Rank the Headphones that You Own.
May 31, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #7,966 of 8,138
It's been awhile since I've revised my rankings to reflect my ever-churning rotation of headphones. The current lineup, in order of my preference:

1. Audeze LCD-X 2021. These don't wow you the first time you hear them because they're just so damn competent at everything. Bass is pinpoint accurate. Among the best I've heard. The mids are smooth and excellent with EQ. Same with the treble. Very good soundstage and precise imaging. My only beefs are the weight (600+ grams) and the almost essential need for some sort of EQ. I use the Audeze presets in Roon, which are sublime.

2. Grado SR325x. I finally dipped my toes into Grado this spring after about five years of watching and wondering. Grados have a deserved reputation for being hot and crispy on the top end, but the 325x sound way more balanced than I expected. These have real bass! The stock tuning is terrific. No need for EQ. Plus the best way to change the tuning of Grados, as all Gradoheads and I now know, is pad swapping. I've never owned a set of cans whose sound can change so much by swapping a set of $12 pads. The sound changes dramatically, according to your taste and desires. Comfort is an issue with the stock or G-bowl pads, but the Beautiful Audio clones on AliExpress change these to very comfortable over-ears, but with a change from the stock signature. Bottom line: There's an energy and "forwardness" to Grados that I haven't experienced with other cans. I get why they're not everyone cup of audio bliss, but I love them. Great rock headphones. Listening to AC/DC's incomparable "Let There Be Rock" on these is fantastic.

3. Sennheiser HD6XX. The longest-living cans in my collection. Fantastic mids. Narrow soundstage. The mids are just damn correct -- the reference benchmark for mids that I've heard. I don't need to say much more about HD 6XX; if you know, you know. It's going to take something special for these to leave my collection. They're not perfect, but they're classics that always satisfy.

4. AKG N400NC TWS. These are the best-sounding wireless IEM I've heard, and I heard most of the leading market models from the last generation before this (2020-21) when I searched for a wireless bud that came even close to the sound of a quality, wired over-ear. These are the ONLY ones I tried that were close. Neutral sound with adequate bass with proper tips and fit. Fantastic imaging. Smooth treble. Only weaknesses are short battery life, mediocre ANC and wonky touch controls. It's also weird how the right earpiece sits in the left side of the charging case, and vice-versa. First-world problems -- don't really care because the sound rules. These destroy Sony, Bose and Sennheiser TWS IEMs at twice the price. They're $150, hard to find. Maybe out of production. I'm so lucky I got mine for $43 during a holiday sale at AKG.com two years ago.

5. 7HZ Salnotes Zero IEM. I'm not an IEM guy, but I couldn't resist trying these for $22. They have terrific neutral sound for the price, if a smidge bass light. The claims of these being giant killers of IEMs that cost $150 are wide of the mark, but they're a fun listen for the cost of a case of beer. Definitely recommended for a neutral-ish IEM at almost a throwaway cost. I don't use these often, but they're enjoyable when I do.

Jun 11, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #7,967 of 8,138
After serios consideration of heapdhones to use on the go including DCA aeon X, DCA aeon 2 noire, B&W Px7 s2, PX8, Focal Bathays, Senhensier Momentum 4, I decided on Dali io6 becase of soundquality when wired. I may upgrade to the upcoming io-12.
Thou I am a fan of B&W speakers., still the top speaker brand cannot make headphones I like. Dali a Dannish company is competing with B&W with great speakers and the company has recently entered the headphone market. The price performace of their io6 is excellent and to me Dali is doing the right thing, which B&W is not. Dali io6 is one of the very few phones you may connect a headphone cable having the headphones turned off only using them as relular headphones. If you bring a good amp such as mine BTR7 your wired performace beats most of the ohter. DCA aeon line is great but those are too hard to drive and suck too much battery to use on the go.
  1. Audeze LCD-5
  2. Denon AH-D9200
  3. Fostex T60RT Argon Modhouse
  4. Dali io-6 NEW
  5. HFM Sundara
  6. Koss Kph40x
  7. Senhensier momentum 2
  8. Koss Ksc75x

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #7,968 of 8,138
Ok, here we go:

-Harmonicdyne Zeus
-Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 32 ohm
-Ibasso SR2
-AKG K550
-B&W P7
-Kef Space One
-Philips A3-Pro
-Monoprice M560
-Shure SRH1540
-Focal Elear (w/ Clear pads)
-DCA Aeon 2 Closed
-Oppo PM3
-Bang Olufsen H6
-Sennheiser HD58X
-Shure SRH1840
-Philips L2
-Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohm
-Superlux HD562
-Philips Fidelio X2HR
-Denon AH-MM400
-B&W P5
-Audio Technica ATH-M50X
-Sivga Robin
-Meze 99 Noir
-Sony MDR-1A
-V-Moda M100
-Meze 99 Neo
-Sony MDR-XB1000
-Sennheiser Momentum 2 (wired)
-V-Moda M100 Master
-Master & Dynamic MW60
-Audio Technica ATH-MSR7NC
-Sony MDR-XB500
-1More H1707
-Sony MDR-X10

This "rank" is more based on how much each one satisfies me in general, but the truth is i don't care much about which one is the best, as they're all always in my rotation as i listen to different genres.

Jun 13, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #7,971 of 8,138
Headphones:

1) Audio-Technica MSR7b (microfiber damping mod, aftermarket cable, currently has slightly wrong earpads). My most used and second best sounding set, very lightweight, comfortable, technically adapt. I like the sound signature, although I do miss the aggressive mids of my modded ES7, which these have replaced.

2) Denon D5200 (heavily modded headband, aftermarket cable). Nice sound signature (slightly bass heavy at times), huge sound. These do sound better than the MSR7b, but not in regards in detail as much as in regards to soundstage and presence. These huge drivers are what makes the difference. The rating is lower than the MSR7b because these had massive comfort issues out of the box, and are heavy and cumbersome for anything other than desktop usage. Also somewhat fragile.

3) Audio-Technica ES7 (heavily modded everything - damping in front and behind the driver, headband, earpads, earcups, aftermarket cable). Used these for 8 years as my portable set before replacing them with MSR7b. Technically inferior to other headsets in the list, but the mid-centric sound signature is crazy and elevates them way above their weight. To this day I haven't found other headphones which have such engaging sound of electric guitars.

4) Beyerdynamic DT770 32 ohm. Very balanced sound apart from easily EQ-able treble spike, very little to complain about in that regard (MSR7b do have better mids, treble and imaging). The most comfortable headset I've owned, however the shape of my head caused them to wear down and break faster than I would have expected. Hence the low position in the rating.

5) Sennheiser HD598. Unnatural sound, hollow bass and thin mids, lacking clarity. Soundstage is the only positive thing I can say about sound of these. Decent comfort though.

Earbuds:
1) Fiio FF5 - good sound quality, although they sit in my ears worse than MX500-style shells
2) Yincrow X6 / RW9 - perfect beater earphones -
3) EMX500 - crazy U-shaped earbuds
3) VE Monk+ - acceptable everything
4) Sony EX85, Sennheiser IE4 and other IEMs I tried years ago - my ears hate them

Jun 16, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #7,972 of 8,138
Since 2019

1) Stax sr-007 mk1 712xx
2) Stax sr-x9000
3) Stax sr-007 mk1 SZ1
4) Grado hp-2i (1988)
5) Stax Lambda Nova Signature
6) Audeze CRBN
7) Stax sr-009S
8) Audeze LCD-3
9) Grado rs-2e
10) Grado gs-3000x
Interested in hearing what about the Nova signature works better for you than the CRBN?

Jun 16, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #7,973 of 8,138
Interested in hearing what about the Nova signature works better for you than the CRBN?
The LNS is a sleepy headphone, but similar to the 007, if you push it off the carbon it all of a sudden has great dynamics and layering. Unlike the other Lambdas (of any era) it leans on the darker side with a nice balanced overall sound. A great headphone that I wish Stax still produced the tonality of.

The CRBN is a superior headphone but has timber problems in the upper frequencies. "Violins sound like violas". There are also serious issues with the construction of the CRBN that cause loud crackling noises and fart issues. CRBN has the ability to feel "holographic" but often presents it self as a "wall of sound'. I enjoyed the headphone but it always failed me on a/b comparisons.

The two are like almost tied for me, but the LNS takes the cake because while it is not the best headphone I've owned - it is very complete and could easily be the only headphone I own.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #7,974 of 8,138
:gs1000smile::beerchug:My ranking for sounds quality:
Headphones:

01)-Pioneer SE-Master1
02)-Sennheiser HD820
03)-Audio-Technica ATH-W10VTG
04)-Audio-Technica ATH-W100
05)-TAGO STUDIO T3-01 IM@S-CG
06)-AKG K701 (Austria)
07)-Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
08)-Sony MDR-Z7M2
09)-Audio-Technica MSR7b
10)-Audio-Technica ATH-A5 (Magic Listening Hyper Training Phone for the DC Sound.)
11)-Sony MDR-MV1
12)-Austrian Audio Hi-X65
13)-Meters OV-1-B-Connect Pro
14)-Pioneer HDJ-X5-HA- D4DJ
15)-AKG K240PP- Peaky P-key
16)-Audio-Technica ATH-A55
17)-Sony MDR-F1
18)-Panasonic RP-HTX7
19)-Sony MDR-M1ST
20)-Sony MDR-CD900ST
21)-ULTRASONE METEOR ONE - D4DJ Photon Maiden Edition
22)-Audio-Technica ATH-WS990BT
23)-V-Moda M200 ANC
24)-Pioneer SE-MX8-K Bang Dream! Roselia
25)-Audio-Technica ATH-EW9
26)-DENON AH-GC25W SSSS.GRIDMAN
27)-Pioneer SE-50
27)-ZUMREED ZHP-005

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #7,975 of 8,138
  1. Hifiman re800 Silver Edition
  2. Sennheiser Momentum
  3. TFZ My Love 2
  4. Fiio JH3
  5. Fostex TE04
  6. Final e1000

Jun 20, 2023 at 1:32 AM Post #7,976 of 8,138
:gs1000smile::beerchug:My ranking for sounds quality:
Headphones:

01)-Pioneer SE-Master1
02)-Sennheiser HD820
03)-Audio-Technica ATH-W10VTG
04)-Audio-Technica ATH-W100
05)-TAGO STUDIO T3-01 IM@S-CG
06)-AKG K701 (Austria)
07)-Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
08)-Sony MDR-Z7M2
09)-Audio-Technica MSR7b
10)-Audio-Technica ATH-A5 (Magic Listening Hyper Training Phone for the DC Sound.)
11)-Sony MDR-MV1
12)-Austrian Audio Hi-X65
13)-Meters OV-1-B-Connect Pro
14)-Pioneer HDJ-X5-HA- D4DJ
15)-AKG K240PP- Peaky P-key
16)-Audio-Technica ATH-A55
17)-Sony MDR-F1
18)-Panasonic RP-HTX7
19)-Sony MDR-M1ST
20)-Sony MDR-CD900ST
21)-ULTRASONE METEOR ONE - D4DJ Photon Maiden Edition
22)-Audio-Technica ATH-WS990BT
23)-V-Moda M200 ANC
24)-Pioneer SE-MX8-K Bang Dream! Roselia
25)-Audio-Technica ATH-EW9
26)-DENON AH-GC25W SSSS.GRIDMAN
27)-Pioneer SE-50
27)-ZUMREED ZHP-005
Props for Master 1. The others? I dont know any :)

Jun 20, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #7,977 of 8,138
Props for Master 1. The others? I dont know any :)

:thinking::thinking::relieved::gs1000smile:

this.........

SONY D-303 / SONY D-250 / PC to ADI-2 DAC FS / AK SE180 SEM 1/2/3/4 >> Sommer Quadra Blue - 3.5 to RCA / 4.4 to RCA / XLR to RCA Cable - >> Ampapa A1(EF86) >> Sommer Quadra Blue - RCA to RCA / RCA to XLR Cable - >> Violectric HPA V222 ( Burson Audio V6 Vivid x 2 / V6 Classic x 2 / Sonic Imagery Labs 994Enh
x 2 , MUSES 03 x 2 / MUSES 02 x 1 ) >>>>>> Pioneer SE-Master1
About........

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #7,978 of 8,138
It's been awhile since I've revised my rankings to reflect my ever-churning rotation of headphones. The current lineup, in order of my preference:

1. Audeze LCD-X 2021. These don't wow you the first time you hear them because they're just so damn competent at everything. Bass is pinpoint accurate. Among the best I've heard. The mids are smooth and excellent with EQ. Same with the treble. Very good soundstage and precise imaging. My only beefs are the weight (600+ grams) and the almost essential need for some sort of EQ. I use the Audeze presets in Roon, which are sublime.

2. Grado SR325x. I finally dipped my toes into Grado this spring after about five years of watching and wondering. Grados have a deserved reputation for being hot and crispy on the top end, but the 325x sound way more balanced than I expected. These have real bass! The stock tuning is terrific. No need for EQ. Plus the best way to change the tuning of Grados, as all Gradoheads and I now know, is pad swapping. I've never owned a set of cans whose sound can change so much by swapping a set of $12 pads. The sound changes dramatically, according to your taste and desires. Comfort is an issue with the stock or G-bowl pads, but the Beautiful Audio clones on AliExpress change these to very comfortable over-ears, but with a change from the stock signature. Bottom line: There's an energy and "forwardness" to Grados that I haven't experienced with other cans. I get why they're not everyone cup of audio bliss, but I love them. Great rock headphones. Listening to AC/DC's incomparable "Let There Be Rock" on these is fantastic.

3. Sennheiser HD6XX. The longest-living cans in my collection. Fantastic mids. Narrow soundstage. The mids are just damn correct -- the reference benchmark for mids that I've heard. I don't need to say much more about HD 6XX; if you know, you know. It's going to take something special for these to leave my collection. They're not perfect, but they're classics that always satisfy.

4. AKG N400NC TWS. These are the best-sounding wireless IEM I've heard, and I heard most of the leading market models from the last generation before this (2020-21) when I searched for a wireless bud that came even close to the sound of a quality, wired over-ear. These are the ONLY ones I tried that were close. Neutral sound with adequate bass with proper tips and fit. Fantastic imaging. Smooth treble. Only weaknesses are short battery life, mediocre ANC and wonky touch controls. It's also weird how the right earpiece sits in the left side of the charging case, and vice-versa. First-world problems -- don't really care because the sound rules. These destroy Sony, Bose and Sennheiser TWS IEMs at twice the price. They're $150, hard to find. Maybe out of production. I'm so lucky I got mine for $43 during a holiday sale at AKG.com two years ago.

5. 7HZ Salnotes Zero IEM. I'm not an IEM guy, but I couldn't resist trying these for $22. They have terrific neutral sound for the price, if a smidge bass light. The claims of these being giant killers of IEMs that cost $150 are wide of the mark, but they're a fun listen for the cost of a case of beer. Definitely recommended for a neutral-ish IEM at almost a throwaway cost. I don't use these often, but they're enjoyable when I do.
how do you find the 6xx? i've tried them and personally prefer the momentum, which are closed back but some how sound more open-sounding (that doesn't make any sense, i know)

Jun 21, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #7,979 of 8,138
how do you find the 6xx? i've tried them and personally prefer the momentum, which are closed back but some how sound more open-sounding (that doesn't make any sense, i know)
I owned the Momentum 3 for a bit but never used them wired, so a direct comparison to the HD 6XX would be unfair. That said, the bass on the M3 wireless was far too strong, which is common for over-ear Bluetooth cans with V-shaped, consumer sound signatures.

Plus, the mids of the M3 can't compare to those of the HD 6XX. No comparison whatsoever, especially because the V-shaped signature of the M3 recesses the mids, while the mids are the star of the show with the HD 6XX. Polar opposites.

The soundstage of the HD 6XX is very narrow, and the "three-blob" imaging also is very real. But the mids and overall smoothness of the sound signature are so nice. The HD 6XX is the one can in my collection with which I can lose two or three hours of listening and almost forget they're on. They're not amazing in anything but mids, but they have such a smooth, cohesive, enjoyable sound signature for me.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #7,980 of 8,138
i find the momentum 1 to sound the better of the two, just a bit brighter sounding

Users who are viewing this thread

Back