1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Questyle QP2R

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by unknownguardian, May 17, 2017.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6
8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Next

Last
  1. astonchan
    Hi, I wonder where I can audition this player

2. WayTooCrazy
    Same... but there isn't anything in my neck of the woods.

3. kel77
    I am in Singapore. Zeppelin & Co has the demo unit.

4. Imusicman
    I have the QP1R and am thinking of purchasing the Xelentos. How did you find this combination?

5. kel77
    The Xelentos are easy to pair and goes well with most sources. They do have synergy with the QP1R.
    Go for it. :)

6. Tro95
    My main question is whether the QP2R is much easier to plug in via micro USB?

Also, can we expect the QP1R to work with the docking station?

7. sidrpm
    Let me try and answer - QP2R uses USB C, so it will not work via micro USB. For the same reason the dock (both the charging dock as well as the rca out dock) will not work with QP1R.

reddog likes this.
  8. Tro95
    Ahh thank you, it wasn't immediately obvious the 2 uses USB-C, especially as the product page makes no mention of it. I hope this will make charging a lot less frustrating.

9. twister6 Contributor
    They refer to it as Type C port http://m.questyleaudio.com/questyle/QP2R/

10. csglinux
    Can you explain why?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  11. AxelCloris Administrator
    The 4.4mm Pentacon connector is superior in almost every way. 2.5mm doesn't have a dedicated ground, it's more likely to break due to how thin it is in comparison, it's harder to work with when making DIY cables and it cannot be configured to work with both SE and balanced outputs in a single cable like the Pentacon can. The only considerable advantage 2.5mm has going is that it's been available for a few years, so there are a handful of devices and headphones that support it.

I know that the QP2R has been in development for some time now, so the possibility that they'd adopt the 4.4mm part way through development was marginal. It makes sense for Questyle to go with a 2.5mm jack on the QP2R. I'm glad to see Questyle come out with a balanced DAP, but it doesn't change my thoughts on 2.5mm vs 4.4mm.

reddog and twister6 like this.
  12. csglinux
    Since I'm unable to find the rolling-eyes emoticon (lucky for me, or I'd probably get banned), I'll just do my usual thing of playing Devil's advocate here. No disrespect, @AxelCloris - I know others (incl. Jude) like the 4.4 mm TRRRS, but personally I need another new proprietary (sorry Sony, I meant to say standard) connector type like I need a hole in the head. I've never broken any of my 2.5 mm TRRS connectors or had problems soldering them. The fact that Sony's connector could work with SE or balanced is moot if none of my devices or headphones have such a connector. (And it's not like one couldn't internally wire the 2.5 mm trrs socket to do both, if the world desperately needed it.) You'll have to educate me on the advantages of the ground - you're worried about the risk of electrocution from a 3 volt source?!? :wink: The only change in audio connector that would make any sense to me is USB-C, but that's probably DOA, considering the likes of Sony, Apple, etc., who are courageously forging ahead in the best interests of their own share holders audio quality.

I think Questyle got the decision to include a 2.5 mm balanced output absolutely spot-on. The only disappointment for me is the loss of a microSD slot. It wouldn't have been so bad if the original QP1R had only one slot, but an extra $400 to lose a slot? Ouch. That hurts. On the flip side, the QP2R definitely sorts out some small intonation issues I had with the QP1R. I actually thought the QP2R sounded more enjoyable than the Hugo2, even though I'm sure Hugo2 will measure far better (more detailed comparisons coming soon...). Questyle obviously took earlier criticisms to heart, because the wheel on the QP2R is just amazing. It moves like a precision Swiss watch. The prototype QP2R I heard couldn't play hi-res PCM, but that was just a problem with the unfinished firmware. It still has a bit of a noise floor (lower than QP1R from the SE-output; higher from the balanced output), but it never really bothered me that much on the QP1R. Its sound was so good, I could easily let that go.

P.S. I was curious to hear about the common DAC components between QP2R and A&K Kann. The Kann sounds AWFUL - grainy, muddy, not resolving. Both QP1R and QP2R poop all over it. There must be some huge differences in the amps between Kann and QP2R.

Renzo228, ChisChas and headwhacker like this.
  13. AxelCloris Administrator
    I don't want to take the thread off topic, so we'll just agree to disagree for now. :wink:

The difference all comes down to implementation. The DAC chip itself doesn't have as much impact on the end sound as many might think. There's the digital implementation ahead of the chip, the analog implementation after it, the amp circuit and then the output itself. All of those steps will color the sound in some way, some dramatically. I'm not surprised that Questyle's end sound is different from A&K's. Their Current Mode amp alone will take the sound in a different direction.

14. twister6 Contributor
    Question about QP1R vs QP2R. I read a few 2R impressions that mentioned about its SE port being inferior to 1R and BAL port being on par with 1R. Even if I get a chance to review 2R, I won't have 1R as my point of reference. So I'm curious what do you think since you had a chance to test/compare both?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  15. csglinux
    I read those comments too, but I didn't have that experience. I found the SE-out of the QP2R tidied up the few small issues I had with the QP1R. It sounded better than the QP1R to me. The only differences I could really hear with the balanced-output were more power and a slightly higher noise floor. Just to clarify though - I was only listening with IEMs (SE846 and FLC 8S) which are pretty easy to drive. Output was on low. Bias, I believe, was set to high (I didn't try adjusting the bias setting).

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6
8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Next

Last