PS1000 Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #376 of 3,605
Thanks, Sumonkey....I am pretty familar with the 325s, so that helps. I have the 500s and absolutely love them, so will eventually audition the PS1ks and GS1ks to see if I want to upgrade even further up the line. The 500s are the absolute most perfect headphone in terms of my preferences. They just do it for me...so it just makes me wonder if it's even possible for the PS1ks to compete with that, even if they are better in some ways. Going to be fun finding out! I just like to get some feedback from others in the meantime, you know? I find it interesting that you still have times when you reach for the 325s, though. The main reason I sold my 325s was because I felt I didn't really have a time when I would prefer them to the 500s. 

Sep 3, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #377 of 3,605
Quote:
I find it interesting that you still have times when you reach for the 325s, though.

Well, I almost added: "...only when I am so drunk my legs don't work and the 325is are closer than the PS1Ks to where I collapsed, insensible."

But I tend to be wordy, so I refrained. 

I've had the PS1Ks since January, and have only gone for the 325is twice since. My guess is (and I am guessing) that you'll find the PS1Ks are a beefier version of the PS500s. In other words, if you can justify the price increase against the performance increase, then the upgrade  from the 500s to the 1000s would be a natural and easy 'yes' since the sound signature will be (mostly) consistent between the two.

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #378 of 3,605
Quote:

Well, I almost added: "...only when I am so drunk my legs don't work and the 325is are closer than the PS1Ks to where I collapsed, insensible."

But I tend to be wordy, so I refrained. 

I've had the PS1Ks since January, and have only gone for the 325is twice since. My guess is (and I am guessing) that you'll find the PS1Ks are a beefier version of the PS500s. In other words, if you can justify the price increase against the performance increase, then the upgrade  from the 500s to the 1000s would be a natural and easy 'yes' since the sound signature will be (mostly) consistent between the two.

LOL, ah okay, now it makes sense....I'm cool with paying a premium for diminshing returns, so I'll definitely give the PS1ks a very thorough audition....thanks for the feedback! 

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #379 of 3,605
Focker:

Yeah, bottom line: there is no meaningful comparison, other than the 325is and PS1Ks both have Grado branding. 
rolleyes.gif

I'm curious to hear how the PS500 stacks up. It would be nice to know where I stand, relatively, and hopefully increase my appreciation even more. I'll see if I can get my hands on a pair of the PS500s while back in the States over the next couple of weeks.

If you beat me to it, let us know how it goes!

Sep 3, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #381 of 3,605
PS500s are very similar to the HF-2s and are the closest you can get to the PS1s.

RS1is are slightly softer at the top and bottom but share a similar mid-range as the PS500s
I don't have the 325s anymore, but do recall them having a lot more treble energy and somewhat fatiguing to my ears. The very reason I let them go.

The PS1000s are an entirely different Grado.

Micro detail retrieval with image specificity is phenomenal. The little sounds just below the ears are very enjoyable.
Soundstage is wide with the vocals just a tad recessed.
The mid-bass makes the music very lively.

The Grado tonality is the only similarity, but otherwise very different from all Grados
All in my opinion, etc. etc..

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #382 of 3,605
How to I keep the ear cups from sliding down the posts on the PS1000? When I first got them two weeks ago, the earcups woulds tay in place even in the smallest position. Now they slide out of position down my ears. At least, the left side does. 
triportsad.gif

Sep 7, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #383 of 3,605
Quote:
How to I keep the ear cups from sliding down the posts on the PS1000? When I first got them two weeks ago, the earcups woulds tay in place even in the smallest position. Now they slide out of position down my ears. At least, the left side does. 
triportsad.gif

A simple, but "crude" solution is to wrap tape around the rods just above the gimble blocks in the position you prefer, which will prevent them from sliding down.  

You might also look for some type of clamps at a good hardware store.

And... you can always get some custom rods, blocks and gimbels from www.martincustomaudio.com.

Sep 7, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #384 of 3,605
Someone posted some pics of shaft collars they picked up earlier in the thread....I'll let you dig for it, but they seem to work well and actually look like part of the headphone. I'd probably take Gradofan2's suggestion and go with some Martin Custom Audio stuff....looks classy as hell. 

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #385 of 3,605
Its a shame that Grado switched from the squared posts to the rounded ones. With earlier versions the rounded posts were used on RS-2 and lower , while the squared off ones were reserved for RS-1 and higher. One tip is to lay your PS-1000s flat after use, dont let them hang from your hp stand.  Gravity can be a Grados worst enemy in some cases.

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #386 of 3,605
The tape did the trick for now. They sound a lot better when positioned properly.

Sep 7, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #387 of 3,605
Quote:
Its a shame that Grado switched from the squared posts to the rounded ones. With earlier versions the rounded posts were used on RS-2 and lower , while the squared off ones were reserved for RS-1 and higher. One tip is to lay your PS-1000s flat after use, dont let them hang from your hp stand.  Gravity can be a Grados worst enemy in some cases.

That's good advice,when i first got my PS1000,i wanted to built them a nice stand,like i did for my GS1000 and my HP1000,but when i realised how heavy they were,i figured i'd better play it safe,and lay them  flat when i'm not using them.

Sep 8, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #388 of 3,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortalcoil /img/forum/go_quote.gif   
One tip is to lay your PS-1000s flat after use, dont let them hang from your hp stand.  Gravity can be a Grados worst enemy in some cases.

I always do that, then I put a coaster over each cup to prevent unwanted objects from entering through the grills.

Cheers!

Sep 9, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #390 of 3,605
Quote:
yep, lying flat with the protective foam packing over the grilles. that's how i'm storing mine.
wink.gif

So I guess this means you picked up a pair?
gs1000.gif

Personally, I never lay my Grados flat if I can avoid it. I lay them on their sides (ie, like they were on my head). I find that this minimizes the dreaded cable-twisting, for some reason I am too simple to understand. And stuff is less likely to fall in the grilles that way too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back