Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Sep 17, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #6,766 of 8,131
LCD-4: All around amazing to listen to just about anything. Hopefully its not just me justifying spending so much money on them. Noticeably more comfortable than the LCD-2
ZMF Eikon: Home bass listening, cant complain about them at all
MrSpeakers Ether Flow: Current gaming headphones. Good imaging and soundstage for that kind of thing
Fostex TH900 MKII emerald green: work cans, love the bass and sound isolation so i dont have to hear my cubicle mates breathing
Sony WH1000MX3: walkin' around cans. Theyre a bit muddy at times, but going wireless is a must sometimes.
Vibrolabs TR50: Recently got these and havent gotten to listen to them much but they were enjoyable right out of the box
LCD-2F: First pair of high end cans that i bought. Opened the door (and my wallet) to the hobby
LCD-2 prefazor: selling them since i have so many others. Interesting how the different driver versions between all the LCDs make such a difference.

Oct 21, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #6,767 of 8,131
Cleaned out the closet over the past 3.5 months:

1. HFM HE6SE: Very good at most things, brutal dip at 1.5k and rise at 4k can't be EQ'd away w/o causing major phase issues. My copy - likely Adorama Trash.
2. HFM HE5SE: Awful soulless can, never sounded like music ONCE. My copy - Adorama Trash.
3. Brainwavz Alara: Nice bass, decent mids, recessed highs lacking any good traits.
4. HFM HE5LE: Remembered better than it was, too bright, too moody; mods don't really help.
5. MD 4XX: "FUN" response curve, OK for price for non serious listening. Son gets it for good. The midbass/upperbass is a sloppy mess w/o dynamat. Highs bright.
6. Fostex FH500RP: tried many mods, clean and unobjectionable. No bass push, treble too polite and lacking detail. Mids OK w/ female vocals. Relaxing but un-revealing.

Current list:

1. HFM HE-500 9.58/10.0 (heavy mods); midrange first, bass and treble very good, very wide soundstage, excellent depth, speaker like, bit warm but lots of detail. Classic.

2. HFM HEX v2 9.43/10.0 (use Dekoni Nuggets) to raise bottom of cups up to get max treble and detail. Lacks treble detail (get pure silver cable to help), but music always gets through, doesn't ever offend. Nice bass extension to 20 Hz. Coherence is its middle name. Analog/vinyl like. Not a classic, but memorable to those that want to bathe in the music.

3. Senn HD-600 (lightly modded) 9.0/10.0 this rating on Ragnarok 1, on BH Crack w/ speedball it's a 9.6 (bass erupts down to 30 Hz, and it gets an inner lighting/life that is a wonder to behold. Snigger all you like, until you hear it). Clean, tonally correct, great for classical. If it imaged like the 800, it would be lights out. Slays 650's and Shure/AKG/AT/Grados/Beyers by the score - IMO. Way classic.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #6,768 of 8,131
I rank now my orthodynamic vintage Fostex T10 first rank (more natural sound+holographical 3-d imaging)

over my AKG 340 and AKG 701 over my Hifiman HE 400, and over my basic stax system, and over my byerdynamic 990 ….

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #6,769 of 8,131
Current headphones rankings:

1.) Beyerdynamic DT 480 - 200 Ohm(modded)

2.) Beyerdynamic T1.2 Black Edition

3.) Beyerdynamic Amiron Home

4.) Sennheiser HD 6XX

5.) Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #6,770 of 8,131
Updated ranking, the ESP-950s and HP-3s are no longer in my collection, and I've added AKG K812, Sendy Aivas, and Grado GH3s. My ranking has become somewhat more convoluted.

1a. Hifiman HE-500
- My go-to for general music listening. Not a single weakness, and basically everything they do is incredible; large soundstage, smooth highs, slightly boosted, clean bass, and flat mid range. Eventually I'll start looking for a headphone to top this, but I suspect I'm going to be looking in the $2000+ range.
1b. Sony MDR-Z1R - I absolutely adore these, but some music can come off as too bright. When something plays to their strengths they are my favorite headphone. The bass is quite boosted, yet very clean and articulate; it makes them very fun to listen to for energetic music. Mid range is slightly elevated in the lower region, giving them a very full sound. Maybe not "reference", but it's absolutely intoxicating. Very large soundstage for a closed headphone, too. Actually, I might say they have a large soundstage, period.
2a. AKG K812 Pro - Tonal balance is remarkably similar to the HD800, to the point where it's hard to choose a favorite between them. The K812 has a smidge more bass, but the treble on the HD800 is a smidge smoother, so even there it's hard to decide which I like better. I really comes down to comfort and imaging, and that puts the K812 just over the HD800. The HD800 is so large it basically rests on your cheek bones, whereas the K812 is more reasonably sized, and fits like a proper headphone, rather than a helmet. As far as imaging, I prefer the way the K812 images. Soundstage is roughly the same size, maybe a little bigger on the HD800, but the HD800 to my brain seems to project the music mostly above me. The K812, by contrast, is more like a giant sphere of sound, where sounds transition from left to right more naturally than any headphone I've ever heard.
2b. Sennheiser HD800 - I expected these to give the HE-500 some competition, and I was right! They're similar in a lot of ways, though their overall sound tilts slightly to the bright side. I don't find them to be overly bright, though. It's just a very slight bump that can make them sound a little more... Metallic I guess? Still, a very musical headphone, despite what basically every review on the planet says about them. I don't find them to be overly clinical or sterile at all. I think they might have a slightly larger soundstage than the HE-500, but they image a little differently. I can sorta justify keeping both.
3. Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro - I've crowned these headphones the king of bass. Very boosted, endless extension, and quite good impact. On top of that, incredibly fast bass. They're basically boosted like the Z1R, but fast like the HE-500. Treble is boosted, but I don't find it to be very grating. I think because it's a broad emphasis, and not just specific frequencies, it comes off as more musical. One of the things that make these so impressive is that they are very lively at low volumes. You can basically jam out at whisper volumes and save your ears a beating.
4. Sendy Audio Aiva - A well-balanced, though somewhat lean sounding headphone. The lowest regions of bass leave something to be desired, but there's good bass impact. Treble is generally on point, but there's a bit of an upper-treble emphasis. It gives these a unique, live sound, but it doesn't always sound natural. They image really well, I'm assuming in part because of that upper-treble spike, and soundstage is of decent size. Mid ranges is good, if somewhat unexceptional. The overall sound is somewhere around reference, leaning toward the fun sided.
5. Grado GH3 - An absolute blast of a headphone. Not the most refined sound ever, but they lavish in joy so much it's really hard to complain. Treble has some odd dark spots in it, as well has some pretty significant spikes, and mid range seems to have a bit of a lower-mid emphasis. Bass hits HARD, though extension is weak. It all adds up to a very visceral, lively sound that's really hard to top. Soundstage and imaging are fantastic, especially for an on-ear headphone. I don't think Grados should ever be someone's sole headphone, but I think everyone should own a Grado.
6. - AKG K612 Pro - One of my favorite sub-$200 headphones. They're so well-rounded, there's not really a single thing they don't do well. Bass is well extended, treble is right where it should be, mids are pretty much unmatched, soundstage is huge, and imaging is fantastic. I used to complain that they are hard to drive, but amps have really come a long way since the K601. These never really got the love I feel they deserve. I think they are every bit the equal of the likes of HD600/650/6XX, yet come priced well under.
7. Sony MDR-CD900ST - The most detailed headphone I've ever heard, by a country mile. Before hearing the HD800, I thought that might be the one to beat these in that regard, but nope, these are still the detail king. Bass has good impact, though weak extension. Treble is subdued, so they generally sound laid back, yet they reach into the music and pull out every last detail there is. As I've heard more headphones, I've found these to be less and less musical, to the point where I don't really reach for them all that much anymore. I've come to realize that these really, truly are a studio tool.
8. AKG K501 - I like these well enough. They're remarkably similar to the K612, though lack the bass quantity and extension. They're a neat novelty from their time, but don't really stand up to modern headphones.
9. Ultrasone HFI-580 - A curious, yet underrated headphone in my book. It's probably the most traditional sounding headphone by Ultrasone, in that it has the weakest S-Logic effect. It still has it a little, you can tell by the fact that the soundstage is quite large for a closed headphone, but it doesn't have the weird imaging that the other S-Logic headphones have. Treble is fairly boosted, though not to the same degree as their other headphones. Mid range is flat, which actually makes them kinda impressive. At the time these came out they were fighting with other bass-boosted headphones, but most of those has messed up mid ranges. The Sony MDR-XB700 and Audio Technica M50s in particular come to mind. It doesn't quite have the great extension as those two, but the impact of the bass is really something to behold.
10. Beyerdynamic Aventho - My beater on-the-go headphone. Good sounding, though a little bright. Bass presence is a little weak, but not terrible. They have decent imaging, though small soundstage. Not really a whole lot to say about them. Actually, the rest of my headphones are going to follow this trend.
11. Sennheiser HD-25 - My previous beater headphone. Again, sounds good, but too bright. Moving to the Aventho cut down on some of that, but these two are roughly equal in my book.
12. Koss Porta Pro - Very dark sounding headphone, but still enjoyable. Nice bass impact, solid mid range, and pretty much anything sounds good through them. Soundstage and imaging are lacking, though. Still, not bad for $40 or whatever.
13. Sony MDR-XB700 - Sort of a train wreck, sort of impressive. Mid range is absolutely garbage, and treble is a little bright, but the soundstage and imaging are decent for a headphone of this sort. Bass is very boosted, and is absolutely bottomless. It's very clean, though. You can basically EQ unlimited bass into these and they don't break up.

Oct 27, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #6,771 of 8,131
(I'm including all the headphones I've owned.)

Stax SR-007A with BluTack mod (best transparency, excellent everything, very smooth sounding, "Stax fart" a little annoying.)
Sony IER-M9 (A little uncomfortable. Sounds nearly perfect.)
Sony IER-Z1R (A little uncomfortable. Sounds nearly perfect. Could use a little more bass impact.)
Sony MDR-Z1R (Closed headphones with great transparency and better bass than HD800S. Amazing for a closed back. Similar to ZMF Eikon but with slight peaks in freq. response that sound a little unnatural at times and better bass extension.)
ZMF Eikon (Similar to the MDR-Z1R but with more even frequency response but less bass extension.)
Sennheiser HD800S (Super transparent with more bass than Stax SR Lambda Pro. Lightweight but ear pads are large but don't conform well.)
Campfire Andromeda (Rivals HD800S / MDR-Z1R in transparency and very even sounding. Good everything, except bass is a bit light. Sound stage is a little smaller than with over ear headphones.)
Audeze LCD-4 (Best bass, good but not great transparency, very heavy, prone to driver failures with pressure changes.)
SendyAudio Aiva (Great build quality, looks good, good frequency response except bass extension is lacking.)
Audeze Mobius (Some of the best bass I've heard but soundstage is small.)
Audeze LCD-2 closed back (Heavy, bass extension and impact are lacking, isolation is poor for a closed back.)
Stax SR Lambda Pro (Super transparent.)
AKG K7XX (Great value. Elastic may go bad over time.)
Sennheiser HD600 (Slightly more realistic frequency response than HD650.)
Sennheiser HD650
qdc Neptune
(Good value, sounds like the Andromeda, but a little more muffled and more bass and bass extension).
Beyerdynamic DT880 (Annoying treble peak, ~8.5 kHz.)
AKG K702 (Painful headband.)
Beyerdynamic DT990
Grado SR-80e
with L cushions (L cusions improve sound quite a bit, kind of uncomfortable, tons of midbass, good transparency.)
Denon D2000
Shure SE846
(Terrible value. Sounds similar to the IE80.)
Sennheiser IE80 (Good value, but sound a little muffled compared to higher end stuff.)
Etymotic ER4XR (Good as earplugs. Sound not very impressive.)
Sennheiser HD598 (A little muffled sounding.)
Bose Triport (Good 3D sound positioning. Lightweight. A bit muffled overall.)
Westone W30 (All mid-range. Not very good for listening to music.)
Grado SR-60i (Poor fit, comfort and bass. Decent transparency. Would probably sound better with L cushions.)
KZ ZS6 (Treble is peaky.)
VJJB-V1S (Sound is very good for price.)
ViSang R02 (Sound is very good for price.)
Koss Porta Pro (Very light weight. Sound is pretty good for price. Open back design.)
Panasonic RPHJE120S
Panasonic RP HT355

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #6,772 of 8,131
1. Grado SR 325i (gold), after fifteen years still sounding beautifully.
2. Grado SR 80e, almost as good as the 325's.
3. Apple Airpods (second generation), I love 'open' speakers, so no Airpods pro or other muffled sounding speakers for me.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #6,773 of 8,131
Six weeks, since last report...

1. HFM HE-500 9.55/10.0 (heavy mods, see sig); midrange first, but bass and treble very good, very wide soundstage, excellent depth, speaker like, bit warm, but lots of detail. Went to a mix of dynamat & sorbothane to cut bass resonances - better.

2. HFM HEX v2 9.45/10.0 (use Dekoni Nuggets) to raise bottom of cups up to get max treble and detail. Lacks treble detail (get pure silver cable to help) and dynamics, but music always gets through, doesn't ever offend. Nice bass extension to 20 Hz. Coherence is its middle name. Will change cables in the cups, said to be great update.

* HFM HE6SE - lots of detail, excellent bass (not equal of HE-6), feels like an even curve - but there is a big spike at 3.8 kHz which leads to long term fatigue. NEW Tried Custom Cans cable, MrSpeakers Ether pads, rear screen off - better soundstage, but spike remains.

3. Senn HD-600 (lightly modded) 9.05/10.0 this rating on Ragnarok, on BH Crack it's a 9.35. Clean, tonally correct, great for classical.

4. Brainwavz Alara 8.1/10.0 (screen taken off, MrSpeakers Ether Angled pads,add dynamat, felt). Excellent build quality, Super bass, good all the way up to top of female voice, treble recessed, lacking detail. SOLD

5. HFM HE5LE 7.85/10.0 - remembered better than it was, too bright, too moody; unlike everything below it in my ratings it can sound like music about 15% of the time.

6. HFM HE5SE 7.2/10.0 - dynamically limited, every note seems to be missing small but critical piece(s). Audio milqetoast. Wait a year and get them for $150 if you must have them. SOLD

7. MD 4XX 7.2/10.0 - "FUN" response curve, good for price

8. Fostex FH500RP 6.9/10.0 - tried many mods, clean and unobjectionable. No bass push, treble too polite and lacking detail. Mids OK w/ female vocals, it's time has passed. Will try new mods. If they don't work, time to move em' out.

Dec 11, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #6,774 of 8,131
1. Focal Elex: Crazy dynamics, crazy detail, strong and punchy bass, and a nice midrange. Treble maybe a tad too bright. Timbre could be a tad better. But mostly, really, really good. The most "fun" headphone I've ever listened to.

2. Sennheiser HD 600 (previously owned): Really nice sound signature. Neutral and flat. Sub-bass a bit lacking. Mids fantastic, especially their timbre, which exceeds that of the Elex. Really weak soundstage, though.

3. Hifiman 4xx: Unbalanced tonality. Nice to listen to, but fatiguing due to treble attack.

Dec 11, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #6,775 of 8,131
Hmm, this is difficult.
  1. Three-way tie between Focal Utopia, ZMF Auteur, and ZMF Verite. I like all three for the various things they do well. All complementary cans. These three make up the bulk of my listening and are my standard rotation
  2. Sennheiser HD6XX: Just a good, resolving headphone. Yes, the bass isn't that great, but it makes a phenomenal reference can. *note: the Focal Clear would go here, but my mom liked it so much she "borrowed" it from me.
  3. Hifiman HE560 v1: Not a bad can at all. However, I'm not the biggest fan of its plasticky timbre angle vs grainy (I prefer the grainy angle, plus I'm just not the biggest fan of planars). Fantastic resolve though, and when amp-matched well, doesn't have too much treble weirdness. Biggest negative for me is comfort; just doesn't fit well on my phat head.
  4. AKG K7XX: Least favorite can. Bought out of curiosity used from a kind friend, but hardly gets used.

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #6,776 of 8,131
I use EQ on all my headphones (none on my IEM's) because none of them sound correct to me with their stock tuning
1. Hifiman HE-400
2. V-moda M-100
3. Sony MDR V6

IEM:
1. TFZ T2
2. Semkarch CNT1
3. Blon 03
4. Sony MH755
5. Samsung IG955
6. KZ ZS 10 Pro
7. Tin T2

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #6,777 of 8,131
I use EQ on all my headphones (none on my IEM's) because none of them sound correct to me with their stock tuning
1. Hifiman HE-400
2. V-moda M-100
3. Sony MDR V6

IEM:
1. TFZ T2
2. Semkarch CNT1
3. Blon 03
4. Sony MH755
5. Samsung IG955
6. KZ ZS 10 Pro
7. Tin T2

Big Fan of MDR V6:

1.) Sony MDR V6
2.) Sennheiser HD-595
3.) Sony MDR 7506
4.) Sennheiser HD-600

Dec 12, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #6,778 of 8,131
1) Focal Clear
2) Audeze LCD 3f - ZMF Aeolus
3) ZMF Eikon
4) Spirit Labs MMXXI

Dec 12, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #6,779 of 8,131
ZMF Aeolus - No question, this is the best headphone ever in my stable, and it's one of the best I've ever heard.
Final Audio E5000 - For an IEM that costs a lot less, it sounds remarkably like the Aeolus! But also just as power hungry.
Meze 99 Noir - Best portable headphone in the mix. Also the most comfortable headphone.
Moondrop Kanas - Great travel IEM, with that bass response. I need to swap the cable or get a ES100 if I'm going to use this on the go.
TFZ No.3 - My commuter IEM currently connected to the TRN BT20 wireless earhooks. The upper mids are too aggressive, but otherwise a great value.
B&O Beoplay H3 - The IEM that refuses to die!! I've had it for years and keep it around jic one of my other headphones are inaccessible. Kudos to Bang & Olufsen for making something very small and thin, but sturdy and robust.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #6,780 of 8,131
1. Focal Elear
2. Sennheiser HD650
3. Meze Classics 99
4. AudioQuest NightHawk Carbons
5. Sony WH-1000xm3
6. Audeze Mobius
7. Audeze Sine (Brainwavz Pads)
8. Grado SR80i

Users who are viewing this thread

Back