Rank the Headphones that You Own.
May 3, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #6,226 of 8,134
* denotes modified
1. Monolith M1060* - Heavily modified. Absurdly wide soundstage and ridiculous extension. Good detail, imaging and transient response. Good comfort but heavy. Somewhat sloppy tonality. Poor tonality in stock form. Poor build quality. A-
2. Fostex T50RP Mk3* - Heavily modified. Extreme customization. Insanely fast transient response. Excellent comfort after headstrap and pad swap. Excellent build quality, tonality, extension and imaging. Average soundstage and detail. Poor comfort and extension in stock form. B+
3. Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ω* - Lightly modified. Excellent build quality, detail, imaging, transient response, and detail. Very good tonality, extension and soundstage. Sibilant. Above average comfort. B+
4. Philips Fidelio L2 - Excellent build quality and comfort. Good extension, detail, tonality, soundstage and extension. Average transient response and imaging. B
5 (tie). Sennheiser HD 6XX - Outstanding tonality. Excellent imaging and detail. Average build quality, transient response. Good comfort but too much clamp out of the box. Poor extension and soundstage. C+
5 (tie). Philips SHP9500S* - Lightly modified. Outrageously comfortable. Very good extension modified. Good soundstage and imaging. Average build quality, transient response and detail. Below average extension in stock form. Grainy but overall excellent tonality. C+

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #6,228 of 8,134
Wow thos focal seem quite below for their price. Are the 660s that good? Should I skip the 650 and go for those?

I didn’t like the outcome myself because I really like the design of focal headphones but HD660s price/performance ratio is unmatched. I rather keep the HD660s and wait for the HD820 or a new flagship from Focal to make a move.

May 3, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #6,229 of 8,134
Pioneer SE Master 1
Denon LA-7000 (fully modded with Q French Silk cable)
Denon MD-2000 (Lawton mods, pads and Bubinga cups)
HE-400 (fully modded)

May 3, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #6,230 of 8,134
For the most part everything is listed in my personal info page here on this site.

https://www.head-fi.org/members/humblepie.478484/

Below is my Over the Ear rankings:

Top 4:
1) Focal Elex
2) Fostex TH900mk2
3) Audeze EL-8 Open
4) Hifiman HE4XX

Tier 1 to 4 are all very good headphones. The following below is just a more granular than the list of the same info that can be found in my personal info page linked above.

Tier 1:
Emu Ebony, Fostex Mahogany, Monoprice M1060 v2, Hifiman 400i, Philips Fidelio X2, Blue Lola, Blue Mofi, Philips SHP9500, Oppo PM3

Tier 2:
Aeon Flow Closed, Sony MDR Z7, Sennheiser HD6XX, Fostex T-X0, Pioneer HRM6, Takstar Pro 82, Beyerdynamics DT880, AKG 545, Griffin Woodtones, Audio Technica WS1100iS, Monoprice M560

Tier 3:
Beyerdynamics Custom One Plus Pro, Monoprice 8323, SIVGA sv007, SIVGA sv002, VModa M100, Hifiman Edition S, Lasmex L-85, Lasmex H-120, Bosshifi B7, Bosshifi B8, Koss DJ Pro200, Akai Professional 50x, Symphonized Wraith 2.0, Logitech UE6000, Superlux HD 681 EVO, Roccat Cross, Razor Blacksharks, DIZA100 lightweights

Tier 4:
Monoprice Retro, OneOdio DJ Pros, Sennheiser HD206, Liboer BH718, Freeboss HF2010, Status Audio CB-1, Plantronics Rig, Bluedio Turbine T3 (with mods)

Tier 5:
Aizers AZ-A700, Tate& Buaer HD900R, Philips SLH3300 (without mods), Marantz mph-4, ISK MDH8500, Superlux HD 685, Logitech G430, Logitech G930, Kinden 3D Transformers

Tier 6:
NVX XPT100, Bluedio Turbine T3 (without mods), Ausdom NC7, Freeboss FB 888, Superlux HD 668B, LyxPro OEH-10

Bottom Tier:
Mixcder ShareMe Pro, House Use Products (Langsdom VA800)

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #6,231 of 8,134
LCD-3 :) (juicy)
SE535 (enjoyable and non-fatiguing, but good seal is imperative)
R70X (quite good for enjoyment listening, but a bit grainy mids/highs)
M40X (surprisingly good, especially for the price)
B&W PX (too muddy and boxy sounding)
M70X (good clarity and detail, but lacks bass; needs EQ for enjoyment listening)
M50X (too scooped)

Currently auditioning Meze 99 Classics, and I'd put them between SE535 and R70X. Warm and enjoyable.

LCD-i4 is incoming for audition, fingers crossed.

Don't own Utopia, but have auditioned them a few times, and would rank them about the same as the Meze. Utopia is too bright for my taste, and loses composure with busy loud rock, IMO. I know I'm in the minority here.

I'm trying the i4 and it's battling with the LCD-3 for 1st place. They each have their strengths, so maybe best to say it's close a tie overall.

May 7, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #6,232 of 8,134
Top 3

1. Sennheiser HD600

2. Yamaha HPH 200
New entry although I've had them before. The ultimate open lightweight? Or the only open backed ON-EAR full size headphone that isn't a Grado ??*. One of a dying breed started with the revolutionary HD414???
Whatever, instruments sound realistic on these headphones made by a.... Great manufacturer of instruments

3. Jays v-Jays

The inferior Closed Back alternatives

4. Sennheiser HD25
5. Musical Fidelity MF200 (these do sound open though)
6. Sony MDR 10RC

THE in ear

7. Musical Fidelity EB50 (edit: maybe third in sound but I like headphones on rather than in ear generally)

Note all of the above except the Sennheisers are all discontinued which while sad made them bargains :) it's price first with me and if they sound great Its a bonus

* No- C-Jays with large pads and Ultrasone Hfi15G dont count and Ive had both

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #6,233 of 8,134
For the most part everything is listed in my personal info page here on this site.

https://www.head-fi.org/members/humblepie.478484/

Below is my Over the Ear rankings:

Top 4:
1) Focal Elex
2) Fostex TH900mk2
3) Audeze EL-8 Open
4) Hifiman HE4XX

Tier 1 to 4 are all very good headphones. The following below is just a more granular than the list of the same info that can be found in my personal info page linked above.

Tier 1:
Emu Ebony, Fostex Mahogany, Monoprice M1060 v2, Hifiman 400i, Philips Fidelio X2, Blue Lola, Blue Mofi, Philips SHP9500, Oppo PM3

Tier 2:
Aeon Flow Closed, Sony MDR Z7, Sennheiser HD6XX, Fostex T-X0, Pioneer HRM6, Takstar Pro 82, Beyerdynamics DT880, AKG 545, Griffin Woodtones, Audio Technica WS1100iS, Monoprice M560

Tier 3:
Beyerdynamics Custom One Plus Pro, Monoprice 8323, SIVGA sv007, SIVGA sv002, VModa M100, Hifiman Edition S, Lasmex L-85, Lasmex H-120, Bosshifi B7, Bosshifi B8, Koss DJ Pro200, Akai Professional 50x, Symphonized Wraith 2.0, Logitech UE6000, Superlux HD 681 EVO, Roccat Cross, Razor Blacksharks, DIZA100 lightweights

Tier 4:
Monoprice Retro, OneOdio DJ Pros, Sennheiser HD206, Liboer BH718, Freeboss HF2010, Status Audio CB-1, Plantronics Rig, Bluedio Turbine T3 (with mods)

Tier 5:
Aizers AZ-A700, Tate& Buaer HD900R, Philips SLH3300 (without mods), Marantz mph-4, ISK MDH8500, Superlux HD 685, Logitech G430, Logitech G930, Kinden 3D Transformers

Tier 6:
NVX XPT100, Bluedio Turbine T3 (without mods), Ausdom NC7, Freeboss FB 888, Superlux HD 668B, LyxPro OEH-10

Bottom Tier:
Mixcder ShareMe Pro, House Use Products (Langsdom VA800)

1990 and 800 nowhere on the list?

May 11, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #6,235 of 8,134
Don't own the DT1990 nor the HD800.
Oh you own all those cans? I thought that list was based on what you've heard. Man you've got it bad.

One thing I always pride myself in doing is eliminate can's that serve a dual purpose. I've got outdoor, indoor, listening, studio, open closed, portable, etc. Then I just improve in each category otherwise Ill end up with 100 pair of cans and only listen to three.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #6,236 of 8,134
Oh you own all those cans? I thought that list was based on what you've heard. Man you've got it bad.

I guess I got it bad since I certainly own all those and a few more I didn't mention. Along with more on the way. The DT1990 is on my wish list to get, the HD800 not so much though.

May 11, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #6,238 of 8,134
I dont own all my phones anymore but I can rank what I have owned since I only recently cleaned shop.
(New entry added SR L700)

STAX SR-L700 Hyper clean and the most musical STAX I have ever heard
Stax SR-404 Pretty much take the AD2000 and give it estat speed and some bass
HE560 Quite good midrange a little recssed, very good detail retrieval with nice extended bass (lacks impact)
HE-6 Better midrange and bass impact than HE560 but the treble is very sharp and bothersome
AD-900X Great 150 dollar can. Midrange is very Japanese. Quite bass impact and extention shy. Similar treble to the SR L700 but a little more etched and a tad brighter. Grainy sometimes
SHP9500 To much treble, anemic bass, grain city. But it was 50 dollars lmao
Astro A50 Very lo-fi and compressed sounding but tonality is actually not half bad and it doesnt offend
HE-400i (2.5mm) It may just be me but this had no impact and mediocre extention. Mids sounded recessed versus the treble. Treble was super peaky and hot, very irritating
Monoprice M565 Just no. The treble is like a blackhole. Bass has little impact but decent extention. Everything sounds super nasle and detatched. It sorta sounds like an Audeze without Audeze mids or impact. Take that how you will

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #6,239 of 8,134
It's been a while since I've done this. More my rankings based on preference for usage, sound quality, and comfort.

1. HD800

In lieu of not being able to afford the Focal Utopia, this is my Shangri-La. Oh wait, scratch that... can't afford that one either. Well this is my current fav. And primarily for one big reason - massive soundstage and dimension. As I like to listen to a lot of binaural music, field recordings as well as classical - this headphone has me covered, peak and all. I've still only had it a short while, but I'm very happy just to plug-in some ambient music and sail away with these. To me, this is the headphone experience. The most modern take on the diffuse-field, still unmatched in this respect.

1.5 HD540 Reference (300ohm)

For a 30-year old headphone, it compares pretty well against any of the new HD-series headphones, from 600 to 800. Slightly rougher, just slightly, but it betters the 600,650, and 800 in a more realistic frequency presentation. Plenty of air and neutral mid-range. Can come across as a bit dry but it is faithful to the recordings and timbre of instruments. No weird sharpness, no strange peaks. Feed it the best jazz, rock or electronic and it is clear. Bass rolls off like most HD series.

1.6 HD250 Linear (600ohm)

Take the 540 Reference and squeeze them into a closed-back that somehow still manages to sound open, improves on bass, is a bit tonally darker but has a very sparkly top-end. Can sound quite realistic as it has one of the flattest mid-range. One of the earlier versions of the DF curve, the 250 is always a pleasure to listen to and represent the low end very well.

2. HD630VB

This headphone just sounds better outside or lounging on a couch. This is what it was designed for. It has a very high-quality of sound rivalling and even exceeding aspects of the famed HD600 series. Low distortion, and incredibly deep bass when you want it. Walking around outdoors, you are bringing a mobile sound system with you. Not as natural as the 250, it excels with more modern genres. Still, the top end is very balanced and detailed so it can work for higher quality recordings. A very tough and well-built can, except the cable... which is firmly attached and non-detachable because of its dual Android/iOS mic functions. Surprisingly, the mic, playback and volume controls are very useful when walking around. Thankfully, you can open it up and replace it with another Senn cable, or if you know someone with the chops, attach another aftermarket cable. I'm just careful with it, and the cable is pretty tough. It would have been better received if made detachable.

2.5 LCD2 Rev 1

From a pure quality perspective, this is still a top headphone. I just prefer more top-end clarity. It sounds very good EQ'd and I'd rank it higher in that case on sound-quality. Even without EQ, it can be something that you can then turn up a bit more and sink into its sound.

3. Denon AH-D2000

Still sounds incredible. Very linear, with a slight darker slope but then with a splashy upper treble. Bass extends very well. Manages to handle everything very well. A great set of 'beater' cans that aren't that far away from total greatness. A good alternative to the classic HD600 series if you want better bass and treble in single design.

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #6,240 of 8,134
Updated list by category:

Open:
1) Audeze LCD-4 [best planar, deep, punchy, fast bass, lush midrange, smooth treble]
1a) Focal Utopia [best dynamic, ultra resolving, ultra clarity]
2) Sennheiser HD-800S [open, insightful, dynamic, wide soundstage]
2a) Hifiman HE-1000 V2 [outstanding all arounder, airy, transparent]
3) Klipsch HP-3
4) Beyerdynamic DT-1990 Pro [Best mid-fi headphone I've heard. Dynamic, punchy, well balanced, two sets of earpads giving you two different sound signatures]
4a) Grado GH1

Closed:
1) Fostex TH-900 MK2 [most open sounding closed headphone on the planet]
1a) Sony MDR- Z1R [most musically enjoyable headphone I own. Full-bodied, extended at both ends, great midrange]
2) Audeze LCD-XC
3) Oppo PM-3 [best portable, neutral, creamy mids, musical, nice bass]
4) Audio-Technica ATH-M50X

Wireless:
1) B&W P7 Wireless [lacks some features but still the best sounding wireless to my ears]
2) Sony WH-1000XM2 [feature packed, great supporting app, great noise cancellation]
3) Bose QC35 II
4) Bose SoundSport Wireless [great workout earbuds, nice balanced sound]
5) Sennheiser M2 IEBT

IEM:
1) Audeze LCDi4 [headphone like presentation, can be eq’d to sound like any headphone out there]
2) Shure SE846
3) Etymotic ER4XR
4) Ultimate Ears Triple-Fi 10
5) Apple AirPods

Gaming:
Sennheiser Game Zero

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back