Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Apr 16, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #6,211 of 8,131
Essential to me:
Sony z7 (unique in term of "feel the air",good at expressing the sound of electric guitar)
AKG K701(for the elegant sound of violin)
Beyerdynamic dt880(for the swift sound of piano)
Philips X2HR(for authentic vocals)

Good:
Beyerdynamic dt990 pro (good for classical music)
Audio-technica m50x (balanced sound and easily drived)
Beyerdynamic dp100(only sold in China ,flaw : the lows is not adequet)
AKG n60nc wireless(flaw: the soundstage is not enough wide)

Bad:
Beyerdynamic Dt1350(the piano is good,uncomfortable,the soundstage is very small ,other aspects are all too common)

Apr 16, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #6,212 of 8,131
LCD-3 :) (juicy)
SE535 (enjoyable and non-fatiguing, but good seal is imperative)
R70X (quite good for enjoyment listening, but a bit grainy mids/highs)
M40X (surprisingly good, especially for the price)
B&W PX (too muddy and boxy sounding)
M70X (good clarity and detail, but lacks bass; needs EQ for enjoyment listening)
M50X (too scooped)

Currently auditioning Meze 99 Classics, and I'd put them between SE535 and R70X. Warm and enjoyable.

LCD-i4 is incoming for audition, fingers crossed.

Don't own Utopia, but have auditioned them a few times, and would rank them about the same as the Meze. Utopia is too bright for my taste, and loses composure with busy loud rock, IMO. I know I'm in the minority here.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #6,213 of 8,131
I remember you praising the 1990, dt150, k712. If you still had them, where would they fall . I would think in between the 660 and Amiron? The 712 fans who put it up against the HD800 in some cases favored the AKG, which makes all this confusing. Any insight is helpful on this quest.

I still am baffled as to how the Amiron (which is favored to T1 by more than a few ) can be beaten by dt480, as much as i like them.

If you had to choose only one, it would be the Amiron right? I've tried to extract the sub bass from dt480, but its challenging. With EQ voodooism i have been able to make it satisfactory for hip hop/some EDM/90s music for analytical purposes, but i don't know if i can live with it as my one and only Nirvana/ Holy Grail can :D

I would probably put the DT 1990 on par with the HD 660 S in terms of preference. I only like the Amiron slightly more than the HD 660 S. The DT 150 and K712 would be slightly below. If I started modding all these the ranking may change.

The DT 480 takes some work. Currently they have good strong subbass, smoothest sound of all my headphones, and a bigger soundstage than the Amiron. Not lacking for EDM at all right now. Sorbothane is your friend with the DT 480.

If I had to choose only it would be a toss up between the DT 480, Amiron, and HD 660 S. Comfort wise the Amiron and HD 660 S are notably more comfortable than anything else, the HD 660 S is the most comfortable of all my headphones. It would probably be either the Amiron or HD 660 S for comfort reasons.

Apr 16, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #6,214 of 8,131
I would probably put the DT 1990 on par with the HD 660 S in terms of preference. I only like the Amiron slightly more than the HD 660 S. The DT 150 and K712 would be slightly below. If I started modding all these the ranking may change.

The DT 480 takes some work. Currently they have good strong subbass, smoothest sound of all my headphones, and a bigger soundstage than the Amiron. Not lacking for EDM at all right now. Sorbothane is your friend with the DT 480.

If I had to choose only it would be a toss up between the DT 480, Amiron, and HD 660 S. Comfort wise the Amiron and HD 660 S are notably more comfortable than anything else, the HD 660 S is the most comfortable of all my headphones. It would probably be either the Amiron or HD 660 S for comfort reasons.

Thanks for the insight.

I have been considering sorbathane, but luckily no rattles or funny buzzes, everything is tight once it plays for a bit. only when it sits for a week or two it will act funny for a minute, but then it just plays smoothly like a well oiled machine. Its the funniest thing, just like old 80s benzs'. i think i lucked out, but might open it up down the road. i don't want to play with fire with the internal wires while there are no major issues really.

I hope to demo the 660/Amiron /.

712 will be on my noggin soon as part of my quest to acquire trio.

Then hopefully the 660 before finally the.

HOLY GRAIL :D which i hope will be R10, but most likely be something inferior :frowning2: but thats ok. I just want something that is 95% R10 then i will be OK :D

Apr 16, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #6,215 of 8,131
I've been looking at a set of Meze 99's or Nighthawk Carbon's and I think I'm gonna go with the latter since I would use them for gaming most often. I bought the LCD2 Classics a few weeks back and they sure are superb. I think the bass is very textured and the general tone is very dynamic. Comfort is also spectacular. LCD X's is the way to go next I think.
I am also big on finding headphones that can be used and are awesome for gaming and music as well.
You use the LCD-2C’s for gaming? That’s amazing! How do they do and what games are you playing? Also why are you looking towards the nighthawk carbon and other expensive headphones for gaming when you have the lcd 2 classics?

Apr 16, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #6,216 of 8,131
Of the ones I own (using Wells Audio Headtrip amp and Cambridge 851N Streamer/Dac)

Lcd-4
Hifiman HE1k v2

Oppo PM-1 / Hifiman HE-6
LCD-3

Hifiman HE-560
LCD-2C
LCD-XC

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #6,217 of 8,131
I am also big on finding headphones that can be used and are awesome for gaming and music as well.
You use the LCD-2C’s for gaming? That’s amazing! How do they do and what games are you playing? Also why are you looking towards the nighthawk carbon and other expensive headphones for gaming when you have the lcd 2 classics?
Yes, I use my LCD2-C for gaming a lot.Because the driver is so big, sounds just surround and envelop you. Pinpointing spatial sound is also effortless, even in comparison to my K712 and X2HR. I am currently playing The Witcher 3, Subnautica and countless survival games and it often feels like an unfair advantage. Definitely recommend! I just got the Classics at the time of writing than and thought that the Nighthawks would be better by I went to Hiphonix to try them out but I didn't see the qualities that I wanted. The classics more than satisfy me when it comes to gaming though.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #6,218 of 8,131
I dont own all my phones anymore but I can rank what I have owned since I only recently cleaned shop.

Stax SR-404
HE-6
AD-900X \ HE-560 (tie)
SHP9500
Astro A50
HE-400i (2.5mm)
Monoprice M565

The 404 made me think of a super AD900X so that was a very pleasant headphone as it met my personal sound signiture quite nicely. HE-6 was nearly as good but the treble was just a tad to bothersome for me and I sold them before I thought about modding them which is a damn shame. AD900X is very budget but I find myself enjoying it as much as the HE-560 for most music (maybe slightly less?). I like the mids way more on the AD-900 then the HE-560 and thats really the only area it pulls ahead but its big for me. SHP9500 was damn cheap but the mids are nice. Bass not so much and the treble is head attack levels of SPL, honestly im getting to stuff I would not recommend now. Astro A50 is an oldie from before I knew about headphones. It lacks all detail and resolve but it manages not to offend me anywhere horribly. HE-400I 2.5mm bass was limp and sad with no impact and the treble fatigued the hell out of me and I could not use it for anything. M565 is just awful to me. It has pillow impact Audeze esque upper mid suckout and there is def a treble peak somewhere giving it air. No stage very 2D sounding and just generally Audeze shortcomings with nothing that makes the Audeze cans good.

Apr 17, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #6,219 of 8,131
My 1st and 2nd are basically a tie and depending on what I am listening to I may prefer one over the other.

1st: MrSpeaker Ether Flow
2nd: ZMF Auteur Blackwood
3rd: Hifiman 400s (modded)
4th: Fostex T50RP MKII (modded)
5th: Audeze iSine 10
6th: Fischer Audio FA-011
7th: Brainwavz HM5
8th: Shure SE215

God I have too many headphones and not enough ears. I don't even want to know how long this list would have been if I included headphones I previously owned.

Edit: almost forgot these because I have had them in a shoe box for years.

9th: Logitech G35 gaming headset.

Wish I had more headphones in my collection just so I could push the Logitech G35 further down the list. Don't ever buy surround sound headphones guys!

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #6,220 of 8,131
1. AKG K340 Electrostatic-Dynamic
1. AKG K240 Sextett (MP version)
2. Philips Fidelio X2
3. AKG K7XX
4. Beyerdynamic DT150
5. FostexT50RP

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #6,221 of 8,131
My 1st and 2nd are basically a tie and depending on what I am listening to I may prefer one over the other.

1st: MrSpeaker Ether Flow
2nd: ZMF Auteur Blackwood
3rd: Hifiman 400s (modded)
4th: Fostex T50RP MKII (modded)
5th: Audeze iSine 10
6th: Fischer Audio FA-011
7th: Brainwavz HM5
8th: Shure SE215

God I have too many headphones and not enough ears. I don't even want to know how long this list would have been if I included headphones I previously owned.

Edit: almost forgot these because I have had them in a shoe box for years.

9th: Logitech G35 gaming headset.

Wish I had more headphones in my collection just so I could push the Logitech G35 further down the list. Don't ever buy surround sound headphones guys!
Which Ether Flow, closed or open?

May 2, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #6,223 of 8,131
HD660s
Utopia
LCD4
Clear
LCD X
LCD2C
Elear

May 2, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #6,225 of 8,131
The ones I own right now, just by SQ:

- Audeze iSine 10