Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Feb 15, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #4,816 of 8,131
Rick
What did you like about the X2/27?

P.S. I wonder if anyone has done the stats on these results
(almost as mammoth a task as that kind chap who bought and reviewed that huge list of headphones)?

The X2s are my new go-to HPs for classical music. More open then my HD650s. At least to me. I actually preferred my HD598s for classical before the X2s came along.

It's very hard to do an accurate comparison of the X2s to my Sennheisers. The X2s are so much more efficient and require much less power.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my HD650s for other kinds of music, but for classical the X2s are just superb.

Feb 15, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #4,817 of 8,131
1: Sansui SS-100

2: Toshiba HR-810 (modded)

3: KOSS PortaPro (poor bass)

4: Pioneer Monitor 10-II (weird holes in FR)

5: Everything else (nothing else is even comparable)

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #4,818 of 8,131
  1: Sansui SS-100

2: Toshiba HR-810 (modded)

3: KOSS PortaPro (poor bass)

4: Pioneer Monitor 10-II (weird holes in FR)

5: Everything else (nothing else is even comparable)

PortaPro above the 10-II? I thought you loved that pair.

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #4,819 of 8,131
I wondered about that especially with 'poor bass' added in brackets !

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #4,820 of 8,131
Takato's rankings are often based on the 'honeymoon period' of a slow constantly flow of headphones.
Once you accept that his ranks change like the tides and the phases of the moon it becomes more interesting. 
wink.gif

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #4,822 of 8,131
some new entries here - including an MDAC to plug them into 

1) HD600 - still the king, loves the Audiolab
2) T70p - king of treble, and with my old musicians ears I need it. NOT for bass lovers
3) D2000 - the ying to the T70ps yang, yet not rolled off or dull, everyone who hears this loves this headphone
4) DT1350 - Its getting closer but this is still the king of the portables
5) ATH-ES10 (ESW11 pads) - just a little less bass and bit more above 10k would make these number 4
6) Vmoda XS - growing on me, super comfy and very portable, sonically related to the ES10
7) Momentum (blue) - not impressed on first listens, need some more tries, lacks treble.

Feb 16, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #4,823 of 8,131
  The X2s are my new go-to HPs for classical music. More open then my HD650s. At least to me. I actually preferred my HD598s for classical before the X2s came along.

It's very hard to do an accurate comparison of the X2s to my Sennheisers. The X2s are so much more efficient and require much less power.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my HD650s for other kinds of music, but for classical the X2s are just superb.

I don't like the HD598 for classical. Compared to the L2, they are noticeably less clear. 

Feb 16, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #4,824 of 8,131
I only own a few, because if they aren't great for me, I don't keep them.

1.  Sennheiser HD600.   Best of the bunch, Detail and soundstage galore.  Analytical yet relaxing at the same time.  no fatigue, best for hours and hours of listening.

2.  RHA M750-  My favorite IEM, with PFE tips.  Fantastic sub-bass,  smooth but detailed mid-range, extended treble but never harsh.  Needed he PFE tips, because I couldn't get any of the supplied tips to seal well.

3.  Audeo PFE - own several pairs of these, and lots of the filters and tips.  These were my only IEM for a long time.   I had tried some more expensive ones (by a factor of 3 or more) but didn't come across any that sounded this good.  The ability to tune the sound with the filters is a great idea.  Crystal clear, great soundstage, nice bass but need a slight boost to bring out the sub-bass.  Nearly indestructable.

4.  AT ATH-AD900X.   These were ny only full-size can for a long time.  with the pad and rubber band mod getting a good seal and enough clamping force, their bass is actually very good, extends into the sub-bass and is quick and detailed.  Mid-range detailed and a little cool.  The X version of these phones has less treble energy than the original, I find it very balanced, with no sibilance.  I don't find the soundstage on these to be as good as most people do.  Its the narrowest of the phones I own.

Phones I didn't keep:  AKG-K701 (I found these unlistenable, way too sibilant, poor bass, maybe I just don't have the right gear), AT M50x (good sound overall but just too uncomfortable and I couldn't see them getting enough ear time),  AT ATH-AD900 (great sound overall, but too sibilant, sold to buy the X version), HD580 (sold them, stupidly, after enjoying them for years, becasue I wasn't using headphones anymore),  Shure  IEM's up to the SE530 (none of them I found to be very good, all lacking in some way, usually in the treble department and just a poor value).  MEElec 151 and 161P - meh, they were OK, but nothing special so I moved them on.

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #4,825 of 8,131
Takato's rankings are often based on the 'honeymoon period' of a slow constantly flow of headphones.
Once you accept that his ranks change like the tides and the phases of the moon it becomes more interesting. 
wink.gif

blow me <3

But no, the 10-II has what appear to be irreparable linearity problems in the FR as well as some driver-bourne ringing. The portapro is cleaner, has a better soundstage, and possibly even better detail... for what it is, it's remarkably impressive, and that's why I ranked it so high. The 10-II has much nicer bass and sounds smoother and more relaxed, and also has better extension and power handing, but it can sound dull when compared to the other three. It's more of a taste thing, and right now I'm more focused on mids than bass.

Once I get the SE-450 from you, GREQ, I'm gonna try modding the 10-II again, but I'm pretty sure it's already at 100% in stock form. The only thing left to try would be a driver transplant... :x

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #4,826 of 8,131
1. HD 580 (with updated drivers)
2. DT 880 Edition (250 Ohm)
3. HD 650
4. HD 598
5. Ath m50
6. HD 662 F
7. HD 681 F
8. HD 681 Evo

The top 3 are all very close to one another and depending on my mood the ranks may change ^^

Feb 16, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #4,827 of 8,131
1. sennheiser hd 650
2. audeze lcd-2
3. audio technica ath m50
4. sony xb 500

don't know why, but I prefer the sound of my hd 650s to my lcd-2s

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #4,829 of 8,131
Originally Posted by ssrock64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

PortaPro above the 10-II? I thought you loved that pair.

I wondered about that especially with 'poor bass' added in brackets !

Also, FYI: this shouldn't reflect negatively on the other headphones, but instead very positively on the PortaPro. These little things are good. I'd take these over several headphones many times their price. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back