Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Oct 18, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #2,372 of 8,138
Quote:

As if it was a sin. If you got some fun with the beats, there's no point in denying it; even if you got better headphone after.

As much as fun as I can have in a week before they got stolen, yeah. 
tongue.gif

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #2,373 of 8,138
I consider myself a mid-level basshead. This is based on my headphone preference and the fact that I don't use EQ or bass boost amps. My current stable after many purchases and sales:

1.) Denon AH-D5000 (Home)
2.) ATH-M50 (Travel)
3.) Creative Aurvana Live! w/ Mogami Re-cable (Home #2)
4.) ATH-ES7 (Commute)
5.) ATH-AD700 w/ Boom Mic Mod (Gaming)
6.) Panasonic RP-HTF600 (Work)

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #2,374 of 8,138
Quote:
I consider myself a mid-level basshead. This is based on my headphone preference and the fact that I don't use EQ or bass boost amps. My current stable after many purchases and sales:

1.) Denon AH-D5000 (Home)
2.) ATH-M50 (Travel)
3.) Creative Aurvana Live! w/ Mogami Re-cable (Home #2)
4.) ATH-ES7 (Commute)
5.) ATH-AD700 w/ Boom Mic Mod (Gaming)
6.) Panasonic RP-HTF600 (Work)

You really never EQ the 30-60hz band at all? It's not like they need it but they sure can handle it. Of course it depends on the music too.

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #2,377 of 8,138
Quote:

Yea, I pretty much leave all bands flat no matter what source or headphone I am using. Maybe I'm just a light basshead. 
wink.gif

Actually you're a purist, prefering to listen to unaltered audio rather than apply any sort of processing. It's not directly related to being a basshead :)

I personally much prefer to run an EQ, resampler, binaural and noise sharpening DSPs, as to correct hardware flaws (that every single piece of hardware has) or for fun listening sessions.

Oct 19, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #2,380 of 8,138
1) Sony MDR-7506 (portable): I love the sound of these through everything. Enough bass to pacify my Benga love and Clarity for Ahmad Jamal
2) AKG K172 HD (home): Exclusively for jazz and bass light music because I use my...
...2.5) Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80 (home): For my bass music.
3) Audio Technica M10 (Practice Scratch): This set lives solely with my mixer and turntable so i can practice scratching without annoying neighbors or roommates.

Oct 19, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #2,382 of 8,138
Quote:
5. Beyerdynamic Dt 250 (technically brilliant.....but so boring)

Haha, quite true. I found the 80 ohm more fun, but after I got the 250 ohm version to compare the rolled off treble of the 80 started to bug me and the lesser bass in the 250 ohm version couldn't really satisfy me. 

1.ATH-W1000X (some gaps in treble missing - a bit too coloured sometimes)
2.AH-D2000 (treble a bit harsh sometimes so I can't listen to them for too long)

3.Koss Porta Pro (not technically the best, but they're very easy to just pick up and use)

Those are all the all the headphones that I really care about at the moment. Unfortunately I can't really recommend any of them (besides the Porta Pros. Their cable is a weakness, but the edition with the cloth cable might fare better in that regard) and I'm still looking for the perfect headphones for me.

Based on my experiences, I'd probably try buy a AH-D7000 (2012 model) which I believe is supposed to be less harsh. Either that or a Fostex TH-900, but that costs more than double of anything that I currently own.

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #2,383 of 8,138
Beyer DT1350 - Tonally stunning, most neutral headphone I've heard so far, insanely short decay, it can handle any amount of splashy midrange pads and synths and keeps them all under control.  Very revealing of source, but rewards you when you have it.  One of the only headphones I listen to anymore, actually; it spoiled colored cans for me forever and started my love of linearity.  Not the biggest presentation, which leads to my second pair, but it's big enough for portable use, and the seal you get with these is phenomenal.  There's too much for me to gush over here; every section, the DT1350 excels at, bar the aforementioned soundstage/width.

Pioneer SE-700 - I want to hear these amped with an E9/Lyr before replacing them; they take SO much power.  Think a DT1350 with a much larger presentation, but missing the bass and a little of the treble on the very top.  Even though it's rolled off, these are very linear inbetween, which I admire, and their presentation is larger, so I use them as a full size alternative to the DT1350s at home.  Probably going to replace this spot with the K701 soon.

Grado RS2i - A genre headphone, but it does it nicely, although the nasal quality of the mids keeps me from listening to them all that often, I really have a fetish for neutral/linear tonalities >_<

Stanton Dynaphase Sixty - An interesting one, it's more for fun and bass than anything, it has quite awful decay, exhibiting the standard splashy mids/bloom that 70s cans are known for, but it has a stupid capacity of volume and bass, and a nice tonality when the vents are sealed, kind of like an M50 that doesn't suck.  Also they're gorgeous, but massive, yet comfortable.

Everything Else - I just don't listen to anything else >_>

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #2,385 of 8,138
in order of preference re pure sound quality only

hd-600
d2000
t-50p
es7
sr60
es55
270 playback
hd228 modded
px200