PS1000 Impressions Thread
Oct 5, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #3,361 of 3,605
I have a some what modest front end that costs about $2500 including interconnects that I run my PS500e off of. I thought it sounded pretty good but bought a mojo for my wife last week and it blows my system away using the HD500e/mojo/iphone.

So maybe if your on a budget just give the mojo a try before spending thousands to run Grados as they are a pretty easy load.

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #3,362 of 3,605
I have a some what modest front end that costs about $2500 including interconnects that I run my PS500e off of. I thought it sounded pretty good but bought a mojo for my wife last week and it blows my system away using the HD500e/mojo/iphone.

So maybe if your on a budget just give the mojo a try before spending thousands to run Grados as they are a pretty easy load.

The thing is, I purchased PS1000e after I built my main system, I had already ready-to-use my "end-of-game" audio rig waiting for any headphones or speakers to attach, so currently I'm pretty happy with what I hear from it. But yes, probably for a mobile setup, the Mojo is excellent choice 
smile.gif

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #3,363 of 3,605

The thing is, I purchased PS1000e after I built my main system, I had already ready-to-use my "end-of-game" audio rig waiting for any headphones or speakers to attach, so currently I'm pretty happy with what I hear from it. But yes, probably for a mobile setup, the Mojo is excellent choice 
smile.gif

I can confirm the PS1000e and Mojo combination is great combination!!! FWIW, I prefer the smaller bass hump on the "e" version as the original had too big a mid bass hump that would bleed into the mids and could blur things up.

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #3,364 of 3,605
The thing is, I purchased PS1000e after I built my main system, I had already ready-to-use my "end-of-game" audio rig waiting for any headphones or speakers to attach, so currently I'm pretty happy with what I hear from it. But yes, probably for a mobile setup, the Mojo is excellent choice :smile: .

I am not knocking you i get it and love doing the same thing. The thing is the mojo is not just good for portable it is plain out good! At least for grados that don't need a ton of power.

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #3,365 of 3,605

I can confirm the PS1000e and Mojo combination is great combination!!! FWIW, I prefer the smaller bass hump on the "e" version as the original had too big a mid bass hump that would bleed into the mids and could blur things up.

True, I agree about the original PS1000, on some songs with decent bass it can hurt ears sometimes, but the PS1000e in my setup has never such problems, very pleasant to listen to, even on heavy bass tracks, like Jonas Hellborg's albums.

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #3,366 of 3,605
I am not knocking you i get it and love doing the same thing. The thing is the mojo is not just good for portable it is plain out good! At least for grados that don't need a ton of power.

We always believe in perfection we currently have .... until we try something a little bit better 
wink_face.gif

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #3,367 of 3,605

My chain is: "PurePower 1500" power re-generator --> "Bryston BDP-1" player --> "PS Audio NuWave" DAC --> "Bryston BHA-1" amplifier at the end. All the above components are fed by "PS Audio AC-12" power cables. Interconnects are: "Audioquest Eagle" (BNC) 1 meter (digital) --> "Audioquest Earth" (RCA) 1 meter (analog). The components sit on the "Atacama Eris Eco" 4-shelf rack. Here is the picture:

The thing is, I didn't build this setup specifically for PS1000/1000e, or other Grados, or headphones. Because I'm audio enthusiast, it was built slowly, one by one piece, than changing / swapping them with others. And it took long time to build. I had many different headphones in the past, including most of the flagships, but was always coming back to Grados, because I like how they sound, and for me the PS1000e is the truly exceptional headphone. By now my system became as base for anything I attach to it, it retrieves the maximum from any headphone, especially from flagships. Speakers can be used as well, and it will also get the best from what they capable to give.

Yes, I also think (and feel
happy_face1.gif
), the "e" series are big step ahead, and to me they sound better than the previous ones. 

I can tell you something, guys - couple of years ago, when I auditioned the PS1000e in audio shop, I wasn't impressed that much (it was attached to cheap amplifier and sourced from laptop). Than I did some research about them, gave it a good thinking, and at the end made decision to buy it. Brought home, connected to my system (photo above), started to listen and was blown away, it was 7 pm, and when I checked the time after I started to listen, it was 1 am
eek.gif
. I couldn't stop to listen to them. Basically, this happens all the time when I start listening to PS1000e.

And again, my strongest opinion is that the PS1000e will bloom when it gets fed by extremely clean and powerful signal. And there is no laptop or DAP in the World than can deliver it to PS1000e. I know, for some it will sound wonderful from laptops, or Schiit components, or similar price range components, but not for me, sorry
beerchug.gif

P.S. If you will ever travel to New Zealand in the future, I invite you for audio session from my system with the PS1000e, and then you will feel what I try to express here in the thread.

Yike!  That is REALLY a carefully-evolved, top-of-the-line setup!  It is wonderful when you have tried, rejected, selected, and integrated many combinations of gear to get the best for you.  

Thanks so much for the invitation, too!  Turns out my wife and I are planning a trip to New Zealand in the not-too-distant future (and SHE is better at distinguishing headphones than I am!).  No date set for the trip yet.  Where are you?

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #3,368 of 3,605
  Yike!  That is REALLY a carefully-evolved, top-of-the-line setup!  It is wonderful when you have tried, rejected, selected, and integrated many combinations of gear to get the best for you.  

Thanks so much for the invitation, too!  Turns out my wife and I are planning a trip to New Zealand in the not-too-distant future (and SHE is better at distinguishing headphones than I am!).  No date set for the trip yet.  Where are you?

I'm in Hamilton, it's 1.5 hour driving from Auckland. Welcome to New Zealand 
beerchug.gif

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #3,369 of 3,605
  I agree, both are excellent HP's and didn't sound all that much similar to me either.
I had both series at the same time as well, and sold the PS1K, but then missed them, so I found a BNIB/NOS PS1K from Lyric Hi-Fi and purchased them (again) and sold my (e) series.

I loved my PS1000 so much that I found and bought an even-better-than-LNIB PS1000e, from joseph69 here, which had both screw stops added to keep the heavy cups from descending to the bottom of the rod travel, and black bands on the edges of the ear cups to reduce fingerprint buildup.  But the best part was the fact that they were owned and babied by one of the greatest posters on this site.

I performed a three-way comparison of the PS1000, PS1000e, and the newly-released GH-1, to find that I preferred the PS1000, as indicated by the higher scores on each of the 10 acoustic types of comparisons.

However, as I said earlier, the RS1e is growing on me and has become my "if I only could have one Grado, this would be it,"  and I think that for the same reason, when I compare again, I will find that I prefer the PS1000e.  My tastes change and mature, and these 10 acoustic features don't adequately capture my entire preference, but merely sample 10 aspects of it.

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #3,370 of 3,605
  I loved my PS1000 so much that I found and bought an even-better-than-LNIB PS1000e, from joseph69 here, which had both screw stops added to keep the heavy cups from descending to the bottom of the rod travel, and black bands on the edges of the ear cups to reduce fingerprint buildup.  But the best part was the fact that they were owned and babied by one of the greatest posters on this site.

John, thank you very much for the compliment.
Likewise.
beerchug.gif

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #3,372 of 3,605
All this PS1000/e love is making want to get a pair. What do you think the reality of a new model coming out soon is? Should I wait?

I've never heard yet about new Grado flagship coming out  ... but you won't be mistaken if get the current PS1000e, they are fantastic headphones
dt880smile.png

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #3,373 of 3,605

I performed a three-way comparison of the PS1000, PS1000e, and the newly-released GH-1, to find that I preferred the PS1000, as indicated by the higher scores on each of the 10 acoustic types of comparisons.

However, as I said earlier, the RS1e is growing on me and has become my "if I only could have one Grado, this would be it,"  and I think that for the same reason, when I compare again, I will find that I prefer the PS1000e.  My tastes change and mature, and these 10 acoustic features don't adequately capture my entire preference, but merely sample 10 aspects of it.

Looks very interesting - in your setup the original PS1000 wins in overall performance
confused_face(1).gif

Oct 5, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #3,374 of 3,605

Looks very interesting - in your setup the original PS1000 wins in overall performance
confused_face(1).gif

It really depends what you're after. If you want a more fun "U", then the PS1000 might be for you if you can find a used one (not too hard). But if you're like me (coming from the LCD-4/Utopia/SR-009) with no mid-bass bump or elevated treble, then the PS1000e is likely the best option. Just pick what you're looking for. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back