Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Apr 8, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #4,924 of 8,138
IEM rankings after giving up on on-ear headphones.

1. TTPOD T1. Could be an all purpose iem but I like it better for jazz.

2. Narmoo S1. Replaced a TTPOD T1-E because it has better bass. The fit was a problem for my ears because of its size but I got past it with some silicone ear stabilizers that fit under the eartips.

3. Yamaha EPH-100. Liked the look and fit but grew tired of its sound signature with the Fiio X1.

4. Brainwavz R3. Best soundstage that I have heard in an iem but impractical because it won't fit my ears comfortably.

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #4,925 of 8,138
My revised ranking after getting getting two more just acquired cans (with two more older entry level cans not included previously)

01. Sennheiser HD800 (the soundstage!)
02. Grado GS1000i
02. AKG K812 (more intimate but as detailed as the HD800.....to my ears anyway)
03. Audeze LCD2 (dark with great bass, good mids and pretty decent HF that's not harsh)
03. HiFiMan HE500 (great mids and highs, decent enough bass, very 'musical')
04. Sennheiser HD700 
05. HiFiMan HE400i (just got it, but liking what I hear)
05. Audio Technica ATH-AD2000 (very detailed sounding, highs is a tad harsh, but vocals is lovely)
05. Denon AH-D2000 (detailed sounding, good soundstage for close back, good bass with tad harsh highs)
06. Beyerdynamic DT990/600 (clear highs, nice bass boost)
07. Philips Fidelio X1
07. MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (somewhat less detailed sounding to me, but very creamy sound, great for simply chilling)
08. Sennheiser HD555 (foam mod, open sounding, decent mids and highs, lacks bass)
08. Audio Technica ATH-AD700X (similar to above)
09. Fostex T50RP (stock, sounds congested, bass light, smooth vocals)

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #4,926 of 8,138
Sennheiser HD 800s......Need I say more.
AKG 712's.... Jazz, Vocalists
AKG Audio Q701 QJ ....Piano, Acoustic Guitar, and of course Quincy Jones 
Beyerdynamic DT 880 / 600 Ohm....Classical
Philips X2s ...Fun sounding all rounders
Sennheiser HD 650s........Rock, Blues.
Sennheiser HD 598s...... Movies, TV

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #4,928 of 8,138
Alejandro here, 10 years happy with Senn 650s in music room. The chatter here encourages me to swap to new drivers and see what that does. Jazz primary ear diet. With LD1+ hybrid I get all the sound stage I need from good old Meridian 24 cd player. Very happy not to have 5 other pairs of ? When I just vant to be alone in public or out in the yard I can be quite happy with Koss UR55. These are stupid cheap as in under $25, need no amp so can ride with whatever player I choose. It's the music! Stan Getz to Steely Dan; Ella, Sarah, Mulligan, Monk, Miles, Mingus, and MJQ. Vad else do I need?

It's a lovely arousal to be tempted to get some Schiit and Audeze and then just die in my home office pretending to work.  Thank you HiFiers. Love this place!

Apr 15, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #4,930 of 8,138
Apr 15, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #4,931 of 8,138
  That has changed to 

1: SS-100

2: Monitor 10-II (highly modified)

<everything else>

Hahaha can't wait for the next update 
wink.gif

Fingers crossed the PortaPro makes it no. 1

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #4,932 of 8,138
I'll play.
1) Sennheiser HD518 = Best phones I've ever owned. A little on the warm side and a tiny bit lacking in the mid-highs, so a tiny bit of detail is lost, but not terrible. They are comfortable too and I can't wear any headphones longer than 15 minutes on a very good day.
2) Monoprice 8323 Premium headphones = Rather uncomfortable and sound is just ok, but I have not played them more than 30 minutes since I got them. However, what does one want for $25?
3) Roland (I forget the model) = Why do I still have these?

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #4,933 of 8,138
  • Sennheiser HD439 (bass modded) = V-Moda M80
  • CAL! = UE6000
  • Sennheiser HD598 (sold)
  • Superlux HD681 (sold - treble fatigue) = Noontec Hammo
  • JVC HA-S400 / V-Moda LP (returned due to pain issues.  Wasn't crazy about them anyway).

Apr 15, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #4,934 of 8,138

Fingers crossed the PortaPro makes it no. 1

yeah no the portapro can't outdo the SS-100

hell the HD600 can't outdo the SS-100

they all have somewhat similar tonal balances but the SS-100 is by far the most refined of the three; the HD600 sounds tizzy and harsh in comparison

Apr 15, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #4,935 of 8,138
I've been away from here for a while an my collection has undergone a major revamp.  Let's give it a go from the top to the bottom.

Stax SR-Λ Normal Bias - A classic resurrected by extensive mods for comfort and sound.  Redamped on the back side.  Custom Ultrasuede and memory foam pads and a version of the Anax mod on the ear side to eliminate every last trace of Stax treble 'etch'.  A custom Ultrasuede and memory foam headband for even further comfort.

Stax SR-202 - Lightly modded with Ultrasuede and memory foam earpads and reversing the cloth cover over the earside grill so that the plasticky edge trime piece reflects back towards the driver.  At the moment these have slightly more edge to their treble than my SR-Λ Normal Bias even though they're actually darker.  Still puts most all dynamics and planars I've heard to shame in that respect though.  I haven't exhausted my bag of modding tricks on this one yet either.

Phonak Audeo PFE 232 - V shaped FR is great for quiet listening.  Great imaging and soundstage for an IEM.

Shure SE530 - Super smooth and liquid mids.  Listen all day and never get fatigued.

Bose QC15 - I think these are somewhat close on the heels of closed flagships like the TH900.  The overall tonality is great, but marred by several small peaks in the treble and the THD+N is a bit high.  OTOH the soundstage is amazing for closed headphone, especially a small closed headphone like this one.  Of course there's the ANC which is just the best there is.

For *practical* use these are #1 though.  As a headset for work or for listening to audiobooks and podcasts while I'm doing other stuff around the house I probably wear these 10-12 hours a day.  If I could only have one pair of headphone it would probably these.  They aren't the best, or even second best, at anything, but they're by far the most practical and do a passable job of everything.

AKG K601 - These make a good reference FR as they're very nearly a diffuse field equalization.  Unfortunately they're marred by excessive distortion and driver ringing that prevent me from listening to them for very long.

Sony XB700 - Can't get rid of them since it's too much fun to pull these out and crank the bass on occasion.  A simple mod with hair elastics over the edge of cups to keep the ginormous pads from collapsing keeps the drivers far away from you ears and give a big boost to the sound stage.

Koss KSC-75 - Perhaps the ultimate budget-fi headphone, going back and forth between it and anything else I own really drives home the idea of diminishing returns.  I have a couple of these and the get used when I'm doing something strenuous and don't want to sweat all over anything more expensive.

Fostex T50RP - These will remain on the bottom until such time as I get around to reassembling them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back