PS1000 Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #1,666 of 3,605
I just can't quite understand why anyone would want to buy the Grado amps (besides matching the Grado name/aesthetics with your Grado HP's) if they can purchase the C-Moy at such an inexpensive price? And like yourself, most say that there is very little difference in SQ…if any.
I just don't get it? 
confused_face_2.gif

Several possible reasons include:

1. Ignorance (I didn't KNOW the $60 amp sounded so close to the $400 amp)
  2. Sizzle (I LIKE the wood case matching my Grados, just like I LIKE my Parrot Zik 2.0 Wireless) -- they each look Great!
  3. Loyalty (If it says Grado, it's GOT to be good!)
  4. Synergy (Grado headphone? Grado amp.  Just like Sennheiser headphone?  Sennheiser amp.  Beyer headphone? Beyer amp).

All reasons apply to me, and I am ecstatic about EACH of my three amps, the $1,000 one, the $400 one, and the $60 one.  In addition, ALL are portable and can be driven by their own battery, and they are smaller than the typical desk-sized amp. 

I also compare all of these, at least casually, to what is one of the best reference systems around, my Sennheiser HD 800 headphones driven by my Sennheiser HDVD 800 DAC/amp.

Is there a clear drop in quality?  NO!  There is as I move to lower-cost Grado headphones, but if I use my PS1000s, then there are no marked quality differences as compared with the Sennheiser regardless of which of the three amps I am driving the Grados with (this is all presuming good batteries!  The batteries announce their impending demise by distorting high volumes at first, well before any of the lights on the three amps start to dim.  Once I was sure I had found my $400 Grado to be better than my $60 CMOY, but then changed the CMOY battery and the difference evaporated!)

Apr 3, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #1,667 of 3,605
  Several possible reasons include:

1. Ignorance (I didn't KNOW the $60 amp sounded so close to the $400 amp)
  2. Sizzle (I LIKE the wood case matching my Grados, just like I LIKE my Parrot Zik 2.0 Wireless) -- they each look Great!
  3. Loyalty (If it says Grado, it's GOT to be good!)
  4. Synergy (Grado headphone? Grado amp.  Just like Sennheiser headphone?  Sennheiser amp.  Beyer headphone? Beyer amp).

Yes, I can understand about having the matching HP/amp to go with each other. And that is a great point about all 3 amps being battery operated for portable use, but I just can't swallow paying $940.00 more for an amp that sounds the same as a $60.00 amp…but then again, I'm thinking if the shoe was on the other foot, and I owned the HP-1, I might also look beyond the price difference just to have the matching amp…maybe. So like I said, the only real advantage (as far as I've read) is the aesthetics/ matching Grado amp…which is cool, I guess. 
smile.gif

Apr 3, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #1,668 of 3,605

Grado Labs states that the RA1 is the reincarnation of the HPA1.

Several folks on other threads express shock and awe that the CMOY amp is the same as the RA1, yet costs less than 1/6 the price.  They also all admit that both the RA1 and the CMOY sound good with Grados!

I have all three.  All three sound Good.

Do they all sound the same?

I dunno!  Pretty darn close!

Oh, and some eye candy for storing your PS1000es:

I just can't quite understand why anyone would want to buy the Grado amps (besides matching the Grado name/aesthetics with your Grado HP's) if they can purchase the C-Moy at such an inexpensive price? And like yourself, most say that there is very little difference in SQ…if any.
I just don't get it? 
confused_face_2.gif

Quote:

I had a hard time finding the right tube combination with the PS1000's for my Woo Audio WA6-SE.  Finally settled on 6FD7s and the Sophia Princess.  It's the only headphones I like the SP with, as its warmer presentation helps to keep the treble of my PS1000's controlled.

I had exactly the same issue when I owned the 6-SE…and also settled on the 6FD7 (Big Bottles) and the 596. 
I actually like my WA6 with the 595 or Brimar and some 6SN7's 100x better with my PS1K's…but prefer the GS-1 overall. 
smile.gif

I think it has more to do with the Grado name being on it ,more than anything else....because the insides are nothing special at all.

Apr 3, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #1,670 of 3,605

I think it has more to do with the Grado name being on it ,more than anything else....because the insides are nothing special at all.

Right!
This is why if it was me, I don't really know if I would buy the Grado for such a huge price difference if its the same SQ. 
confused_face(1).gif

Trust me, I know what you are saying....you can buy a c-moy kit for $30....Here is the inside of mine.

You use to be able to buy a kit with these parts, for like $20...you probably still can, and have it together in less than a couple hours....even if you are new at it.

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #1,672 of 3,605
Just an update:
I forgot to mention that i like to have portability. Sometimes i want to listen in my room, And sometimes in the garden.
So i need a pretty portable dac/amp (Not really portable, But something i can move) and that can connect to my laptop.
What do you think would be a good solution?

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #1,673 of 3,605
What do you think of the Woo Audio WA7? It seems nice-It is small, It looks beautiful, Not too expensive, And it has a USB input.
Also, Is there another common digital output in laptops, Or it's mainly USB?

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #1,675 of 3,605
  Thanks. Yes, The mid-bass was very emphasised with the PS1000, And i personally didn't like it as it wasn't neutral, And i do listen to instrumenta music the most.
THe only thing that draws me back from buying a grado amp is that it looks so simple, Like a wooden box with a couple of transistors. Do Grado really know how to build headphone amps? Because it's actually a "side thing" for them.
Anyway, Keep letting me know what you use, It's a lot of help for for me!
I am also looking for a case for the PS1000e. Do you know where i can get one? I need it for when i am on a holiday and i want to take the grados for example. I have to put them in some sort of a protective case. I would prefer something better built than the grado pizza box.
Thank you and it's really good to be back!

Not sure if the MAD Ear+HD has been mentioned yet, but it is spectacular with Grado headphones!

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #1,677 of 3,605
  But i won't be able to use it with my laptop.. I need to move it from the living room, My room and the garden.
Don't you think the chord hugo is a good solution? (Besides the price..)

Are you looking for an amp/dac one-stop solution? The Concero HP is fantastic with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back