4-Focal Clear
5-ZMF Aeolus

Jul 20, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #6,933 of 8,134
1- Sennheiser HD800S
2-ZMF Atticus
3-Pioneer Master 1
4-Focal Clear
5-ZMF Aeolus
That's an interesting order of preference. You rank the Atticus above the Aeolus and the Master 1, while ranking the Sennheiser above the Atticus and the Clear above the Aeolus.
Sound character wise (warm vs bright) it doesn't make sense to me :) And I thought the consensus is that the Aeolus is the superior open backed Atticus?

Jul 20, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #6,934 of 8,134
1 - Klipsch HP-3
2 - Audeze LCD-2C (but not really that close to the HP-3)
3 - Audeze iSine10 -w- Cipher V2 cable
4 - Meze 99 Classic
5 - HiFiMan 4xx
6 - Sennheiser 6xx
7 - Grado 60

Jul 20, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #6,935 of 8,134
That's an interesting order of preference. You rank the Atticus above the Aeolus and the Master 1, while ranking the Sennheiser above the Atticus and the Clear above the Aeolus.
Sound character wise (warm vs bright) it doesn't make sense to me :) And I thought the consensus is that the Aeolus is the superior open backed Atticus?
I think that is the consensus, but I too prefer the Atticus over the Aeolus. Both are excellent and if I didn't have an Auteur and Verite, maybe the Aeolus would be among my favorites. There is just a warmth and lushness to the Atticus on many tracks that even the others don't provide, though overall I still rank the Atticus below the Auteur & Verite.

Jul 20, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #6,936 of 8,134
These are the headphone under my collection
1. Sennheiser HD800 (great concert hall soundstage)
2. Sennheiser HD600 (best vocal performance in my collection)
3. Hifiman Edition X v2 (love the everything about it. Except their replacement pad are freaking Ex)
4. Mr Speaker Alpha Dog (love the sound signature except is abit heavy)
5. Mr Speaker Aeon Flow Closed (just bought, will share thoughts later)
6. Blon B8 (budget king with good sound quality)
7. Sony 7506 (dead neutral - when i want to hear the tonality of source.)
8. Bose Qc35ii (For daily commute)
9. koss Portal Pro (it is a koss :))
10. Sennheiser HD598CS (watching video)

Sold 4xx, 58x, 6xx, 7xx
Ehh I see an Alpha Dog owner as well :beyersmile: I wonder if you have similar findings as me...

Jul 20, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #6,937 of 8,134
1. Monoprice Monolith M570 (though painfully I just sold them on my path to gathering funds for a Focal Elex)
2. Sennheiser 6XX (they're just so great for listening to music through my balanced amps)
3. beyedynamics DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm (my daily drivers for work as a video game sound designer)
4. Blon-03 (connected to an EarStudio ES100. My lightweight mobile setup of choice)
5. Sennheiser 58X (also sold for funds towards my Elex quest so I suppose no longer in my possession means this entry is invalid)
6. Koss kph301 (yes, really)
7. Sony MDR-7506 (only out of loyalty from my early days in post production sound)
8. Sony WF-1000XM3 (not exactly audiophile but a pretty solid mobile, bluetooth, ANC option)
9. Monoprice Modern Retros (with brainwavz earpads pulled over the cup. SO inexpensive it was hard NOT to pick up a pair. They punch way above their weight class. Check em out!)

Jul 27, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #6,938 of 8,134
Just picked up an Audeze 4z. Just unboxed it and burning them in. Might top the HEKSE. Build quality wise, the 4z is much better. It’s the one with the new design gold insert and looks the part of a TOTL HP. Was tossing around whether to get the 4 or the 4z because I like the build and look of the wood. But I’m glad I went with the magnesium gold version. Speaking of build quality, the metal polish job on the Hifiman is not great at all. You can see areas where they didn’t polish enough and for a $3,500 pair of HP, it makes me angry. Reached out to Hifiman but no answer from customer service.
I just got my pair of LCD-4z's in the mail today. Love them so far! They were already burned in with the previous owner, so they sound top notch off the start for me.

Jul 27, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #6,939 of 8,134
1-Westone UM Pro 30. These are new, and my ears are still getting used to them, but so far I'm very impressed with them.

2-Grado SR125i. These are getting really old now, but they sound great. They are not only good for music, but the sound signature also makes them good for late night movies and gaming.

3-Westone UM Pro 1O. They got replaced by the Pro 30, but still a good IEM.

4-Final E1000. These are for commuting and bedtime tablet watching. I've been through a fair few IEMs in this price bracket over the years, and it's a very competitive market. These are not far off being as good as Soundmagic E10...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back