Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Oct 11, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #4,576 of 8,134
  You are truly humble sir :)
i'm sure your gear is far more superior than mine :)

Haha I'm a student supremus so no way mine is superior to yours 
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #4,577 of 8,134
I've recently sold six sets of headphones; time to update my list.

Grado RS1i (I bought the 1e, after careful listening returned it and kept my 1i)

AKG K712

Beyer DT880 Pro 250

Sennheiser HD650 (w/silver cable upgrade)

Sony MDR-Z1000

Thinksound On1 (w/ Audioquest cable)

Beyer T51p

Oct 12, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #4,580 of 8,134
Here is my list based on combined factors of price/performance/head-time/"enjoyment" , basically my subjective overall "rating". The higher on the list, the more I would recommend those :)

- Home use higher-end

1. Audeze LCD2.2 (Microsuede Pads, Rosewood, Non-Fazor) - These headphones fricking rock !!! It just does everything right, bass is extraordinary, mids are crispy clear and mainly treble is just right where I wanted it to be + everything has so much energy to it. Even for crazy retail 1145$ these are serious high-end headphones I would recommend to try out. Oh and I forgot to mention they actually look and feel like high-end as for build quiality. Keepers without second guess !
ps: It just blew my mind when I found out I can actually hear "tongue movement... for lack of better description" of female singer when she takes a breath to sing. (Parov Stelar - With You)
basically huge hole here ....
2. Sennheiser HD650 - Just legendary headphones, superb for the price if someone prefers dark cans
3. Sennheiser HD700 - Fast paced cans with quite a lot of treble, I did enjoy them for long time, but there are serious issues with some bright recordings
4. Beyerdynamic T1 - Had quite mixed emotions about T1's, expected much more for the price. My main issue was treble with these.

- Home use rest

1. Grado SR225i - Got these for 120$ or so, would recommend to anyone looking for "cheap & fun" set of cans, overall great with awesome punch on bass.
2. Shure SRH940 - Also another "cheap" at least here in CZ set of great closed cans, would definitely recommend to someone who can't use open cans.
3. HiFiMAN HE-400 - I couldn't handle the treble spike on these, but have exceptional bass for the price.
4. AKG K701 - Even with good amping, K701's just sound lifeless to me.

- Portables

1. AKG K314P - Have been using them for about 2 years, superb for 10$ :D
2. Creative Aurana Live! - Some ppl enjoy these but, they sound really, really dark to me. Bass-head cans.
3. KOSS Porta Pro 25th Annies - Well known cans, wasn't much of a fan myself, sound overly dark and boomy to me even tho they are semi-open.

Oct 12, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #4,583 of 8,134
  ps: It just blew my mind when I found out I can actually hear "tongue movement... for lack of better description" of female singer when she takes a breath to sing. (Parov Stelar - With You)

Not to bust your balls, but I hear that tongue movement on a pair of Sennheiser HD202's plugged into a laptop. :p

Oct 12, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #4,584 of 8,134

Not to bust your balls, but I hear that tongue movement on a pair of Sennheiser HD202's plugged into a laptop. :p

Haha, ye, just testing K712 and it's more the song than just LCD 2's :) but they are still best headphones I heard so far.

Oct 13, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #4,586 of 8,134
Here is my list based on combined factors of price/performance/head-time/"enjoyment" , basically my subjective overall "rating". The higher on the list, the more I would recommend those :)

- Home use higher-end

1. Audeze LCD2.2 (Microsuede Pads, Rosewood) - These headphones fricking rock !!! It just does everything right, bass is extraordinary, mids are crispy clear and mainly treble is just right where I wanted it to be + everything has so much energy to it. Even for crazy retail 1145$ these are serious high-end headphones I would recommend to try out. Oh and I forgot to mention they actually look and feel like high-end as for build quiality. Keepers without second guess !
basically huge hole here ....
2. Sennheiser HD650 - Just legendary headphones, superb for the price if someone prefers dark cans
3. Sennheiser HD700 - Fast paced cans with quite a lot of treble, I did enjoy them for long time, but there are serious issues with some bright recordings
4. Beyerdynamic T1 - Had quite mixed emotions about T1's, expected much more for the price. My main issue was treble with these.

- Home use rest

1. Grado SR225i - Got these for 120$ or so, would recommend to anyone looking for "cheap & fun" set of cans, overall great with awesome punch on bass.
2. Shure SRH940 - Also another "cheap" at least here in CZ set of great closed cans, would definitely recommend to someone who can't use open cans.
3. HiFiMAN HE-400 - I couldn't handle the treble spike on these, but have exceptional bass for the price.
4. AKG K701 - Even with good amping, K701's just sound lifeless to me.

- Portables

1. AKG K314P - Have been using them for about 2 years, superb for 10$ :D
2. Creative Aurana Live! - Some ppl enjoy these but, they sound really, really dark to me. Bass-head cans.
3. KOSS Porta Pro 25th Annies - Well known cans, wasn't much of a fan myself, sound overly dark and boomy to me even tho they are semi-open.
Sounds like you prefer dark sounding headphones. You like iems? I wonder what you prefer in the IEM world. I can see you liking ie80, 846, roxanne especially.

Oct 13, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #4,587 of 8,134
Sounds like you prefer dark sounding headphones. You like iems? I wonder what you prefer in the IEM world. I can see you liking ie80, 846, roxanne especially.

Don't have any experience with "IEM", aside from iPhone in-ears and K314P, but ordered the Ostry KC06a since K314P are sort of finished.

By roxanne you mean http://www.jhaudio.com/content/sirens-roxanne ?

Oct 13, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #4,588 of 8,134
Don't have any experience with "IEM", aside from iPhone in-ears and K314P, but ordered the Ostry KC06a since K314P are sort of finished.

By roxanne you mean http://www.jhaudio.com/content/sirens-roxanne ?
Yes. Only because you love your lcd 2.2 and 650. Which I own. If you ever crave what you have in a headphone in in-ears, the roxanne would suit you nicely.

Oct 13, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #4,589 of 8,134
Wow, thanks for tip. I'am just not sure when will I get extra 1650$ for in ears, that's pretty big price tag. Are they really that good ?

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #4,590 of 8,134
  Wow, thanks for tip. I'am just not sure when will I get extra 1650$ for in ears, that's pretty big price tag. Are they really that good ?

They are great. I was talking about the universal version though. YMMV on customs vs universals. Universal cost about 300-400 less than the custom. Both are great. It's getting great reviews overall, minus the drama from last year's black friday fiasco. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back