Questyle QP2R
Jun 10, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #106 of 1,225
Ahh thank you, it wasn't immediately obvious the 2 uses USB-C, especially as the product page makes no mention of it. I hope this will make charging a lot less frustrating.

Yes, the USB C port is no longer recessed as the micro USB port was in the QP1R, so now any standard USB C cable will work for this.

Jun 12, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #107 of 1,225
Off-Topic Posts Deleted.
Remember this is a thread dedicated to the Questyle QP2R, not a general "recommendations" thread.

Jun 12, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #108 of 1,225
The physical size of the QP2R is the same as the QP1R, so much so I just slipped the QP2R into the case I used for my QP1R. The screen is bigger on the QP2R over the QP1R. The QP2R is also able to play DSD .iso files!

It is down to a single SD slot but this was a direct result of implementing the fully balanced amp inside the DAP. There is so much in the QP2R for an amp and a bump in the battery that there wasn't enough room left for a second SD card slot.
?????????????

Seriously, If you're aiming at the high-end market, such compromise is just weird.
It's just iBasso DX200 all over again.

If you remove a memory slot, please at least make it up by providing at least 128Gb, and most preferably 256Gb of internal ram, even it does increase the pricetag.
64Gb + 1 slot = average smartphone capacity, and definitely not the specs of a high-res/high-end 2017 DAP.

Hi-res music takes more and more space, and DAP capacity hasn't progressed one bit in the last 3 years, when smartphones capacity definitely has increased.
No wonder most people use their phones for music nowadays...

Jun 12, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #109 of 1,225
?????????????

Seriously, If you're aiming at the high-end market, such compromise is just weird.
It's just iBasso DX200 all over again.

If you remove a memory slot, please at least make it up by providing at least 128Gb, and most preferably 256Gb of internal ram, even it does increase the pricetag.
64Gb + 1 slot = average smartphone capacity, and definitely not the specs of a high-res/high-end 2017 DAP.

Hi-res music takes more and more space, and DAP capacity hasn't progressed one bit in the last 3 years, when smartphones capacity definitely has increased.
No wonder most people use their phones for music nowadays...

Smartphones sound quality did improve in the last 3 years and you have a convenience of app support and streaming. DAPs need to differentiate itself with a superior sound quality and higher output power to drive demanding headphones, which I believe QP2R is aiming to achieve. But, I do agree, more people today want to carry their entire music library on a DAP and when you start factoring is hi-res/DSD files - you can quickly run out of space with 64GB+256GB uSD, and no access to streaming.

Jun 13, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #110 of 1,225
Perhaps a better way to put it is that the Kann sounded too smooth (not enough sparkle) to my ears , YMMV of course.
Despite the 1 card slot I'm very much looking forward to the QP2R .
if the kann sounds cold then I am surprised as to me it sounds very musical. and I owned quite a few totl daps

Jun 13, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #111 of 1,225
i wonder if qp2r has a good eq, as the eq in qp1r had issues with some bit rates. I hope someone can confirm the eq works with at least 192/24 bit files as to me eq is really important, as there were serious limitations of eq in qp1r

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #112 of 1,225
Smartphones sound quality did improve in the last 3 years and you have a convenience of app support and streaming. DAPs need to differentiate itself with a superior sound quality and higher output power to drive demanding headphones, which I believe QP2R is aiming to achieve. But, I do agree, more people today want to carry their entire music library on a DAP and when you start factoring is hi-res/DSD files - you can quickly run out of space with 64GB+256GB uSD, and no access to streaming.
I think and after owning so many daps, that really phones like iphone 7 plus sound dam amazing especially on the go where very critical listening is not applicable
But again we all love new toys and there is still interest in new daps that will come out.
Now that smartphones are sounding better than before this will give an incentive for dap maker to go extra miles to create a marginal difference between daps and smartphones

of course this is only applicable to iems, as for planar headphones until now I did not hear one dap that drives my lcd2 like for example a dap like fiio x5iii that is stacked with alo mk3B amp. The difference is very huge between a single dap than a dap hooked to an amp

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #113 of 1,225
if the kann sounds cold then I am surprised as to me it sounds very musical. and I owned quite a few totl daps
...just to prove once more we all hear things differently. I wanted the Kann initially for it's looks and storage capacity but the general SQ made me turn to the opus#1 as back up device .
I really hope that the QP2R will be available at CanJam London for a proper audition .

Jun 14, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #114 of 1,225
Had a QP2R demo unit for the last week, and I have to say that from (admittedly shaky) audio memory, I slightly prefer the sound from the 3.5mm jack over the QP1R I owned for about a month a good few months back. Great dynamics and musicality - I don't have any particularly demanding gear, but it absolutely loves the Andromeda on low gain/high bias. Hisses a bit with the Zeus-XR, but from my limited time with them (got them this week) that send to be par for the course.

UI is smooth if a little basic, and the scroll wheel actually works, and works well, which is something the QP1R I had never managed.

Don't have any other high end DAPs to compare against at the moment, but as I have to have it back to the UK distributor at Canjam London, hoping I can get a few side by side comparisons in before it goes home.

Will try and get some proper impressions up once I have a few weeks solid listening in the bag before Canjam.
IMG_20170612_220057434.jpg

Jun 14, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #115 of 1,225
Had a QP2R demo unit for the last week, and I have to say that from (admittedly shaky) audio memory, I slightly prefer the sound from the 3.5mm jack over the QP1R I owned for about a month a good few months back. Great dynamics and musicality - I don't have any particularly demanding gear, but it absolutely loves the Andromeda on low gain/high bias. Hisses a bit with the Zeus-XR, but from my limited time with them (got them this week) that send to be par for the course.

UI is smooth if a little basic, and the scroll wheel actually works, and works well, which is something the QP1R I had never managed.

Don't have any other high end DAPs to compare against at the moment, but as I have to have it back to the UK distributor at Canjam London, hoping I can get a few side by side comparisons in before it goes home.

Will try and get some proper impressions up once I have a few weeks solid listening in the bag before Canjam.
Empire ad?

Jun 14, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #116 of 1,225
The only pic I had of the QP2R on my phone, plus I just really like their logo. Of course, other IEMs and brands are available (as they like to say on the very impartial BBC over here) :wink:

Jun 14, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #118 of 1,225
I thought that was Jackpot's pair of Zeus XR that he won?

They are indeed my competition winnings from the recent EE giveaway. Having been a member of the Aurisonics and ASG2.5 threads for a while, I presume that was just another example of @jmills8 and his finely tuned sense of sarcasm. :wink:

Jun 15, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #120 of 1,225
I own and really like the qp1r. My assumption is the qp2r sounds slightly better, but its lack of support for streaming means I will not be upgrading.

The way music is consumed has changed and companies that do not recognize this are just opening the door for the competition. With the very minor differences in sound quality between high end daps companies must now compete on functionality, price and the cool factor. If I gave my qp1r to either of my sons (both of whom are in their 20s) neither would likely ever use it.

I get that the minimalist design is intended to maximize sound quality, but why not design a product that gives users the choice: streaming and touch screen for convenience, everything off and minimalist controls for maximum sound quality? Perhaps I am over simplifying.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back