PS1000 Impressions Thread
May 9, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #1,846 of 3,605
  I read your post and understood why you posted it, but I still feel you need to listen too a HP and never mind the graph…even when the graphs differ for the same model HP's. 
smile.gif

I truly believe that people feel Audeze "must be a great" HP due to it being way over priced.

Its just that not everyone shares the taste for bright headphones with strongly forward high frequencies. The Audeze are dark and laid back, on the spectrum they'd be absolutely on the opposite side to aggressive, bright and fun/energetic cans like the Grado GS/PS/RS lines. On the same page, a lot of people might not listen to the same music that you might, so therefore Audeze might suit their tastes better. Its easy to see that not everyone shares your criteria for what makes a great headphone, and it has nothing to do with just thinking they are overpriced - as to a lot of Hifiman, Audeze, Sennheiser owners think the PS1000 are overpriced and not up to it.

I'm don't want to come across as someone knocking Grado though, the PS1000 has been on my list to get for a long time and I easily prefer bright headphones. I love the big energetic verve the PS1000 have. Just that both companies have their merits.

May 9, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #1,848 of 3,605
 True, but I was just pointing out that one company acknoledges that drivers can vary from HP to HP.  As some might know, graphs are useless to me and I can only trust my ears imphaticly.

I read your post and understood why you posted it, but I still feel you need to listen too a HP and never mind the graph…even when the graphs differ for the same model HP's. 
smile.gif

Amazing agreement! 

I truly believe that people feel Audeze "must be a great" HP due to it being way over priced.

I've owned both the PS1000 and the LCD3 for several years. I like the Audeze much more and they get 98% of my head time. That doesn't make me right or someone who prefers the PS1000 wrong, it simply highlights how important personal preference and sound signature familiarity is.

Taking anyone's personal preference and using it to claim the other headphone is "overpriced" or "a poor performer" is being myopic. They are both excellent cans but tuned very differently. With the significant difference in presentation, you really would need to spend a week or more away from whichever is your favorite to fully appreciate the other headphone and to form a substantive opinion of it.

May 9, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #1,849 of 3,605
Amazing agreement! I've tried Audeze at the last three headphone meets, determined that I should like them and augment my collection with one, likely the LCD2. After all, I've loved a wide variety, from Grados through Sennheisers, Sonys, and Beats. I particularly was interested in the Audeze because of their strong bass, a welcome complement to the light bass of my Grados.

But I could not find anything to excite me about them. Three times! Not just the LCD 2, but the higher end ones. Not bad, just "bleah." I had the same reaction to the NAD hp50 and the V-MODA M-100.
Count me in. I started with listening to the Grado GS1000e, then moved over to LCD2. Took me 5-10 minutes to realize I loved the Grados SO much more, it wasn't even worth considering the Audenzes. Then I listened to the PS1000's, and I was sold :)

May 9, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #1,850 of 3,605

Its just that not everyone shares the taste for bright headphones with strongly forward high frequencies. The Audeze are dark and laid back, on the spectrum they'd be absolutely on the opposite side to aggressive, bright and fun/energetic cans like the Grado GS/PS/RS lines. On the same page, a lot of people might not listen to the same music that you might, so therefore Audeze might suit their tastes better. Its easy to see that not everyone shares your criteria for what makes a great headphone, and it has nothing to do with just thinking they are overpriced - as to a lot of Hifiman, Audeze, Sennheiser owners think the PS1000 are overpriced and not up to it.

I'm don't want to come across as someone knocking Grado though, the PS1000 has been on my list to get for a long time and I easily prefer bright headphones. I love the big energetic verve the PS1000 have. Just that both companies have their merits.

I've owned both the PS1000 and the LCD3 for several years. I like the Audeze much more and they get 98% of my head time. That doesn't make me right or someone who prefers the PS1000 wrong, it simply highlights how important personal preference and sound signature familiarity is.

Taking anyone's personal preference and using it to claim the other headphone is "overpriced" or "a poor performer" is being myopic. They are both excellent cans but tuned very differently. With the significant difference in presentation, you really would need to spend a week or more away from whichever is your favorite to fully appreciate the other headphone and to form a substantive opinion of it.

I totally understand both of your points, and I'm well aware that everyone has their preferences when it comes to what they like. I was just stating my opiniongy opinion on the Audeze LCD-X. I also understand they are two totally different sounding HP's…but too me (once again) its like your not hearing any detail/clarity/excitement at all from the LCD-X, and I feel you can find this from a much less expensive HP. I listened too them for about 2 weeks and couldn't find a single thing about them that were for me…at all. [size=x-small]Like I stated in my original post, I'm not here trying to insult any Audeze owners at all.[/size] to each his own, [size=x-small]there just not for me, so don't take it personal, please… sound preference is very subjective. [/size]
size]

May 9, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #1,851 of 3,605

I totally understand both of your points, and I'm well aware that everyone has their preferences when it comes to what they like. I was just stating my opiniongy opinion on the Audeze LCD-X. I also understand they are two totally different sounding HP's…but too me (once again) its like your not hearing any detail/clarity/excitement at all from the LCD-X, and I feel you can find this from a much less expensive HP. I listened too them for about 2 weeks and couldn't find a single thing about them that were for me…at all. [size=x-small]Like I stated in my original post, I'm not here trying to insult any Audeze owners at all.[/size] to each his own, [size=x-small]there just not for me, so don't take it personal, please… sound preference is very subjective. [/size]
size]

I hear you. I just think your comment on the LCDs being overpriced was out of bounds. I could easily say the same about the PS1000 if my personal preference was the only criteria used. (Not saying they are, just making a point)

I haven't found significantly less expensive headphones that can deliver what the LCDs do. I'm wondering what amp you used when listening to the LCDs. If it's your WA6, that could explain a lot as it really isn't powerful enough to get the best out of the Audeze cans. You might appreciate them more from your GS1.

I actually find the LCD3 more detailed than the PS1000 - for me, the emphasis on treble in the PS1000s covers up a lot of detail. But again, that's just my personal preference. As always, YMMV

May 9, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #1,852 of 3,605
I hear you. I just think your comment on the LCDs being overpriced was out of bounds. I could easily say the same about the PS1000 if my personal preference was the only criteria used. (Not saying they are, just making a point)

I'm wondering what amp you used when listening to the LCDs. If it's your WA6, that could explain a lot as it really isn't powerful enough to get the best out of the Audeze cans. You might appreciate them more from your GS1.

I actually find the LCD3 more detailed than the PS1000 - for me, the emphasis on treble in the PS1000s covers up a lot of detail. But again, that's just my personal preference. As always, YMMV

Your right, I shouldn't have mentioned the price, but…I paid almost $2K for them and had much higher expectations from all of the praise they get, thats all. And yes, the same can be said about the price of the PS1K's (or any HP's price) if their not for ones preference. At the time I had the Burson Soloist which is plenty powerful for the LCD-X. I didn't even try them with the WA6, I use the WA6 pretty much for my RS1i's specifically. 

May 9, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #1,853 of 3,605

I'm wondering what amp you used when listening to the LCDs. If it's your WA6, that could explain a lot as it really isn't powerful enough to get the best out of the Audeze cans. You might appreciate them more from your GS1.

Your right, I shouldn't have mentioned the price, but…I paid almost $2K for them and had much higher expectations from all of the praise they get, thats all. And yes, the same can be said about the price of the PS1K's (or any HP's price) if their not for ones preference. At the time I had the Burson Soloist which is plenty powerful for the LCD-X. I didn't even try them with the WA6, I use the WA6 pretty much for my RS1i's specifically. 

I would think the Soloist would be more than sufficient, so they obviously don't fit what you're looking for in a headphone - not surprising given the difference in presentation between the two cans we're discussing. I guess that's why there is more than one brand of headphones and many different sound signatures are available. :).

May 9, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #1,854 of 3,605
I would think the Soloist would be more than sufficient, so they obviously don't fit what you're looking for in a headphone - not surprising given the difference in presentation between the two cans we're discussing. I guess that's why there is more than one brand of headphones and many different sound signatures are available.
smily_headphones1.gif

I can only reiterate what I said before.  It's a matter of mood and music choice.  I've loved the Grado sound since I bought my 325i set.  I've recently had a financial chance to go to an end-game setup with my 1000e, Xs and my Angies; driven by a simple Hugo.  Maybe all these HPs and IEMs are overpriced, but I don't think so.  I refuse to beat anyone up over their choices.

May 9, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #1,855 of 3,605
The thing i am quite curious about is when there are people that really don't like the PS1000e, Is it becuase they have a defective/Worse sounding pair, Or becuase it doesn't fit their taste.
Becuase i have seen two negative reviews on Amazon, And i can't believe people can actually dislike them.

May 9, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #1,856 of 3,605
The thing i am quite curious about is when there are people that really don't like the PS1000e, Is it becuase they have a defective/Worse sounding pair, Or becuase it doesn't fit their taste.
Becuase i have seen two negative reviews on Amazon, And i can't believe people can actually dislike them.

Maybe it's that they bought the PS1000 and are now mad that there's a new model? :p

May 9, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #1,857 of 3,605
I would think the Soloist would be more than sufficient, so they obviously don't fit what you're looking for in a headphone - not surprising given the difference in presentation between the two cans we're discussing. I guess that's why there is more than one brand of headphones and many different sound signatures are available.
smily_headphones1.gif

The Soloist drove them just fine…its just that they weren't for me.
Absolutely.
size]

There's plenty of people that don't like the PS1K's…like we've been discussing, it comes down too personal preference.

May 9, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #1,858 of 3,605
there are folks who like both the ps1000, and the lcd x    
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back