Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Mar 10, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #4,876 of 8,131
  ZMF Blackwood: I have a review up for them and even though I don't have a pair at the moment (waiting for an upgrade), I still feel like I'm missing something with everything else.
Modded Darth Beyer: I opened them up and there was nothing but cotton balls but after some damping, they can still rattle but don't sound half bad with anything with vocals anymore
OPPO PM2: They'd be fantastic headphones if I had nothing to compare them to, but since I do, they sound lacking a little bit in everything.
AKG K271: The second pair of headphones I've ever bought. With some J-Money pads they combine their very capable midrange and now have some nice bass.
Hifiman RE600: Fantastically warm, but after a while they're a bit tiring.
Master and Dynamic MH40: They're the best modern portable headphones I've used, which means next to nothing because I've hated most portable headphones. Their bass is kind of muddy, only made muddier with amplification for some reason. Their midrange is fine, but there's a random dip in the transition from the midrange to the treble that's similar to why I hated the M50. On the upside, they're easily the most durable headphones I have.

^NotaLefty, what do you think of the SR007's bass? My problem with the Stax I've tried (SR-009, Lambdas) was that while the bass was there, it didn't feel real. Rather, it felt diffuse rather than visceral like with dynamic headphones.

Are you moving up from ZMF x Vibro? I haven't been able to compare the Mr. Speakers to the ZMF x Vibro/Blackwood but they should share some similarities even when after tuning is all said and done. I really enjoy the bass from the Alpha Dog though and I think it compares to my experiences I had with the LCD-XC and LCD-2F in overall satisfaction and presence of the bass

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #4,877 of 8,131

Are you moving up from ZMF x Vibro? I haven't been able to compare the Mr. Speakers to the ZMF x Vibro/Blackwood but they should share some similarities even when after tuning is all said and done. I really enjoy the bass from the Alpha Dog though and I think it compares to my experiences I had with the LCD-XC and LCD-2F in overall satisfaction and presence of the bass

I have a comparison between the Alpha Dog, Vibro and a number of other closed cans in the ZMF thread, if you are interested.

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #4,878 of 8,131

I have a comparison between the Alpha Dog, Vibro and a number of other closed cans in the ZMF thread, if you are interested.

I am very interested in checking that out
smile_phones.gif

Mar 13, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #4,879 of 8,131

Whoops sorry I missed this! I had the Vibro and Blackwood side by side (I actually have a review comparing them!). I was never a fan of the Alpha Dog since it sounded rather artificial to me due to its cups and particular tuning. The ZMF headphones have much more accurate bass timbre and decay than the Alpha Dog. I actually like the Blackwood a great deal more than the XC.

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #4,880 of 8,131

I am very interested in checking that out
smile_phones.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/667870/review-zmf-modified-fostex-t50rp-superb/750#post_10815002

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #4,882 of 8,131
1: Sansui SS-100 and Audez'e LCD-1: These two are tied for #1 place.  No, that's not a typo. The prototype of the LCD-2 with the super-duper 90's looking OEM chassis. They're about the same level overall, with the SS-100 being cleaner and more controlled sounding as well as more natural in frequency response, while the LCD-1 is slightly bright with a ridiculously tight, concise, fast sound. SS-100 has more detail and smoother mids. LCD-1 has a better soundstage and is much more comfortable.

2: Toshiba HR-810 (modified): Closed-in sounding compared to the two above, but other than that it has all of the merits of an electrostat along with bass that's comparable to planars and good dynamics. Not very comfortable. Extremely difficult to power.

3: Sony MDR-D77 Eggo: Extremely rare. These little things sound incredible. Easily just as fast and refined as all the above. Comfortable. Isolates well. Adorably tiny and foldable. Slightly thick/warm bass. Moderate "V" shaped FR curve. A bit less treble and these would be way higher.

4: Pioneer Monitor 10-II (mods in progress): ...these will never not be a bass cannon will they >____> I've done a lot of modifications to these and I've managed to vastly improve the soundstage and FR linearity, but what I can't seem to do is get the bass down to a reasonable level. I have a few more things I'm gonna do to them, including making new earpads, and if that doesn't work... well they're still an audiophile bass cannon. They are notably less refined than my other headphones as well.

5: KOSS PortaPro: Fallen out of use since the arrival of the Eggos. Best sub-$200 headphone ever if you can get past the enormous bass and awkward fit. Baby HD600 with syrup bass.

Nothing else sees use.

Mar 22, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #4,883 of 8,131
1. Abyss 1266
Sony MDR Z1R
Sennheiser HD 800
Focal Elear
Beyerdynamic T1 2nd
Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd
AKG K812
Audeze LCD 3 (Non Fazor)
Denon D7100
B&W P9
OPPO PM2
FAD Hope VI
Denon D7000
JVC HA DX2000
Denon D600
ATH W5000
Sony MDR Z1000
Grado RS1
Sony MDR SA5000
AKG K701

Portable:
1. Denon Ah MM400
2. B&W P7
3. ATH ES10
3. Beyerdynamic T51p
4. Senheiser Momentum Over Ear (Old Version)
5. Sennheiser Amperior
6. Beyerdynamic T50p
7. B&W P5 Series 1
8. Focal Spirit One
9. B&W P3

In Ear:
1. AKG K3003 (Remote)
2. Sennheiser IE800
3. Okarachu Flat Kadae
4. Sony MDR EX1000
5. Ultrasone IQ
6. Cardas In Ear
7. FAD Heaven VI
8. ATH CKW 1000 ANV
9. ATH CK 100Pro
10. Sony XBA H3
11. Fischer Amps FA 3
12. Klipsch X10
13. Ortofon Q5
14. Sennheiser IE8
15. Fostex TH05
16. Monster Miles Davis Edition

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #4,884 of 8,131

4: Pioneer Monitor 10-II (mods in progress): ...these will never not be a bass cannon will they >____>

Tried velour ear pads?
Those are usually better at 'letting out the bass'.

From the VERY few drivers pics I could find of the Monitor 10, it looks like the driver has no rear-vents?
If it had vents, I would recommend over-damping them to kill the bass, but that doesn't seem possible.

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #4,885 of 8,131
1: Sansui SS-100 and Audez'e LCD-1: These two are tied for #1 place.  No, that's not a typo. The prototype of the LCD-2 with the super-duper 90's looking OEM chassis. They're about the same level overall, with the SS-100 being cleaner and more controlled sounding as well as more natural in frequency response, while the LCD-1 is slightly bright with a ridiculously tight, concise, fast sound. SS-100 has more detail and smoother mids. LCD-1 has a better soundstage and is much more comfortable.

2: Toshiba HR-810 (modified): Closed-in sounding compared to the two above, but other than that it has all of the merits of an electrostat along with bass that's comparable to planars and good dynamics. Not very comfortable. Extremely difficult to power.

3: Sony MDR-D77 Eggo: Extremely rare. These little things sound incredible. Easily just as fast and refined as all the above. Comfortable. Isolates well. Adorably tiny and foldable. Slightly thick/warm bass. Moderate "V" shaped FR curve. A bit less treble and these would be way higher.

4: Pioneer Monitor 10-II (mods in progress): ...these will never not be a bass cannon will they >____> I've done a lot of modifications to these and I've managed to vastly improve the soundstage and FR linearity, but what I can't seem to do is get the bass down to a reasonable level. I have a few more things I'm gonna do to them, including making new earpads, and if that doesn't work... well they're still an audiophile bass cannon. They are notably less refined than my other headphones as well.

5: KOSS PortaPro: Fallen out of use since the arrival of the Eggos. Best sub-$200 headphone ever if you can get past the enormous bass and awkward fit. Baby HD600 with syrup bass.

Nothing else sees use.

Lots of neat and vintage interesting stuff there. I can't comment on any of it other than I'd say the porrta pro might be the best sub 100 dollar phone rather than best sub 200. Nice gear you have.

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #4,886 of 8,131
4: Pioneer Monitor 10-II (mods in progress): ...these will never not be a bass cannon will they >____>

Tried velour ear pads?
Those are usually better at 'letting out the bass'.

From the VERY few drivers pics I could find of the Monitor 10, it looks like the driver has no rear-vents?
If it had vents, I would recommend over-damping them to kill the bass, but that doesn't seem possible.
It does have a rear vent, but there's so little room in the earcups that there's no room for damping. Well, there is, but it's about 2mm of clearance, and I found adding damping put too much strain on the enclosure for not enough gain.

I'm making a pair of angled hybrid velour/pleather earpads for these as we speak. If those don't work, I'm gonna leave them as they are and try a transplant with the second pair I just nabbed off the 'bay. Thinking of a custom painted Nady QH560 shell to complement the LCD-1.

Mar 22, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #4,887 of 8,131
I'm making a pair of angled hybrid velour/pleather earpads for these as we speak.

Cool, let us know how it turns out.

Actually might as well include an update since getting an HD540 last week.

1 - HE-500 (rear vent mod)
2 - T20RPII (Nickerfied make-up-pad mod)
3 - HD540 (tie) 
3 - DT990 (tie)
4 - Momentum
5 - K340
6 - GDHS-223
7 - SR80 (heavily modded)
8 - T10

(Should get a T20 this week for comparison with T10 and GDHS-223)

Mar 22, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #4,889 of 8,131
Updates after a few sales -

HE-6
D7000 Lawton mods, Q French silk cable, Stax pads
D2000 Lawton mods and pads/Bubinga cups
D5000 bone stock with Lawton pads
Sennheiser HD650
Sony Z7
Denon AH-A100 portable beast that has form factor of a Bose AE2 and is as light with really good bass
Denon D600
M Audio Q40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back