post your grado mods....
Sep 2, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #3,871 of 8,992
Is it easy to install a female 3.5mm? Does it have the same basic layout as a male 3.5mm?

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #3,872 of 8,992

That should work.  I'm not sure about the quality of that particular connector from Radio Shack.  However, if you do use it, apply some super glue on the inside of your cup to assist with holding it in place.

Thanks for the quick answer! Yeah I am more just trying to test the waters with this connector, if it works and I like it I will probably upgrade it at some point.  Good tip with the super glue as well!

Is it easy to install a female 3.5mm? Does it have the same basic layout as a male 3.5mm?

It looks to be an even easier solder job than the male plug, as there are not as many space constraints.  Very simple!

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #3,874 of 8,992
Quote:
Thanks for the quick answer! Yeah I am more just trying to test the waters with this connector, if it works and I like it I will probably upgrade it at some point.  Good tip with the super glue as well!

It looks to be an even easier solder job than the male plug, as there are not as many space constraints.  Very simple!

Actually, that Radio Shack connector seems about on-par with that of the Fostex T50RP.  We certainly know that there are plenty of those headphones in circulation.  About the only downfall of the female connector on the Fostex T50RP was a slight bit of corrosion inside of the connector.  At one time or another, most users have had to apply a quick shot of Deoxit.  Also, I think before the Mad Dogs ship out to the buyer, Dan sprays each connector with Deoxit so there are not any issues.  I don't have proof of the Radio Shack connector displaying this type of issue, though.

You're just using the mono version of the plug, right?  Not the TRS version?  This will allow you to keep wires going to both cups, correct?

Thanks,

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #3,876 of 8,992
Quote:
I actually just finished it up, and I went the single-side route using the TRS connector, so it is now detachable stereo from the right ear cup. I just ran a connection through the headband.

Congrats man! Pictures?!:D

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #3,877 of 8,992
Yep, here you go! This is the first step in a series of modifications (hopefully).  I removed the "Y-cable" and added a removable stereo jack to the right side of the Grados.  I can't decide whether I should build my own cable, or adapt the cable I just removed, so I haven't done anything in that regard yet.  I have an old cable from a pair of long-gone Crossfade LPs that I can use in the meantime.  Future plans include new headband, and maybe wood cups, if I can work up the courage to take that step!  
blink.gif

I work slowly, but I will try to post updates whenever I get around to moving on with my plans! 

EDIT: I just noticed the flowers in the second picture, I promise I was not intentionally going for the artsy look :)

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #3,878 of 8,992
Since you're doing mono plugs, shouldn't you have the plugs on both sides? Or am I wrong?

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #3,880 of 8,992
Quote:
Quote:
Since you're doing mono plugs, shouldn't you have the plugs on both sides? Or am I wrong?

Nope, I actually did a stereo plug.  The wire you see running over the top where the new headband will (someday) be bridges the left driver to the connector.  For mono plugs, you would need one on each side though.

"I removed the "Y-cable" and added a removable mono jack to the right side of the Grados." Your a liar!!;D

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #3,884 of 8,992
Quote:
Quote:
Haha! What glue did you use also?

This connector actually came with a screw-on ring, and that plus the overlap of the outer cup holds the connector in place quite nicely.  If your connector doesn't have this, however, I have seen superglue used quite effectively. wje above recommended the same thing.

Wow, very nice! I may do that with my next grado!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back