PS1000 Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #1,651 of 3,605
  Do you know where i can get one? I need it for when i am on a holiday and i want to take the grados for example. I have to put them in some sort of a protective case. I would prefer something better built than the grado pizza box.

Some decent looking cases on Ebay....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grado-PS1000-and-GS1000i-Headphone-Case-/390954694090?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5b06b735ca

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #1,652 of 3,605
Thanks, I`ve just bought it before you posted it. Those headphones deserve some protection!
I am still very uncertain of what dac/amp i should get, Since almost every person recommends a different one..
I would love to hear more opinions. Thanks

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #1,653 of 3,605
  Thanks. Yes, The mid-bass was very emphasised with the PS1000, And i personally didn't like it as it wasn't neutral, And i do listen to instrumenta music the most.
THe only thing that draws me back from buying a grado amp is that it looks so simple, Like a wooden box with a couple of transistors. Do Grado really know how to build headphone amps? Because it's actually a "side thing" for them.
Anyway, Keep letting me know what you use, It's a lot of help for for me!
I am also looking for a case for the PS1000e. Do you know where i can get one? I need it for when i am on a holiday and i want to take the grados for example. I have to put them in some sort of a protective case. I would prefer something better built than the grado pizza box.
Thank you and it's really good to be back!

@GustavMahler

Pick your poison:

Grado Labs states that the RA1 is the reincarnation of the HPA1.

Several folks on other threads express shock and awe that the CMOY amp is the same as the RA1, yet costs less than 1/6 the price.  They also all admit that both the RA1 and the CMOY sound good with Grados!

I have all three.  All three sound Good.

Do they all sound the same?

I dunno!  Pretty darn close!

Oh, and some eye candy for storing your PS1000es:

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #1,655 of 3,605
  Hi everyone!
So i got my PS1000e and they're spectacular!
Now i am in the hunt for a good desktop dac/amp. I have the DX90 DAP, But i think i can benefit from the sound quality of a high quality desktop setup.
What do you use? Just feed me with some info, I'll probably not be able to audition it.
Thanks

Congrats on the PS1000e! I am using the Resonessence Labs Concero HP, which is a pretty amazing little dac / amp. I thoroughly read reviews on may amps in a similar price range and only found rave reviews. I believe MacedonianHero has one as well, per recent posts. It's a very honest little unit, very smooth, yet revealing. I'd highly recommend you check this out, easily transportable with a laptop as well. Note that I have the PS500e, not it's bigger brother.

http://www.resonessencelabs.com/concero/

One of many positive reviews:

http://www.headfonia.com/resonessence-concero-hp-canadian-dacamp/

Best of luck.

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #1,657 of 3,605
  Thanks. Yes, The mid-bass was very emphasised with the PS1000, And i personally didn't like it as it wasn't neutral, And i do listen to instrumenta music the most.
THe only thing that draws me back from buying a grado amp is that it looks so simple, Like a wooden box with a couple of transistors. Do Grado really know how to build headphone amps? Because it's actually a "side thing" for them.
Anyway, Keep letting me know what you use, It's a lot of help for for me!
I am also looking for a case for the PS1000e. Do you know where i can get one? I need it for when i am on a holiday and i want to take the grados for example. I have to put them in some sort of a protective case. I would prefer something better built than the grado pizza box.
Thank you and it's really good to be back!

I've always been leery of the RA1.  $395 seems a lot to pay for this:

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #1,658 of 3,605
Yes, I've seen this before, That's why i am too not so eager to get it.
What i want is a dac/amp to produce a natural, grand, Spacious sound for big symphonic music, But i don't want the sound to be "blurry" and undefined.
I want it to sound brilliant when the music demands it. But i want it to be spacious.
I am afraid that a tube amp will sound too "undefined" and slow, But i know it's supposed to sound very analoge, And i like that.
I don't know which way to go

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #1,659 of 3,605
  Yes, I've seen this before, That's why i am too not so eager to get it.
What i want is a dac/amp to produce a natural, grand, Spacious sound for big symphonic music, But i don't want the sound to be "blurry" and undefined.
I want it to sound brilliant when the music demands it. But i want it to be spacious.
I am afraid that a tube amp will sound too "undefined" and slow, But i know it's supposed to sound very analoge, And i like that.
I don't know which way to go

I liked my Bryston BHA-1 when I had it with my PS1000s.  You can get a pretty good deal on a used one if you look around.
Apparently, the PS1000 was one of a few headphones they used to voice the BHA-1.

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #1,660 of 3,605
Thanks, I'll look into it.
Everyone seems to suggest solid state amps, Do you really prefer it over tubes with the PS1000e?
I don't have much experience with desktop setups so i don't have an opinion myself

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #1,661 of 3,605
  Thanks, I'll look into it.
Everyone seems to suggest solid state amps, Do you really prefer it over tubes with the PS1000e?
I don't have much experience with desktop setups so i don't have an opinion myself

I had a hard time finding the right tube combination with the PS1000's for my Woo Audio WA6-SE.  Finally settled on 6FD7s and the Sophia Princess.  It's the only headphones I like the SP with, as its warmer presentation helps to keep the treble of my PS1000's controlled.

Apr 3, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #1,665 of 3,605
  Grado Labs states that the RA1 is the reincarnation of the HPA1.

Several folks on other threads express shock and awe that the CMOY amp is the same as the RA1, yet costs less than 1/6 the price.  They also all admit that both the RA1 and the CMOY sound good with Grados!

I have all three.  All three sound Good.

Do they all sound the same?

I dunno!  Pretty darn close!

Oh, and some eye candy for storing your PS1000es:

I just can't quite understand why anyone would want to buy the Grado amps (besides matching the Grado name/aesthetics with your Grado HP's) if they can purchase the C-Moy at such an inexpensive price? And like yourself, most say that there is very little difference in SQ…if any.
I just don't get it? 
confused_face_2.gif

Quote:

I had a hard time finding the right tube combination with the PS1000's for my Woo Audio WA6-SE.  Finally settled on 6FD7s and the Sophia Princess.  It's the only headphones I like the SP with, as its warmer presentation helps to keep the treble of my PS1000's controlled.

I had exactly the same issue when I owned the 6-SE…and also settled on the 6FD7 (Big Bottles) and the 596. 
I actually like my WA6 with the 595 or Brimar and some 6SN7's 100x better with my PS1K's…but prefer the GS-1 overall. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back