Rank the Headphones that You Own.
May 6, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #4,996 of 8,136
  The rankings also really depend on how each headphone is driven/paired. The HD600/650 can sound like junk or angels singing in your ear depending on the musical chain as I found out last weekend at a local mini-meet. Same goes with the CIEMs. I have always liked the HD800 better than my NT6pro CIEM until I compared the two on the new Schiit Ygg/Rag stack. The NT6pro gained all the HD800 sound stage and detail attributes plus killed it with perfect, impactful, organic bass that the HD800 has a hard time serving.

I too was blown away by how good CIEMs scale! In my case Alclair RSMs, incredible soundstage, clarity, detail, really awesome. It gives me a choice of reference sound whether I am on the go or listening at home.

May 6, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #4,997 of 8,136
  Your opinion about the Senn IE800- I strongly agree. This is an underrated IEM with magical capabilities, and it even beats out slightly my full size can Hifiman HE-500. Before my audition and eventual purchase of this great IEM, some of my enthusiast and audiophile friends dissuaded and told me that it is the worst-sounding high-tier universal IEM due to its brightness and inaccurate bass. The thing here is that these attributes disappeared after lengthy listening/ auditioning plus choosing the best eartips (small oblong), wearing it full insertion into the ear canal. An example of its musical capability: the guitar licks of certain jazz and rock songs heard on this wonderful IEM will make you feel it and "tickle your ears" because of its accuracy, unlike certain similarly-priced universal BA IEMs I have auditioned. 

When I first heard Westone 3, i thought they were amazing, I was blown away. At the time I was listening to my SRH1440's extensively. Then I got the IE800's, and that was it. I said this is the eargazm nirvana. I listen to some FLAC files, and I literally hear sounds from instruments that I can not hear with other headphones in my staple. It is one of those things, you listen to a song, and you just out of a sudden hear this timbre of the cymbal and you have a What moment. And you question yourself, and say I listened to this song maybe 100 times, and I just heard this on my right hear, from the depths of the sound? Then you test the same song same sound with other headphones, and you realize only IE800 produces that sound with its full clarity, other headphones just have it lost in the rest of the instruments, and then you realize, wow, this is just what it is. This is the top until you spend 2-3 times more money on what you spend on IE800 to get the same or a tad better performance.

At work, I use the ie800, can not put it aside at all. I am addicted to it. It does every genre I listen to, everything in perfection.

May 6, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #4,999 of 8,136
Quote:
  The rankings also really depend on how each headphone is driven/paired. 

and comfort and price-performance and aesthetics and ergonomics and features and..... well you get the idea.

May 6, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #5,000 of 8,136
Rank your headphones. Please rank your headphones that you own and use regularly. Please don’t list or rank headphones that you use to own or that you have tried. My goal here is to have a positive outlook ranking, not a product bashing list. I figure that if you own and use them, you must like them. Right?

My list.

1)AKG K1000
2)Etymotic ER-4S
3)AKG K501
4)Grado SR-125 (looking to upgrade these to SR-325i)

My List:
1) Sennheiser HD280 pro
2) Audio-Technica ATH-M30x
3) Audio-Technica ATH-M20x

May 6, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #5,003 of 8,136
Based mostly usage as for preference in SQ I find it hard to choose one over the other. 

1. JH-13
2. HD-800
3. LCD-3
4. K-1000
5. HP-1000

May 7, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #5,008 of 8,136
IEM's can't touch full sized headphones...

Same way HPs can't touch speakers, speakers can't touch live music.

I've been wondering why HPs can't be 2 or 3-way, like speakers and IEMs...

May 7, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #5,010 of 8,136

Same way HPs can't touch speakers, speakers can't touch live music.

I've been wondering why HPs can't be 2 or 3-way, like speakers and IEMs...

most probably placement of drivers would be the first problem with this.

there are 2 way headphones, jvc if i recall?

There have been LOADS of multi-channel and quadraphonic headphones from many brands, AKG, Sansui, Technics, Koss, Elega, Hitachi, Heru, Marants, Pioneer, Sennheiser, Toshiba, Universum etc
More recently gaming headsets have been implementing 5.1 and pseudo 7.1 headsets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back