Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Apr 16, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #5,386 of 8,134
I haven't listened to the 1.0s at any great length, but the 2.0 over-ears have treble, but they have no air (they are rolled off at probably around 14 kHz ish).  After you hear any pair of Audezes, you'll see exactly what is missing about any of the Momentums (and most all other headphones) straight away.

That's a bit of a broad sweeping statement.
Have you heard the EL-8 closed-back?  If anything, that's an example of an Audeze headphone that has quite a lot 'missing'.
LCD-XC isn't exactly a shining example either. 

Apr 16, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #5,387 of 8,134
From my limited time getting in to this scene.

Logitech UE6000 (Really enjoyable all rounder)
Sony MDR 10RC (For their small price these are great bargain. Warm and full sounding, great for movies)
Senn Momentum 2.0 On Ear (Great sound but forgettable after a while. Still nice to go back to)
Senn HD25ii (First decent pair, like the Momentums, get boring after a while as bit too congested)

(Bottom of the list by far)

AKG k550 (Thin, lifeless, boring)
Grado sr80e (Migraine material. i despise the Grado sound).

Apr 21, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #5,389 of 8,134
My current favorite list

HD800S
Shures KSE1500
HE500
B&O H6
ATH ESW10

Apr 21, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #5,390 of 8,134
Here's my list

1) AKG K7XX (natural, open sounding)
2) Beyer DT880 250ohm (close second, but somewhat recessed mids)
3) Grado SR125i (light on the bass, but there are things to like - good for rock)
4) Sennheiser HD 497 (okay I haven't listened to these in a long time!)

Apr 22, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #5,394 of 8,134
Beyerdynamic dt 880 pro
Beyerdynamic dt 990 pro
Fostex t50rp mkIII
Sennheiser HD 598
Sennheiser momentum
Sennheiser HD 518 modded
Sony mdr 1r
Beats mixr
Vmoda crossfade lp (suck) unable to mod because of a screw the is busted from the box

Apr 23, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #5,395 of 8,134
Added a new one to the stable, but the stable itself only has a few stalls at the moment...

Foobar2000 -> ODAC -> E90 -> ESP950
iBasso DX80 -> T5p
iPod Classic -> UE 900

Apr 24, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #5,396 of 8,134
Oh man, it's been forever since I've done this. Here goes:

1. Beyerdynamic T5P V1 - My big-boy headphones. The 800 pound gorilla of the bunch. End game. These do... Just everything well. Such a spacious sound for a closed headphone, with a nice, airy sound. Overall they lean toward energetic and bright, but in no way harsh. Bass has nice thump, and extends low, but they certainly aren't bass monsters. They're just incredibly detailed, yet endlessly forgiving. You put crap quality through them, and gold comes out the other side. You put great sounding music through them, and an experience come out the other side! Just a treat to listen to every time I put them on.

2. Sony MDR-CD900ST - I've raved about these for years, and it still holds true: utterly amazing for the price. Borderline end-game. Somewhat lacking in bass extension, and maybe a little sterile at times, but still a joy to listen to.

3. Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 - Owned these a while ago, loved them, gave them away, and have since gotten another pair. Probably the most nicely balanced bassy headphone out there. A little bit "V" shaped, but mids still get some love. Spacious sounding, comfortable, easy to drive, isolate well: these things just tick a lot of boxes.

4. AKG M220 - The newest addition to the crew. I had owned the K271s a while ago, but never bothered with the K240s until I saw these GORGEOUS white ones. Sound-wise you can tell they're in the same family as the K271s... But kind of opposite.  The K271s were just on the bright end of neutral, and these are more on the darker end. Nicer bass impact, better extension, and overall warmer presentation make them a keeper!

5. AKG K612 - Until the M220s these would be my #4, but I find myself somewhat fatigued by them with certain music, and the mids sound somewhat thinner than the M220s. And while their soundstage is slightly bigger, their imaging sounds like it's missing something in the center. Sound is either a dot in the center, or it's pushed all the way to the side. The M220s have more natural imaging, with a soundstage that's still quite large.

6. Koss Pro DJ 100 - These have been my go-to beater headphone for a while, as well as my go-to recommendation for people just jumping into the hobby. Sound-wise, they just do SO much right. Nice amount of bass, fantastic mids, and a sparkly yet not fatiguing treble range. Soundstage is somewhat large for a closed headphone, too. It's a shame their build quality is less than amazing, pads are pretty crappy, and they don't isolate super well.

7. Sony MDR-ZX700 - Sonically, I would place these below the KSC-75s, but these are another headphone that just does a lot right. Isolation is fantastic. Extremely comfortable. Build quality is great for a $40 headphone. Easy to drive, nice imaging, good overall tonal balance. Very, very good for movies and games. Upper mids/treble is extremely harsh for some music. I mean, really, really unpleasant. Listening to Bob Dylan is impossible on them for me, so that's a HUGE knock to them.

8. Koss KSC-75 - I don't think there's much I need to say? They're legendary for their price.

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #5,398 of 8,134
HD 650
HD 598

Apr 24, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #5,400 of 8,134
  • HiFiMan HE1000 - I was hesitant to put these first because the #2 headphones are technically better. And these do take a little effort. I can pick a half dozen amplifiers from my previous ownership list that did not qualify - Grace Design m9XX made the headphone sound piercing to my ears, Meier-Audio Corda Rock was a little wooly in the bass, Schiit Mjolnir was also just not my favorite pairing. Then there are the tubes that just don't work such as the DNA Sonett that made crackling sounds, Valhalla that cannot be impedance matched, or Valhalla 2 that just sounds thin. But even out of something as simple as a CEntrance DACport, this headphone sounds just fine. And out of a good setup, it sounds fine enough to be listened to for hours and hours without break. It is a detailed, clean headphone - it is also a pleasure to listen to. That is why is #1.
  • Sennheiser HD800S - they fixed the treble! I did not know the bass could also use a little help, but I like what I hear from both fixes. This is a spectacular headphone! It is not number one because it still is more sports car than convertible cruiser. When I put the top down on my Miata, that's the HE1000. With the top up, it is still a spectacular car, but it is not the place I want to spend as many hours of my time. That is more the HD800S. This is still an HD800, true and true, and a spectacular listen.
  • AKG K702 - so inexpensive to own. So dry and accurate. So comfortable and lightweight! I have no discomfort issues with #1 or #2, but this headphone is likely even more universally easy to fit. This headphone is also my scalpel, my tool for discerning if the change I just made was for the good. This is a really good headphone, not far behind the HD800S and these days a really great bargain!
  • Sennheiser HD650 - this was my first headphone, back from 2003. But my ranking here is for the 2015 version of this headphone. For someone who has been listening to the original for 12 years (like me), this newer edition is a dramatic departure. It is still a pleasure to listen to, similar to the HE1000 and similar to the original version of the HD650. But today, it is also offers a lot more detail retrieval. I don't know about the veil - this is a great overall headphone, and can be played through a number of systems that the above #1 - #3 headphones might not survive (well, the listener might not). It is a good balance of details and forgiveness.
  • Audeze EL-8C - yep, I still use these. But they require a clean, very clean amplifier source. I'll run this from a Chord Mojo. I'll run this from a Schiit Ragnarok. Alternatively, it requires a special tube amplifier. I was surprised just before I sold it, the DNA Sonett sounded excellent with this headphone. I will, someday, try this on the MicroZOTL2. But for now, it is hard for me to get past headphones #1 and #2.
  • Grado SR60i - bargain basement price! This is shockingly good with a low impedance tube amplifier. This also sounded good through the DNA Sonett. Similarly, it'll take a slow day for me to get past all the headphones above it to try this with MicroZOTL2. But I envision only good things there too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back