PS1000 Impressions Thread
Sep 29, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #421 of 3,605
Quote:

Another +1 to that.  Never heard his whole album, think I'll try and get a copy this weekend.

I'm digging all the Jeff Buckley love in this thread!  He inspired me to become a musician after he released Grace in '94.  I was shaken when he drowned in '97 and even though a lot of time has passed, Grace remains one of my favorite albums ever.  I have listened to it probably 200 times since '94 and these headphones made me feel like I was really hearing it for the first time.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.  :wink:

Thanks for the links to those headband supplements!

I have noticed after nearly a week of listening - does the plastic around the metal dowel rods slip as you wear them?  I found myself having to re-adjust a few times during the day..

Oct 4, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #422 of 3,605
You can just make out the text through the drool marks.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1012/grado_ps1000.htm

Oct 4, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #423 of 3,605
Quote:
You can just make out the text through the drool marks.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1012/grado_ps1000.htm

Wow, what a review! 

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #424 of 3,605
Quote:

Wow, what a review! 

As i've said before,soundwise,i haven't found anything i don't like about them,as far as their weight is concern,they could stand to lose a few grams.

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #425 of 3,605
Another PS1000 appreciator joins the ranks. Meanwhile, the haters appear to have mostly tired themselves out. Rope-a-dope.

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #426 of 3,605
Hey guys...for anyone who has heard the GS1ks in addition to the PS1ks, can you discuss some of the similarities/differences? I'm about to pull the trigger on the GS1ks and take another step up the Grado line....I know there is more to the sound than just the FR, but since it seems their FRs are similar I was wondering what other areas this holds true. 

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #427 of 3,605
With all respect guys, but this, an review, are you joking me? http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1012/grado_ps1000.htm

He sounds like he took some dope and wrote his OMG story and call it an review, cos all you read is like: "Ooh, this is tasteful! Ooh, cant believe what I taste! OMG, I almost swallow my tongue!!! Be careful, cos I warned you!!!

Of course, at the end, this is his opinion.

Actually, this is very amusing, thank you for making my day
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #428 of 3,605
Quote:
With all respect guys, but this, an review, are you joking me? http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1012/grado_ps1000.htm

He sounds like he took some dope and wrote his OMG story and call it an review, cos all you read is like: "Ooh, this is tasteful! Ooh, cant believe what I taste! OMG, I almost swallow my tongue!!! Be careful, cos I warned you!!!

ksc75smile.gif

He says right in the beginning that he often over exaggerates in his reviews....apparently that's just his style. He also acknowledges toward the end, just before he discusses how he didn't like the weight of the headphones, that his review for the most part comes off as a "tribute to the PS1000s".

I'm sure you can find other more negative reviews on the PS1000s that would be more to your liking. 

Oct 6, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #429 of 3,605
As a long-time owner and lover of my PS-1000, I found the review obnoxious, unhelpful, and way over the top. The reviewer sounds like a shill, like most of the reviewers from enjoythemusic.   Example - his statement that "You'd be a fool ..."   Oh please - what a jerk.

Oct 6, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #430 of 3,605
Focker:  The GS-1000i has more soundstage and is much more comfortable than the PS-1000 (this does not mean the PS-1000 isn't comfortable, but you simply don't feel the GS-1000i on your head when you put them on - they're much lighter in weight, etc.).  That said, the GS-1000i are just a bit more sibillant on the high end, to my ears, and slightly "thinner" in overall sound - though not 'thin' by any means, compared to the PS-1000.  If you weren't doing an immediate A/B listen to the GS-1000i and the PS1000, you might not notice it that much, or even at all, depending on how acute your hearing is.  I've mentioned this before, a while back, but this difference in no way - to my ears - makes the GS-1000i less than an outstanding pair of cans, particularly with respect to classical music.   But the first time I heard my PS-1000, it definitely filled the 'gap' (except for the soundstage) so to speak; the PS-1000 is just much more lush and full a sound, with much more complete bass and the highs didn't seem (again, to my ears) quite as sibillant.  That said, the PS1000 is substantially more expensive than the GS-1000i - you can't go wrong with either.  I love them both.

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #431 of 3,605
Quote:

ksc75smile.gif

Not to put to fine a point on it, but this IS the PS-1000 Appreciation thread.

Thanks for appreciating?

And, you're welcome.

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #432 of 3,605
In defense of Blackmore (not that he needs it), he has been a PS-1000 fan since way back when - long before the PS-1000 seems to have become the FOTM.   He knows his stuff.

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #433 of 3,605
PSK sounds more robust.
That is, GSK could sound bad in unsuitable system.
Also, PSK sounds more controlled in some occasions like the climax of large scale orchestral work.

The overall sound signature is similar while using suitable system.
PSK is slightly better, but the problem is its weight.
Not that PSK is uncomfortable, GSK is just too comfortable.
That is one of the main reason I stay with GSK.

The other one is that after several concerts in the very good seats in the famous concert halls, I realized that even the best headphone in the world cannot reach my goal.
So why even bother to spend additional money while I am pretty happy with my current setup.

That said, if Grado can manage the produce PSK-level sound with GSK-level weight, I will buy one immediately.

Quote:
Hey guys...for anyone who has heard the GS1ks in addition to the PS1ks, can you discuss some of the similarities/differences? I'm about to pull the trigger on the GS1ks and take another step up the Grado line....I know there is more to the sound than just the FR, but since it seems their FRs are similar I was wondering what other areas this holds true. 

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #434 of 3,605
Quote:
Focker:  The GS-1000i has more soundstage and is much more comfortable than the PS-1000 (this does not mean the PS-1000 isn't comfortable, but you simply don't feel the GS-1000i on your head when you put them on - they're much lighter in weight, etc.).  That said, the GS-1000i are just a bit more sibillant on the high end, to my ears, and slightly "thinner" in overall sound - though not 'thin' by any means, compared to the PS-1000.  If you weren't doing an immediate A/B listen to the GS-1000i and the PS1000, you might not notice it that much, or even at all, depending on how acute your hearing is.  I've mentioned this before, a while back, but this difference in no way - to my ears - makes the GS-1000i less than an outstanding pair of cans, particularly with respect to classical music.   But the first time I heard my PS-1000, it definitely filled the 'gap' (except for the soundstage) so to speak; the PS-1000 is just much more lush and full a sound, with much more complete bass and the highs didn't seem (again, to my ears) quite as sibillant.  That said, the PS1000 is substantially more expensive than the GS-1000i - you can't go wrong with either.  I love them both.

Thanks man, that's great info. One thing I read about the GS1ks that REALLY appealed to me is that they have the wide sound stage that you mentioned, but also are image well. Is that true in your experience? I prioritize imaging over sound stage, and it's rare that I've found a speaker or headphone taht can do both well. If the GS1ks can pull this off I can almost guarantee I'll like them.

Also, do you think the PS1ks and GS1ks are complementary enough that owning and enjoying both is feasible? Or do you think the GS1ks would gather dust when the chromes are in the house?

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #435 of 3,605
Quote:
PSK sounds more robust.
That is, GSK could sound bad in unsuitable system.
Also, PSK sounds more controlled in some occasions like the climax of large scale orchestral work.

The overall sound signature is similar while using suitable system.
PSK is slightly better, but the problem is its weight.
Not that PSK is uncomfortable, GSK is just too comfortable.
That is one of the main reason I stay with GSK.

The other one is that after several concerts in the very good seats in the famous concert halls, I realized that even the best headphone in the world cannot reach my goal.
So why even bother to spend additional money while I am pretty happy with my current setup.

That said, if Grado can manage the produce PSK-level sound with GSK-level weight, I will buy one immediately.

Seems like everyone loves how light the GS1ks are....I know when I held the RS-1s, I loved that about them, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back