4) Koss PortaPro

Jan 8, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #1,098 of 8,134
The jury is still out and I'm not positive about this new list but here goes:

1. Stax SR-001 MK2
2. Grado SR225
3. AKG K240 Sextett
4. Koss KSC35
5. Sennheiser HD580

That is based only on SQ and when used for music. The Stax hurt my ears like hell and that really makes me sad.

Jan 8, 2008 at 9:54 AM Post #1,100 of 8,134
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

1. Stax SR-001 MK2
2. Grado SR225
3. AKG K240 Sextett
4. Koss KSC35
5. Sennheiser HD580

That is based only on SQ and when used for music. The Stax hurt my ears like hell and that really makes me sad.

Hah, yeah. The SR-001 is a wonderful-sounding little thing, isn't it? How do you wear it? I found that wearing it off the headband just shoving the earpieces into the ears hurts like hell after a while, and wearing it on the headband hurts a bit less. But, by bending out the headband to reduce the pressure, and then just letting the earpieces rest on the ears but not inserting them deep into the ear canals makes them much more wearable. I used the larger sized tips when doing that. Bass suffered a bit but on the whole it still sounded very good.

Now, to get that sound in a bigger package, you'll have to go straight to the O2, or balanced HD650. The Lambda line sounds completely different and won't really cut it (though it's pretty good in its own right).

Jan 9, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #1,101 of 8,134
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hah, yeah. The SR-001 is a wonderful-sounding little thing, isn't it? How do you wear it? I found that wearing it off the headband just shoving the earpieces into the ears hurts like hell after a while, and wearing it on the headband hurts a bit less. But, by bending out the headband to reduce the pressure, and then just letting the earpieces rest on the ears but not inserting them deep into the ear canals makes them much more wearable. I used the larger sized tips when doing that. Bass suffered a bit but on the whole it still sounded very good.

Now, to get that sound in a bigger package, you'll have to go straight to the O2, or balanced HD650. The Lambda line sounds completely different and won't really cut it (though it's pretty good in its own right).

Yeah... they're great. I wear them with the headband because otherwise they feel like they'll fall out. The only part that actually causes pain is the housing. it pushes on the edge around the "bowl" part of my ear. I think I'm screwed.

Jan 9, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #1,102 of 8,134
Home:
1. HD600
2. RS-1
3. K-701

Office:
1. ER4S
2. SR-60

Jan 9, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #1,104 of 8,134
Quote:

1. Stax SR-001 MK2
2. Grado SR225
3. AKG K240 Sextett
4. Koss KSC35
5. Sennheiser HD580

You really think the KSC35 sound better than the HD580's?
eek.gif

What are you driving those things with?

Jan 9, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #1,106 of 8,134
Quote:

Yeah... they're great. I wear them with the headband because otherwise they feel like they'll fall out. The only part that actually causes pain is the housing. it pushes on the edge around the "bowl" part of my ear. I think I'm screwed.

I had this problem as well. Try to move them around and make sure you inserted them into the headband housing correctly. With some fiddling I was able to find a great way to position these HPs and can use them for 2 hours straight with almost no discomfort.

Jan 10, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #1,107 of 8,134
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You really think the KSC35 sound better than the HD580's?
eek.gif

What are you driving those things with?

Not much
frown.gif
Mini^3 and the built-in amp on my DAC. Either way, I doubt there is a chance of the treble going coming around to wear I want it. It's way too recessed for my tastes. They're great for games/movies though. I'm keeping them until I get a nicer amp (couple weeks hopefully) and if I still don't like them, they're gone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had this problem as well. Try to move them around and make sure you inserted them into the headband housing correctly. With some fiddling I was able to find a great way to position these HPs and can use them for 2 hours straight with almost no discomfort.

I've tried so many things
frown.gif
It's just the circular housing is larger than the little cavity place of my ear and it rests on the outside edge on the lobe and hurts like HELL! I've had a lot of advice concerning different tips but it's not the tips or ear canal that hurts.. just the lobe where the driver sits
frown.gif
I'm selling and saving up for a full size Stax system so this hurts me in two ways
wink.gif

Jan 10, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #1,108 of 8,134
Another update, in groups because it very hard to rate all of them:

--Had-- --Have--

1) Stax SR-303
1) Stax SR-Lambda
1) Yamaha YH-1
------------------------
2) MB Quart Phone 85
2) Jecklin Float II
2) Fostex RP T20v2

------------------------
3) AKG K340
3) Stax SR-001MK2
3) Ety ER4-P/S
------------------------
4)
Audio-Technica ATH-A900
4) Magnavox 1A9217
4) Sennheiser HD600
------------------------
5)
MB Quart Phone 70
5) AKG K280
------------------------
6) Audio-Technica ATH-SJ5
6) Stax SRD-4 & SR-40
------------------------
7) Audio-Technica ATH-EM7GM
8) Sennheiser HD500
9) MB Quart Phone 15
10) Sennheiser HD433

11) JVC HA-FX55

Feb 23, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #1,110 of 8,134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another update, in groups because it very hard to rate all of them:

Wow, you've got the YH-1 all the way up with the Lambdas? Sounds like new headphone glow to me, can't imagine they'll stay up there after a couple of months. Also surprised your new etys get into the same category as the SR-001.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back