PS1000 Impressions Thread
Oct 2, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #3,346 of 3,605
Had these Grado's for about a month and put a good deal of time in.  i enjoyed them, no doubt.  much more than i enjoyed my trial run of the HD-800.  i can see how it's "geared for rock music".  very dynamic highs and a very FAST headphone which i did not expect.  

At some point I will be ordering these for keeps.  unless they put out a new flagship soon...

Oct 2, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #3,347 of 3,605
Oh, I see, but I will never sell my "e" version, because in my opinion they are simply the best headphones in the World. Guys, don't trust your first impressions with the PS1000e, it needs really good amplifier and cables, then you will see what bass and hump they deliver - the best in the World, it's like you listening to high quality $10-$15K floor speakers.

What amplifier, cables, source, and recordings do you use that really highlight the PS1000e? I too have both the PS1000 and the PS1000e.

Oct 2, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #3,348 of 3,605
My chain is: "PurePower 1500" power re-generator --> "Bryston BDP-1" player --> "PS Audio NuWave" DAC --> "Bryston BHA-1" amplifier at the end. All the above components are fed by "PS Audio AC-12" power cables. Interconnects are: "Audioquest Eagle" (BNC) 1 meter (digital) --> "Audioquest Earth" (RCA) 1 meter (analog). The components sit on the "Atacama Eris Eco" 4-shelf rack.
I use .wav files only, because it's better quality than .flac ones (don't ask me why, becasue I'm not sure - it just the .wav ones sound better to me). Listen to mostly classic rock, modern rock, blues, jazz, fusion types of music.
When I listen to music with all these things with the PS1000e attached at the end, it transfers me straight to the Audio Nirvana, where all words are lost to describe how it sounds - I just want to listen to it more and more and be inside the music.
However, the achieved sound I've got by now is the result of 25 years of life of continuous tweaking / changing / experimenting with components, cables, headphones and speakers 
wink_face.gif
. It is my "end of game" audio rig, which is also ready-to-use with good quality speakers (I've got integrated amp as well), and the result will not be worse than with the PS1000/1000e.

P.S. One thing I noticed with the "e" version - it doesn't like balanced (XLR) cables.  I tried Audioquest Water XLR and the sound resulted in to be too bright. But the original PS1000 had no problems with XLR connection - only sounded even better. Also, both PS1000's don't like silver analog interconnects (I tried Audioquest Niagara RCA), they are in love with copper metal :). With silver ones they sound crystal clear, but too thin, with no weight in the body of the music.

I'm now listening to Chris Rea's "Looking for a Rainbow" on the above system with the PS1000e attached, and all I can say - it's worthwhile to be born on the Earth in order to have this listening experience
darthsmile.gif

Oct 3, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #3,350 of 3,605
  Had these Grado's for about a month and put a good deal of time in.  i enjoyed them, no doubt.  much more than i enjoyed my trial run of the HD-800.  i can see how it's "geared for rock music".  very dynamic highs and a very FAST headphone which i did not expect.  

At some point I will be ordering these for keeps.  unless they put out a new flagship soon...

Frankly speaking, IMHO I can't imagine any further improvements in a headphones in general after knowing and using the PS1000e 
happy_face1.gif
, but who knows, those guys at Grado Labs are headphones Magicians without doubt and if they are going to release a new flagship PS model - I'll be in the 1st row for buying them without even auditioning (this is how I trust their ears) 
smile.gif

Oct 5, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #3,351 of 3,605
I just compared the two cans, original and e versions, side by side with an Ayre QX-5 Twenty, and they are VERY different cans. The e is much improved but some might prefer the older version. The e has a wider soundstage, less in your head/more laid back presentation, and is a touch more refined. The original at first comes off as warmer but ultimately I think the e is less fatiguing even though the bass is tighter. I think the e is even more demanding of a quality source than the original. The newer driver is more neutral and flat sounding whereas the mids were a little more recessed in the old driver.

The cable seems much more substantial.

I don't think the improvements merit an upgrade from the original for current owners, but new owners with good sources will want the e.

Oct 5, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #3,352 of 3,605
Frankly speaking, IMHO I can't imagine any further improvements in a headphones in general after knowing and using the PS1000e :happy_face1: , but who knows, those guys at Grado Labs are headphones Magicians without doubt and if they are going to release a new flagship PS model - I'll be in the 1st row for buying them without even auditioning (this is how I trust their ears) :smile:

I heard the Sennheiser HE-1 ($55,000) electrostats last week. They of course blew my PS1000 out of the water. There is always room for improvement! :sunglasses:

Oct 5, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #3,353 of 3,605
I just compared the two cans, original and e versions, side by side with an Ayre QX-5 Twenty, and they are VERY different cans. The e is much improved but some might prefer the older version. The e has a wider soundstage, less in your head/more laid back presentation, and is a touch more refined. The original at first comes off as warmer but ultimately I think the e is less fatiguing even though the bass is tighter. I think the e is even more demanding of a quality source than the original. The newer driver is more neutral and flat sounding whereas the mids were a little more recessed in the old driver.

The cable seems much more substantial.

I don't think the improvements merit an upgrade from the original for current owners, but new owners with good sources will want the e.

Yes, I agree, the "e" model needs not only quality source, but the whole chain of quality electronics, even cables do matter. I often listen to the PS1000e from my mobile setup (Sony Walkman NW-ZX2 player) and it's very, very good, but it's not even close to what my main setup offers. I found th e PS500e is more suitable for mobile setups, but I wouldn't spend that money on PS1000e if not to invest in quality electronics and use in mobile setups or cheap mass electronics and cables. I know, it requires lots of effort to build a decent sound system, but at the end there is a reward in a form of  "blown-away" sound quality 
happy_face1.gif

Oct 5, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #3,355 of 3,605
grado labs recommends the modestly priced schitt asgard amp with the ps1000e. does that qualify as "quality electronics"? they make no mention of it requiring expensive boutique audio cables or power conditioners to achieve its "true potential" either. one of the qualities that i admire about the ps1000 is that it sounds exceptional straight from a laptop. on the flip side, it didn't seem to scale significantly with far more costly headphone rigs as i recall.

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #3,356 of 3,605
grado labs recommends the modestly priced schitt asgard amp with the ps1000e. does that qualify as "quality electronics"? they make no mention of it requiring expensive boutique audio cables or power conditioners to achieve its "true potential" either. one of the qualities that i admire about the ps1000 is that it sounds exceptional straight from a laptop. on the flip side, it didn't seem to scale significantly with far more costly headphone rigs as i recall.

No doubt for some it sounds exceptionally good from laptop, if they happy with what they hear and it delivers those emotions that we all look for from music - it is a good thing then, because they can stop there, enjoy them and the main thing, not to spend money any further. But for me, personally, the PS1000e from laptop doesn't give those emotions, you won't get that real paralyzing bass and hump, which many PS1000e owners complain about. Even the Schiit Asgard you mentioned will not deliver it either. The original PS1000 - yes, you will get those frequencies there, but not with the "e" model. The PS1000e requires much more efforts and funds to get the maximum from them, just take my word 
wink_face.gif

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #3,357 of 3,605
based on my own experience with the ps1000 and the e iteration, i'm very sceptical of your claims, which is why i felt compelled to post. so no, i won't be taking take your word for it - sorry.

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #3,358 of 3,605
based on my own experience with the ps1000 and the e iteration, i'm very sceptical of your claims, which is why i felt compelled to post. so no, i won't be taking take your word for it - sorry.

And you are absolutely right, go your own way, don't listen anyone and experience things yourself, only that way we learn  
normal_smile .gif

beerchug.gif

Oct 5, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #3,359 of 3,605
Yes, I agree, the "e" model needs not only quality source, but the whole chain of quality electronics, even cables do matter. I often listen to the PS1000e from my mobile setup (Sony Walkman NW-ZX2 player) and it's very, very good, but it's not even close to what my main setup offers. I found th e PS500e is more suitable for mobile setups, but I wouldn't spend that money on PS1000e if not to invest in quality electronics and use in mobile setups or cheap mass electronics and cables. I know, it requires lots of effort to build a decent sound system, but at the end there is a reward in a form of  "blown-away" sound quality :happy_face1: .

What is your main setup, which showcases the PS1000e so well?

I too have both the PS1000 and the PS1000e, and while I love both, when I compared them, I had a slight preference for the PS1000. However, with the recent purchase, use, and delight with the oft-maligned RS1e, I think my tastes are bending more toward the -e series recently.

Thanks!

Oct 5, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #3,360 of 3,605
What is your main setup, which showcases the PS1000e so well?

I too have both the PS1000 and the PS1000e, and while I love both, when I compared them, I had a slight preference for the PS1000. However, with the recent purchase, use, and delight with the oft-mailigned RS1e, I think my tastes are bending more toward the -e series recently.

Thanks!

My chain is: "PurePower 1500" power re-generator --> "Bryston BDP-1" player --> "PS Audio NuWave" DAC --> "Bryston BHA-1" amplifier at the end. All the above components are fed by "PS Audio AC-12" power cables. Interconnects are: "Audioquest Eagle" (BNC) 1 meter (digital) --> "Audioquest Earth" (RCA) 1 meter (analog). The components sit on the "Atacama Eris Eco" 4-shelf rack. Here is the picture:

The thing is, I didn't build this setup specifically for PS1000/1000e, or other Grados, or headphones. Because I'm audio enthusiast, it was built slowly, one by one piece, than changing / swapping them with others. And it took long time to build. I had many different headphones in the past, including most of the flagships, but was always coming back to Grados, because I like how they sound, and for me the PS1000e is the truly exceptional headphone. By now my system became as base for anything I attach to it, it retrieves the maximum from any headphone, especially from flagships. Speakers can be used as well, and it will also get the best from what they capable to give.

I think my tastes are bending more toward the -e series recently

Yes, I also think (and feel
happy_face1.gif
), the "e" series are big step ahead, and to me they sound better than the previous ones. 

I can tell you something, guys - couple of years ago, when I auditioned the PS1000e in audio shop, I wasn't impressed that much (it was attached to cheap amplifier and sourced from laptop). Than I did some research about them, gave it a good thinking, and at the end made decision to buy it. Brought home, connected to my system (photo above), started to listen and was blown away, it was 7 pm, and when I checked the time after I started to listen, it was 1 am
eek.gif
. I couldn't stop to listen to them. Basically, this happens all the time when I start listening to PS1000e.

And again, my strongest opinion is that the PS1000e will bloom when it gets fed by extremely clean and powerful signal. And there is no laptop or DAP in the World than can deliver it to PS1000e. I know, for some it will sound wonderful from laptops, or Schiit components, or similar price range components, but not for me, sorry
beerchug.gif

P.S. If you will ever travel to New Zealand in the future, I invite you for audio session from my system with the PS1000e, and then you will feel what I try to express here in the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back