Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Jan 28, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #3,691 of 8,134
As usage goes:
1. Sony MDR-V6 (portables at school, really pleasant and derailed sound, works well just off my GS4)
2. Grado SR-80i Modded (best sound off all, but limited to quiet indoor usage)
3. Klipsch X10 (really smooth clean sound, recently my ears seem to be rejecting having them inserted, they used to be INCREDIBLY comfortable)

Jan 28, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #3,692 of 8,134
Well I currently own 4 but I will list 5 headphones in my list since I owned it for a long time and just this weekend I gave it away to a family member who needs some head-fi introduction/education. 
biggrin.gif

1. Beyerdynamic T5p - amazing, perfect for my closed-headphone needs. Very detailed, warm, good imaging, great soundstage for a closed headphone (the depth is fantastic, all orchestral layers and textures clearly positioned, incredible with well recorded baroque music).
2. Audio-Technica  ATH-W5000 - used to be my favorites, but they lack detail and transparency next to the T5p. Voices are good but bass is very weak. 
3. Sennheiser HD650 - not suitable for me (for now) because of its open back, but also a little too neutral for my taste. 
4. PSB  M4U2 - noise cancelling, I needed one of this type for specific situations and they are really good for a NC headphone.
5. Sennheiser HD380 Pro - My first non-Bose non-Sony not-too-cheap pair of headphones, opened my ear to better things but now I find it quite dry, though well detailed. I gave them away to a young relative who likes music and needed some headphones to save him from Beats-hell... 

Future projects:
Closed cans: none really, I don't expect any closed-can to perform significantly better then the T5ps to justify the purchase. 
Open cans: HD800, LCD-3 or, ideally, a Stax electrostatic. Though I would like to try to get at least the SR-007MK2, since I know the 009 will be pretty much a pipe dream. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #3,693 of 8,134
Based on how much I enjoy listening to each headphone including comfort, portability, ease of use, and sound.

1.) Sennheiser HD 558 (custom pads)
2.) ATH-M50 (shure 940 pads)
3.) UE-6000
4.) Sony XBA-1

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #3,694 of 8,134
1.) Audeze LCD 2.2 (The best headphones I've listened to so far, a lot more comfortable to wear than the HE-500s in my opinion)
2.) HiFiMAN HE-500 (They are right up there with the LCD 2.2s, I haven't really managed to make a fair comparison yet because of imbalance (they are in for service, they will most likely change both drivers)
3.) BeyerDynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm (I used these for 2 - 3 years before I finally went all in on the HE-500s, really, really comfortable and great for gaming. They are decent for music, good for bassheads, but I can't even compare these to the LCD 2.2s in terms on sound quality)
4.) BeyerDynamic DT 250 80 Ohm (Used these before I got the 990s, lasted me a year and was great for the price, I got them used from a friend, but I am not really a fan of fully closed headphones)

I used to have the Fostex TH-600s, sent them back, too bright for me. Bass was great though, nothing like the deep Audeze bass though.. (I currently have my eyes on a couple of fully modded D7000s that I might get.)

I also owned the AKG Q701, a bit bright, weak bass but they had great detail, sold them after a month of use.

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #3,695 of 8,134
  1.) Audeze LCD 2.2 (The best headphones I've listened to so far, a lot more comfortable to wear than the HE-500s in my opinion)
2.) HiFiMAN HE-500 (They are right up there with the LCD 2.2s, I haven't really managed to make a fair comparison yet because of imbalance (they are in for service, they will most likely change both drivers)
3.) BeyerDynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm (I used these for 2 - 3 years before I finally went all in on the HE-500s, really, really comfortable and great for gaming. They are decent for music, good for bassheads, but I can't even compare these to the LCD 2.2s in terms on sound quality)
4.) BeyerDynamic DT 250 80 Ohm (Used these before I got the 990s, lasted me a year and was great for the price, I got them used from a friend, but I am not really a fan of fully closed headphones)

I used to have the Fostex TH-600s, sent them back, too bright for me. Bass was great though, nothing like the deep Audeze bass though.. (I currently have my eyes on a couple of fully modded D7000s that I might get.)

I also owned the AKG Q701, a bit bright, weak bass but they had great detail, sold them after a month of use.

Uh what? The TH600 isn't bright... quite the inverse imo. It does have some splash up top though. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #3,696 of 8,134
1.) AKG K612 PRO: Linear, natural, and very musical sounding. A lot of detail, revealing, transparent, and very accurate imaging and soundstage. Great extension in both extremities. Surprising sub-bass for an open-back dynamic. Very dynamic and has a lot of physicality and body to it's sound with the right system. It's quite demanding and picky.

2.) Sennheiser HD 380 Pro: A bit on the warm and forgiving side, good detail, and good comfort after some breaking in. A strangely enjoyable sound with the right system. Has a reverb to the sound and can sound excessively closed-in on some systems.

3.) AKG K240 MKII: One of the most addicting sounding headphones I have heard, surprising clarity and detail for it's price, but has one major flaw that takes away from it's enjoyability; a massive treble spike that causes sibilance to go crazy.

4.) Sennheiser PX-100 ii: Dark and bassy with a somewhat musical sound, surprisingly good for an on-ear. Does lack some refinement and detail and has a slight veil over the sound. Great for portable use.

5.) Sennheiser HD 555 modded: My first open-back headphone, it's always been a mixed bag for me. It's always been fairly neutral, but lacks refinement, clarity, and detail. It's also quite veiled sounding. It's very dull and very boring, a bit of a snooze-fest.

6.) Sansui SS-2: Was a curiosity into trying vintage headphones, extremely addicting midrange, has quite good imaging and soundstage, but the bass is severely lacking and the highs are not the most detailed but are pleasant. With brainwavz hm5 pads one of the most comfortable headphones I own.

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #3,698 of 8,134

Same thoughts...until I removed the little sticker on the bass port. Difference was night/day.

Doing this kills the Q's neutrality and I advise against it. If something sounds bright with the Qs, it's mixed bright. It's not the headphone.

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #3,699 of 8,134
1.) Beyerdynamic T1
2.) AKG K712
3.) Apple Earpods (jk)

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #3,700 of 8,134
Doing this kills the Q's neutrality and I advise against it. If something sounds bright with the Qs, it's mixed bright. It's not the headphone.

I agree. A neutral headphone should sound dark, neutral, or bright depending on the actual recording, system, etc. Although that's not what everyone wants. I do think the Q701 is a tad on the bright and lean side imo but overall quite neutral, it's not as neutral and accurate as the K612 though imo.

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #3,702 of 8,134
  Uh what? The TH600 isn't bright... quite the inverse imo. It does have some splash up top though. 

It was piercing to my ears.. Used them for tops 10 hours before I sent them back. I thought trying to settle them in might have helped, but it didn't.
They just didn't work for me :)

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #3,703 of 8,134
1. HE-6
2. LCD3
3. HD800
4. TH600
5. Alpha Dog
6. Heir 4.ai

Jan 29, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #3,704 of 8,134

Neutral ~ Lacking low end?

Cause stock the Q701 have very anemic bass. I kept it for its strength as a gaming headphone in online shooters. But I probably hadn't listened to any music on it in a year. I have spent hours upon hours enjoying it as a music headphone after the mod. Not to mention how much better explosions sound in BF4. Neutral or not, the mod was a MAJOR improvement for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back