Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Jan 12, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #5,672 of 8,138
From best to worse, in terms of pure listening satisfaction:

• HD650M - obviously. Head-mounted musical pleasure.
  • Unique Melody Martian - hugely underrated IEMs. Fast, neutral and extremely comfortable, with great bass extension.
  • HD800SDR - needs a bit of Sonarworks, and the tuning is still too weird for classical strings, but they're the elephant in the room. Takes EQ much better than the HD800S.
  • HD-25 - indestructable old location audio workhorse, comfortable, tons of isolation, much loved. Responds well to Sonarworks, too.
  • HE-560 - fast as hell, but weird scooped-out tuning, partially fixable with some measurement and EQing.
  • SE535 - slightly slow-sounding, not good at attacks or microdynamics, rolled-off treble.. typical Shure BA IEM, in other words. Best as a "relaxed" listen when you're stressed
  • SE215 - sounds like muffled crap directly out of a phone, still bad with bags of EQ. OK out of a portable amp though. Weirdly tolerable through the Mojo.
  • QC25 - they're Bose, so they sound like death, but they're comfy as hell, and the ANC works well. Vital for removing low frequency rumble in air travel.

..there are more, but I really can't be doing with thinking about them right now. Those are the ones that get the most headtime. Sorry there are no Audeze or Mr. Speakers there, but I never found any with good enough tuning to justify the pricetag.

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #5,673 of 8,138
Hello All,
I just found this thread, so will be reading back to gain knowledge from your experience. I am looking forward to it!

Best -
RCB

Jan 13, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #5,676 of 8,138
AKG K7XX
SE-215
M50X

The K7 is hands down the best value of the 3.  Thinking of selling the M50s and getting the AKG K553 Pro or thinksound On2.

Jan 14, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #5,679 of 8,138
1) 1More Tripple Driver (Best)
2) JBL Reflect Mini
3) KZ-ATE
4) Xiaomi Hybrid
5) Tennmak Pro (Worst)

Listing is my own opinion. User experience is different for everybody.
And a little question here, Is Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 80 ohm and Fiio Q1 a good combination?
I own Q1 but willing to buy dt-770.

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #5,680 of 8,138
1.) Beyerdynamic DT 480 - 25 ohm(new addition to my headphone stable but holy crap is this thing transparent, grain-free, and clear. And that midrange, makes everything else sound wrong after spending time with it. Hyper sensitive to the system though)
2.) Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro(very close second, this will likely swap places between first and second a lot, my favorite modern dynamic headphone under $1000, amazing all-rounder and very addicting sound)
3.) Audioquest Nighthawk(great headphone, takes a more old-school approach to tuning, a bit heavy in the bass on my system, need to try the new pads out on these)
4.) Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro(I like these almost as much as the Nighthawks, very similar to the DT 1990 in many ways but some slight tuning issues and shallow pads puts them slightly below)

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #5,681 of 8,138
  1.) Beyerdynamic DT 480 - 25 ohm(new addition to my headphone stable but holy crap is this thing transparent, grain-free, and clear. And that midrange, makes everything else sound wrong after spending time with it. Hyper sensitive to the system though)
2.) Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro(my favorite modern dynamic headphone under $1000, amazing all-rounder and very addicting sound)
3.) Audioquest Nighthawk(great headphone, takes a more old-school approach to tuning, a bit heavy in the bass on my system, need to try the new pads out on these)
4.) Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro(I like these almost as much as the Nighthawks, very similar to the DT 1990 in many ways but some slight tuning issues and shallow pads puts them slightly below)

for a second i thought you meant dt48

is the 480 closer to dt100 or the dt150?

I use dt100 for acapella only, it doesn't seem to play music well , but its super clear vocals and kills system noise like nothing i have experienced.

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #5,682 of 8,138
2.) Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro(my favorite modern dynamic headphone under $1000, amazing all-rounder and very addicting sound)

I own the 1990 and love the sound but sometimes miss the bass of my 770. Would you recommend to try the 1770 or the Nighthawk?

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #5,683 of 8,138

for a second i thought you meant dt48

is the 480 closer to dt100 or the dt150?

I use dt100 for acapella only, it doesn't seem to play music well , but its super clear vocals and kills system noise like nothing i have experienced.

It's closer to the DT 48 than either the DT 100 or DT 150, uses the same drivers as the DT 48. Bass highly depends on the system, can absolutely suck or be quite good. Also deeper pads help with the bass. I would say it's a bit of a mix of the DT 48 and DT 150 sound wise with deeper pads and well driven, it's a very musical headphone.

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #5,685 of 8,138
  It's closer to the DT 48 than either the DT 100 or DT 150, uses the same drivers as the DT 48. Bass highly depends on the system, can absolutely suck or be quite good. Also deeper pads help with the bass. I would say it's a bit of a mix of the DT 48 and DT 150 sound wise with deeper pads and well driven, it's a very musical headphone.

I've seen the dt150 with alpha pads, but not sure how they would be on the dt480. It would make them deeper for sure. The dt100 pads more shallow than dt150. But i had no idea they share same drivers as the dt48. People seem to regard that can highly, but not fortunate enough to hear it yet.

But if i come across a dt480, i will not see it the same now with this info

thx

happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back