4) All my non-Sennheiser cheapy stuff, like the Awei ES900i

I feel like a fanboy now..
redface.gif

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #4,518 of 8,134
  Sound:

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250
AKG K712Pro

um...

FWIW - All cans were pushed by a Bifrost/Lyr Schiit stack with some 1976 rockets for tubes.

oh, well that explains that

you should get a better amp for the AKGs, probably an objective2 or something, the Lyr is going to pair like utter ass with the K712

Sep 6, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #4,519 of 8,134
  um...

oh, well that explains that

you should get a better amp for the AKGs, probably an objective2 or something, the Lyr is going to pair like utter ass with the K712

That or tube roll to tubes that pair well with the AKGs. My Lyr 2 was disappointing on the K712 with the stock tubes, tube rolling and socket savers made a world of difference for the K712, especially in terms of soundstage, depth, cleanness, smoothness, imaging, bass tightness, bass precision, and bass imaging.

1.) AKG K712 Pro
2.) Beyerdynamic DT 150
3.) Fostex T50RP

?.) AKG K612 Pro(haven't listened to it on the Lyr 2 yet as it's being borrowed)

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #4,520 of 8,134
  That lag you speak of is vastly improved with better amping in my experience. They (LCD-3s) are very quick (and quicker than the LCD-2s) when you have an amp with 2 W minimum into 50 ohms. The advantage of the LCD-2s is that they still sound great with lesser upfront gear.

I agree with MacedonianHero.  

Both the LCD2 and LCD3 are not difficult to drive--they have purely resistive impedance, if memory serves--but they do require some power to really get going.  But when properly amped, the LCD3 clearly outperforms the LCD2.  Perhaps as Zoom25 stated, the LCD3 did not sound its best with the BHA-1 or Soloist, but I found that I was able to drive both the LCD2 and the LCD3 quite well with two affordable amps, the Vioelectric V200 and the Schiit Mjolnir (for more sparkle). Even with these relatively modest amps, the LCD3 clearly outperforms the LCD2.

I also found that I do not necessarily need speaker amps to drive the LCD3:  both the Bakoon HPA-21 and the HeadAmp GS-X Mk2, at just below $3,000, can easily display the LCD3 superlative sound and its superiority to the LCD2. Compared to the HD800 or the TH-900, however, both LCDs still sound a little slow, like two elephants unhurriedly heading toward a water hole. But I must admit there is a certain majesty to this ponderous sound that I quite like.

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #4,521 of 8,134
There is no argument about the LCD-3 outperforming LCD-2 in every audible way, almost on all setups. On the same side of the coin, the LCD-2 outslammed the LCD-3 on almost all setups. 
tongue.gif

Sep 7, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #4,524 of 8,134
1) Senn HD800
2) Beyer T5p
3) JH16 Pro
4) Beyer DT1350
5) Beats Studio Wireless
6) Westone W3
7) Shure SE215LTD

As far as overall head-time is concerned: 

1) JH16 Pro - Use these daily during commute and before bed
2) Beyer T5p - My daily go-to can when on my desktop (music, movies, etc)
3) Westone W3 - Used daily for the gym

4) Beats Studio Wireless - Just picked these up, but love the wireless freedom, built-in mic for calls, and comfort. 

Sep 7, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #4,525 of 8,134
  1: Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs.  I've had these for years and done a couple of mods, and they're still my all-around favorite for sound.  Very balanced sound.  Closed, decent isolation, excellent comfort.  Good for every genre of music.  Not the strongest sound stage, but an overall miracle for the price ($50 from Amazon).  The construction of these is unbelievable and they're a modder's dream.  Easy to take apart, every part made for field service, terminal blocks instead of soldering.  I still can't believe that someone decided to mass produce something like this, but they're my favorite to experiment with as it's easy to undo changes. 

2: Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250.  Outstanding comfort, wide sound stage, crisp highs.  A good bit more expensive than the stuff that I usually pick up out of curiosity, and certainly very nice.  Very light, requires a bit of power to drive properly, but lovely when done right.  Like #1, I love these for all types of music.  Leaks a lot of sound in and out, so a quiet room is required.  The coolness and comfort of these much more strongly lends itself to long listening sessions.  Sound and comfort would probably put it #1, but the isolation and versatility of the AT keep it ahead for the time being.  If this is what ~$150 buys, I'd love to experience $1,000 cans.

3: Koss Pro4AA (1973).  My preferred can for listening to rap.  Very powerful bass that reaches just as low as #1&2, less treble and mids.  Isolates like no other, and doesn't leak sound, either.  When fed lots of power, can play almost impossibly loud without distortion.  Hot and uncomfortable, but just really sounds incredible when I'm listening to rap.  Great for classic rock as well.

4: Superlux HD681.  The only one out of this group that can be driven to really satisfying volume by my iPhone 4s.  They're less comfortable than #1&2, but more than 3.  Open enough to feel safe to use outside without missing something dangerous.  Superb for the price, but I think that I find their response peculiarities less offensive than some people.  Tyll's review of these was much more critical than I would be.  These were the gateway drug that led to the DT990 purchase, and do have a similar sound with less comfort.  In spite of the weaknesses, I'd consider them probably the best you can get for $35.

It might be a sacrilege around here, but I've modified all 4 to accept cables with 3.5mm ends so that they can be used as headsets on the phone.  While not perfect for critical listening, I have to realistically accept that it's convenient to listen that way and so I adapted the headphones to that.  I can still use a heavier cable at home when it's possible with stronger sources.

List of what's next on my list to try (and I'm open to suggestions, especially under the $100 mark):
AKG Q/K701
Beyerdynamic DT770
Pioneer SE-A1000
Noontec Zoro HD
Grado SR80e

You should definitely check out (sme much less than $100):

Koss KSC75
Koss PortaPro
Yamaha HPH200 (if you can find a pair)
Superlux evo series
Zero Audio Carbo Tenore (if you can still get them)

All those headphones kick ass one way or another and I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with them.  Happy listening!

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #4,527 of 8,134
I love all my headphones, so order is very subtle for the first six or seven:

Sennheiser 598
Beyerdynamic DT-770
Beyerdynamic DT-990
Beyerdynamic DT-880
KEF M500
Shure 840
Sony V6
Harman Kardon NC
Sennheiser CX980
Sennheiser RS170
Klipsch Image One
Bose OE2
Bose MIE2
Harman Kardon NI
Apple iPhone 5 stock earbuds
JBL 55

Run most of these through E17 or Musical Fidelity V-Can or Asgard II. Sources are Oppo 103, Pioneer Elite SC-75, Project Debut Carbon, iDevices,and laptop.

Sep 11, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #4,528 of 8,134
I love all my headphones, so order is very subtle for the first six or seven:

Sennheiser 598
Beyerdynamic DT-770
Beyerdynamic DT-990
Beyerdynamic DT-880
KEF M500
Shure 840
Sony V6
Harman Kardon NC
Sennheiser CX980
Sennheiser RS170
Klipsch Image One
Bose OE2
Bose MIE2
Harman Kardon NI
Apple iPhone 5 stock earbuds
JBL 55

Run most of these through E17 or Musical Fidelity V-Can or Asgard II. Sources are Oppo 103, Pioneer Elite SC-75, Project Debut Carbon, iDevices,and laptop.

Nice to see the 598s at the top of that list :)

Sep 11, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #4,529 of 8,134
1) BOSE SIE2
2) Sony MDR-XB500
3) JVC HA-FX101-R
4) SOUNDMAGIC E10

These 4 (3 in ear and 1 over) are bassy headphones because i call me a basshead and i love to ear them
biggrin.gif

I'm waiting only to increase my budget to buy the SONY MDR-XB1000, until then i prefer, love and use everywhere the BOSE SIE2, they are my favourite IEM for their bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back