. ATH-M50 (gone)
6. MS1i (gone)

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #1,766 of 8,134
Dont own all of these, but my local buddies trade all the time.

1. Beyer DT48 - Bass extension is weak, truly excellent mids, highs can be a tad sibilant. Very recording dependant and very honest. Sounds very plain, they dont try to impress you but are tremendously detailed and clear. Imaging is pinpoint but soundstage small.
2. Etymotic ER6i - Bass extends low and has decent impact, mids are detailed but a little plastic, highs are excellent and detailed. Good extension on both ends while remaining balanced and having good tonality. Great for the money. Only downside is the soundstage is in your head.
3. Beyer DT770 250 ohm - Bass is earthquake-like, sounds much like an actual sub with bass you can physically feel. Mids are recessed but smooth and fairly detailed. Highs are nice sounding. Wide soundstage for a closed phone
4. Bose IE - Bass extension is good but sounds muddy and bloated. The DT770 has more bass but is less bloated. Mids tonality is foggy sounding but detailed and somehow natural. Highs are practically non existant. But this headphone sounds very smooth and relaxing and is very musical. Not good for critical listening or accuracy but is perfect for casual listenting. They sound great to the average non audiophile.
5. Grado SR 125- Bass extension is okay but not great. Mids are great for electric guitar and metal, pretty natural. Highs are peircing. Nice airy soundstage, im used to closed headphones so yeah. These are great for rock and metal. But I just dont like the grado sound.

DT48 is not understood when heard, and Bose are not respected for their intended artificial sound. Just my opinion.

Jun 20, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #1,767 of 8,134
1: Beyerdynamic DT48: ^^^ For the reasons above. Eyedrop described them as well as I could.
2: Realistic Pro 50: Pretty freakin groovy. Moreso than K240S's, which were crowned groovalizers. These probably aren't the same type RP50's that wualta loves though. Mine have MP radiators (I found out that there are also different versions of this. I found one with I think EP radiators. Sold for only $35. Lucky person.)
3: Smeggipucks: Best portable headphones I've ever heard. (Then again, I haven't heard the AT's, new Beyers, ED.8, HD25, Phiatons, or TMA-1.
wink.gif
) In all seriousness, fabulous speed, aurgasmic mids (for a portable), a bit bright (fixable, but I'm lazy) and bass goes surprisingly deep.
4: Monster Turbine Pro Coppers: They may be rather uninvolving and somewhat unrefined, but they do little wrong in an absolute sense. There really aren't many genres that this fails on.
5: AKG K271: These tend to be rather polarizing. I, for one, love them. They have superb mids, but lose out a bit on the extremes. Treble is a tad restrained, and bass needs more texture, but very good all around.
6: AKG K4: I'm going to be mean and not describe them in depth. Look for a pair for yourself. They're a miniatureized pair of K340's with more bass and restrained treble. Yes, they're worth looking for.
7: Monster Turbine Pro Gold: Just plain fun. They don't try to do any audiophile tricks unlike the Coppers, just create a creamy sound.
8: Audio Technica ATH-2: Orthodynamics from the 70's. They're colored to a fault, but still has some of the features I like in the Smeggipucks. I fixed the bass issues, but still a bit sloppy.
9: Beyerdynamic DT220: Not too much to say about them. They're a studio monitor from the 80's with typical studio monitor sound. Great mids, needs an amp. They're pretty good, but the K271's are a better.
Crap, I'm not even halfway done...
10: Koss Technician VFR: My holy grail of vintage Kosses. I restored them and mass damped them. These are really freakin bassy. Shame they aren't incredibly detailed. They sound decidedly V shaped, but the mids are surprisingly decent. At least not colored like the XB500's. (Totally not worth $30 on ecost...they sound rather atrocious for the price. *Flamesuit on*)
11: MEElectronics CC51: Very competent <$100 IEM's. Bassy, but less so than their previous creations. Mids take a step back, but not terrible. Treble is ever so slightly recessed.
12: Prodipe Pro800: See my thread for a better idea on the sound, but they make electronic amazing. Too bad they're freakin fragile.
13: Philips "The Stretch": I'll have a review up in a couple weeks. You'll just have to wait for that.
biggrin.gif

14: Modded Koss Portapro: I removed the grill, replaced the grill with felt, and quarter modded the pads. The result is a darker than stock, but more refined sound. ...Yeah everyone knows how these sound. If you don't, go and buy a pair. They're cheap enough.
wink_face.gif

15: eSmooth ES610BB: Modded, they sound like a bassier pair of Portapros with less refinement. Too bad shipping is so freakin high. Need to make a review for the eSmooth stuff soon.
16: eSmooth ES360EB: Very competent set of IEM's. If I didn't know any better, I'd think they were $50. I'll have a review up soon.
17: Koss KSC75: A brighter Portapro with a bit less detail and bass.
18: Brainwavz M1: Surprisingly good for $30. Smooth treble, tightish bass (could use some more detail, but these are $30), but unrefined mids.
19: Ultimate Ears Super.fi 4: Very mid-treble happy. Too bad they don't even do it right.
20: Brainwavz M3: Not as good as the CC51. Some bass issues, funky sounding mids. Heck, the M1's for half the price sound more natural.
21: eSmooth ES530: Bassy with unrefined mids and treble, but still very fun.
22: MEElectronics M31: Same deal as the ES530, but WAY too much bass for me. And mids are kinda sucky.
23: Phiaton PS20 NC: They'd probably sound awesome if they could fit in my ear. But what I heard was colored mids, uncontrolled bass, and bright treble. Very tip dependent. Still, they're a treat to listen to when I muster up the manliness to suck it up when they hurt.
24: MEElectronics M21: Very balanced, but also very boring.
25: iBuds: These aren't good, but don't deserve the trashing they get. They're decent.
26: MEElectronics M9: They were a revelation when MEE was a new company, but I'm glad to see that they've been improving their products. The M9's are super bassy and don't like when you turn it up loud.
27: Sony J10: Meh.
28: Sone E818: More Meh.
29: iWave XB500 clones: Comfy, but lack refinement of any kind, even when modded.
30: Sansa Buds: These DO NOT sound like HD650's...
frown.gif

31: Duracell Earbuds: These make me want to stop listening to music...

I also want to note that I did not pay more than $60 for any of my over ear headphones. Heck, the first three cost less than $50. It most certainly is possible for good headphones to cost less than $100 if you look hard enough.

My amps/sources are a NaNite N2, Sony A726, Blackberry Tour, EMU 0204, and a Harman Kardon HK430. Yes, I'm pretty sure the HK430 is strong enough.

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #1,768 of 8,134

LMMFAO

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #1,769 of 8,134
Jun 20, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #1,770 of 8,134

Quote:

LMMFAO

Well, to anyone who has not had the intense pleasure to hear these monstrosities, find the nearest chalk board. Find Edward Scissorhands. Tell him to scrape the board. Now cover your ears with a blanket. Tell him to scrape the board again. That's how they sound. I didn't think it was possible to make something that bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back