PS1000 Impressions Thread
Mar 5, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #1,531 of 3,605
I had the DACT on my Soloist, and hated it at first, but then really got use to it after realizing how its made and balances the channels.
:xf_eek:  Good thing because I ordered the Dynalo+ Modules over a month ago, and I was told about a week.
No problem, drop in anytime! Also would like to hear your impressions after burn-in, and what amp your using them with.
Congratulations on your PS1Ke's…enjoy!
:beerchug:

You didn't know that you need to use the same conversion formula with Justin's delivery time estimates that you use to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit? Multiply by 9/5 and add 32 days :smile:

The good news is, they will arrive eventually and you're really going to be happy.

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #1,532 of 3,605
  I would like to know more about the sugar maple sidewinder also.

I emailed Loyd at Mapletree and he said that either the Ear+ HD or the Sidewinder should be equally good with the PS1000 ...

From the email:  "While the sonic character of all the Mapletree headphone amps has much in common (they use the same output circuit topology) there are subtle differences. I am copying this to Al Freundorfer who is responsible for the design and build of the Sidewinder. He will provide more information.

With your Grados, I am confident you will be happy with either the Ear+ HD or SugarMaple Sidewinder."

I'll most likely end up getting one of those two ...

Mar 5, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #1,533 of 3,605
  there was also one (Gs-1)  on ebay a couple weeks ago, but I was outbid. 
frown.gif

Yes, I had that one in my watch list…someone got that for a good price, I was surprised to see it had no reserve.

Mar 6, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #1,536 of 3,605
Mar 6, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #1,538 of 3,605
I emailed Loyd at Mapletree and he said that either the Ear+ HD or the Sidewinder should be equally good with the PS1000 ...

From the email:  "While the sonic character of all the Mapletree headphone amps has much in common (they use the same output circuit topology) there are subtle differences. I am copying this to Al Freundorfer who is responsible for the design and build of the Sidewinder. He will provide more information.

With your Grados, I am confident you will be happy with either the Ear+ HD or SugarMaple Sidewinder."

I have the MAD Ear+ HD. The pairing with the Grado PS1000'was so good it stopped me from buying the Apex Pinnacle, which was one of the few amps that came close, not in price though at $10,000 vs. $750. A word of caution: the MAD Ear does not perform equally well with other HPs.

Mar 7, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #1,540 of 3,605

I only had about $775 to spend. whoever won it, got it for like $776!
biggrin.gif

Don't ya just hate that...

I used an "ebay auction sniper "(for the first time), so that help alleviate the pain tremendously! it would've been terrible if I'd been sitting there at the end of the auction watching the seconds tick away and then trying to bid frantically to no avail! 
tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

Never fails 

ha!

biggrin.gif

The trouble is that if you had $776, the winner would have had it for $777...

for sure! i knew I couldn't win this one, but I live to fight another day! 
biggrin.gif

I have the MAD Ear+ HD. The pairing with the Grado PS1000'was so good it stopped me from buying the Apex Pinnacle, which was one of the few amps that came close, not in price though at $10,000 vs. $750. A word of caution: the MAD Ear does not perform equally well with other HPs.

I too have the Mad Ear+ HD and been very happy with it. I've been trying out several Mid-fi DACs to pair with my PS1K and found the Bifrost Uber to have the best synergy with the Mad Ear+ HD and PS1000.
I sold my first Uberfrost awhile back, and then bought another one about three weeks ago. The damned thing has been ignored sitting at my desk right in front of me for the most part till yesterday. I also have the Meier Daccord and a Concero HP which I found to be better then the Bifrost, that's the reason I was ignoring it. I'm sure glad I decided to fire it up again(bifrost) and give it a go without doing comparisons and just listening to music. Man, what an enjoyable combo! I am happy once again, and I look forward to listening to my desktop rig!
gs1000.gif

Mar 7, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #1,541 of 3,605

I sold my first Uberfrost awhile back, and then bought another one about three weeks ago. The damned thing has been ignored sitting at my desk right in front of me for the most part till yesterday. 

I just did the same thing myself…I've had a Rega DAC for well over 6 months that I listened to for 1 night, and I didn't care for it initially, but never give it a chance either. I guess I was so used to using my Meridian-203 since 1991 between my speaker system (which I no longer have) then with my HP system so its sound was what I was very used too. But I hooked the Rega up a little over 1 week ago, and I know realize what I was missing in my music.The Rega (filter # 1 so far) definitely has a different tone than the Meridians more aggressive/forward tone (which I do also like). The Rega with its smooth/analog warm sound/much bigger sound-stage and instrument separation is beautiful! I heared this with the Meridian, but it is now are now much more clearer...much clearer. I'm hearing clarity/details in songs that I've listened to 1000x's and never heard before. It is amazing how a DAC can impact the sound, which I wasn't really aware of until now to be quite honest…I was always concentrating on my HP's/amp much, much more. So far, for the little over a week I've listened with the Rega. I'm even more impressed with my system! Good thing I took it out of the closet and tried it again, and didn't just sell it.
I also had the Bitfrost (Uber) which I liked very much, I thought it had great synergy with the Grado's…but the muting relay didn't play well at all with my Sony Cd player, so I had to return it due to the relay opening/closing between songs and while in pause mode…the relay would go nuts!!!

Mar 7, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #1,542 of 3,605
I haven't read most of the thread, yet.  So I was wondering if anyone tried them with the Ragnarok?
Secondly, does Grado have some sort of carrying case?  I believe the RS1s had a walnut case for them.

Mar 7, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #1,543 of 3,605
  I haven't read most of the thread, yet.  So I was wondering if anyone tried them with the Ragnarok?
Secondly, does Grado have some sort of carrying case?  I believe the RS1s had a walnut case for them.

Grado does sell wood cases for their HP's, but I wouldn't call them "carrying cases" in any way.
They're cases to store your HP' in while not in use.

Mar 7, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #1,544 of 3,605

I own an OD300 with the stepped attenuator option since this summer. I have been using it with my Fostex TH-900s. I will spend some time with my PS-1000s(not e version) on it and report back on the results.  One week after I ordered it Al emailed me pictures of the build in progress and the next week he shipped it to me, so its not the uber long wait time like some of the small amp building shops. On the mapletree website the frequency response graph is quite linear into low impedance headphones which is what got my attention. I find it to have all the benefits or musicality of tubes without the anomalies I've heard in other some other tube designs(rolled off highs, swollen midbass, lack of detail). I'm listening to it as I type this, for the price I think its a bargain.

Mar 7, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #1,545 of 3,605
Grado does sell wood cases for their HP's, but I wouldn't call them "carrying cases" in any way.
They're cases to store your HP' in while not in use.

I've only seen these wooden cases listed at the Grado franchise store 4OurEars. And if you actually try to order one, they say it is out of stock. And if you ask when it will be back, your answer is...

There are leather cases with shoulder straps, for example on Amazon and eBay.

But I'd really like the wood!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back