PS1000 Impressions Thread
Sep 9, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #391 of 3,605
yep. i'm a proud owner of the ps1000.
smile_phones.gif

wouldn't laying them on their sides deform the ear pads?

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #392 of 3,605
Sep 9, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #393 of 3,605
Quote:
yep. i'm a proud owner of the ps1000.
smile_phones.gif

wouldn't laying them on their sides deform the ear pads?

having had the pads before, i think the biggest issue with deforming would be wearing them over a period of time during summer and them soaking up alot of sweat but then again if you own a PS-1000 you probably have good aircon too hahaha

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #394 of 3,605
I never noticed the pads deforming. I put them in the cushioned box, and then half-close the lid.

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #395 of 3,605
OMG you guys have to check out the new HD Tracks release of Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue if you like jazz. Get the 192KHz version. The bass is just killer on these phones. 

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #397 of 3,605
At work, cubicle environment, I have Denon D5000's, my favorite closed phones. At home I listen to my LCD-2's a lot as well. They do have a unique and interesting sound quality, and the large drivers & thick pads cut out outside noise much more than the PS1000's foam cups and wide open backs. That said, they are kind of dark by comparison, but good for multitasking. With the PS1000's it's impossible to ignore the music. Crystalline, rich, detailed, involving. Sometimes you can actually feel a vocalist spit in your ear :wink:

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #398 of 3,605
Quote:
. With the PS1000's it's impossible to ignore the music. Crystalline, rich, detailed, involving. Sometimes you can actually feel a vocalist spit in your ear :wink:

LOL, that would be a great quote for the Grado website

Sep 14, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #399 of 3,605
Great to see so much love for the PS1000, they're a very misunderstood set of cans which when partnered right sound awesome :)

I live in the UK so rather than shipping my cans to the US each time I want them re-cabled. I've gone the extra mile to have my PS1000 fitted with HD800 connectors to allow more flexibility with trying different after market cables, I think that finding a cable that works well to tame some of the top end peakiness would work well. I have some Stefan Art, Moon audio and the HD800 stock to try and considering a Toxic set too. Will probably post back here with some impressions if folks are interested.

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #400 of 3,605
Quote:
Great to see so much love for the PS1000, they're a very misunderstood set of cans which when partnered right sound awesome :)

I live in the UK so rather than shipping my cans to the US each time I want them re-cabled. I've gone the extra mile to have my PS1000 fitted with HD800 connectors to allow more flexibility with trying different after market cables, I think that finding a cable that works well to tame some of the top end peakiness would work well. I have some Stefan Art, Moon audio and the HD800 stock to try and considering a Toxic set too. Will probably post back here with some impressions if folks are interested.

Sure, I'll like to hear your impressions
beerchug.gif

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #401 of 3,605
WOW! Whoever invented the "electrical tape on the cup mounting pins" mod deserves Sainthood! I have, I guess, a relatively small head, and had gotten used to having to cinch them back up every now and then. Thanks to the magic of this mod I have no comfort issues whatsoever anymore. These cans are actually quite light, low clamping force, and generally easy to wear, but the slipping down was irritating. The tape doesn't look bad, and now they are always perfectly adjusted.

If Apple made these phones, you could buy iTape as an accessory for $29 (well, $58 because you'd need a piece for each side). But good old-fashioned Grado, they make you figure it out for yourself.

I will say, what's nice about the pins (instead of indexed clicks) is you can decide how to center the drivers on your ear with infinite precision. I'm sure that's why Grado made this choice. But once you've figured out how big your skull is, it's fantastic to finally be able to fix it where you want it. 

Big kudos & thanks to the poster on Head-Fi that introduced me to this idea. I love my PS1000's even more now.

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #402 of 3,605
Not to be thick, but what is the mod exactly? Do you simply wrap electrical tape a couple times around the rods above the gimbels or whatever they're called?

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #403 of 3,605
There really is a big difference in the sound when the drivers are not properly centered. Double sided tape is the solution for now.

Build quality is just plain poor. I pulled the foam bowels off and was surprised to see that the the whole driver unit seemed to be hastily glued in place. The work looks just plain sloppy. I also am noticing distortion or a rattle at higher volumes but it seems more a product of poor build than the driver itself. These were not designed to be cranked. I feel like I could actually blow  the drivers whereas I suspect that would be impossible on the Sennheiser.

HD800 blows these out of the water in build quality. Having said that, if you can get the ear cups positioned properly, they sound ungodly good and I believe they are more comfortable to wear than HD800 once you solve the slippage issue.

Sep 24, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #404 of 3,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackstoneJD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also am noticing distortion or a rattle at higher volumes but it seems more a product of poor build than the driver itself. These were not designed to be cranked. I feel like I could actually blow  the drivers whereas I suspect that would be impossible on the Sennheiser.

I've never noticed any distortion of that kind on mine, my ears would bleed and fall of long before I got these up to that volume. You should return them for repair.

Cheers!

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #405 of 3,605
Quote:
There really is a big difference in the sound when the drivers are not properly centered. Double sided tape is the solution for now.

Build quality is just plain poor. I pulled the foam bowels off and was surprised to see that the the whole driver unit seemed to be hastily glued in place. The work looks just plain sloppy. I also am noticing distortion or a rattle at higher volumes but it seems more a product of poor build than the driver itself. These were not designed to be cranked. I feel like I could actually blow  the drivers whereas I suspect that would be impossible on the Sennheiser.

HD800 blows these out of the water in build quality. Having said that, if you can get the ear cups positioned properly, they sound ungodly good and I believe they are more comfortable to wear than HD800 once you solve the slippage issue.

I know your probably aware but do a search for "grattle".  May be the culprit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back