post your grado mods....
Sep 2, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #3,886 of 8,992
Quote:
I will tell you this: my first two hours without the Y-Cable have been amazing! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Congrats!

Sep 2, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #3,887 of 8,992
Just FYI if anyone wants to accelerate the break in of the G-cush or angle them, crush half of each pad under a stack of books or a box leave em' be 4+ hrs and boom angled pads... to undo the change wash and they fluff back up. (the angle and brings the driver closer to the ear making the cans less distant sounding) To simulate push the cups into your face while listening. I also push them in BEFORE I start listening them to get them to sit where I want them to.

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #3,888 of 8,992
Can someone post a picture of the mounting system of the L-Cush? Basically the back of the pads where your ears don't go lol. Thanks!!

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #3,889 of 8,992
Quote:
Haha! What glue did you use also?

I think that might be the answer for all the confusion on the part of westinlennox.  
biggrin.gif

It was the glue that did it.  He sniffed the fumes for too long.  Thousands of brain cells have been destroyed.  If he's young, they will grow back.  If he has a few years on him ... well, then he'll be a few short.  
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #3,890 of 8,992
Quote:

I think that might be the answer for all the confusion on the part of westinlennox.  
biggrin.gif

It was the glue that did it.  He sniffed the fumes for too long.  Thousands of brain cells have been destroyed.  If he's young, they will grow back.  If he has a few years on him ... well, then he'll be a few short.  
wink.gif

Ha! Should I not have been directly inhaling the glue? I missed that memo 
wink.gif
 I am in my twenties, so I hope I will make it through this one 
etysmile.gif

Sep 3, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #3,892 of 8,992
How do you even make wood cups?

Sep 3, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #3,893 of 8,992
It is tricky to find decent ones at a good price these days. Martin Custom Audio is the best (but also the most expensive I believe). I actually found a local wood turner and got him to make me a pair.

They are the cheapest and best I have had this far. Working with him also had the added bonus of being able to specify design...

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #3,894 of 8,992
Also don't forget about Vibro-labs/Turbulent-labs they make a beautiful (classic) wooden cup for $110.00U.S. I put them on my SR80i's, and they are really, really nice!!!
You must liberate the drivers.

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #3,895 of 8,992
Quote:
Hey, would any of you happen to have any ideas on where to source good wood for Grado cups?  I am having the hardest time finding anything that isn't a $75 sheet of mahogany plywood! Thanks in advance.

Yew Audio used to have some, but his website is offline at the moment as it seems he may be revamping his offerings.

Hopefully he still offers custom wood plugs when all is said and done...  I may email him for some reassurance, actually.

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #3,897 of 8,992
Sep 3, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #3,900 of 8,992
Quote:
That is a great article, and is what I am planning on using when I start my project.  The trouble I have run into is finding the wood for the project.

The problem with this guy’s method is he cuts on one side and then flips the wood over and his cut has to meet up with the cut he made on the other side. This is very hard to do freehand. Even with a drill press and a drill press vise it's hard to perfectly line up your wood to meet up with your cut on the other side.

The best to do it is to make all your cuts on only one side. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back