post your grado mods....
Apr 1, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #2,884 of 8,992
Edit-

I too would like to see those oblong headphones on a persons head.

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #2,887 of 8,992
How did you get the brackets to fit or did you make custom ones. I am using the same cups.I listened to them and they sound very good big wide sound stage and awesome bass , focus, vocals are crystal clear.

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #2,888 of 8,992
I am about to receive a pair of woodies from Martin custom audio. They are quite particular.

I sent him drivers from a pair of vintage Joseph Grado SR-325, one from the bunch who had Black Star drivers in them (the same as the famous HP1000 - pictures here: http://www.martincustomaudio.com/2012/10/ehrmagosh-look-at-these.html).

I also asked him to build a pair of discs on which I could mount different sets of pads, such as the Lawton Audio Denon leather pads, the JMoney leather pads for Denon and Beyerdynamic, as well as the HiFiMAN & Beyerdynamic stock velour and pleather pads, and even the Stax O2 pads. Martin came up with another idea, which was to make a set of cups that would act as the discs themselves. He used Hormigo, a rare South American wood known as the "wood that sings".

I also asked him to install mini 4-pin XLR sockets on the cups, so that the cable could be swapped like on the LCD-2/3. I have a TWag V2 cable and SAA Endorphin to try on them. I also took the stock cable, JGSUWBRC, and installed LCD-2/3 connectors on it. I sent him TWag V2 wire that I had to connect the socket pins with the drivers.

The gimbals/rodblocks are Martin's black-anodized aluminium, and the headband is either the JMoney Audio or Onyx Manta; I can't recall which one I sent for him to use.

Here are a few pics of the near-final product. Martin still has to install the connectors and drivers.

I originally ordered him a pair of Padauk cups, but it turned out the HP1000 drivers are slightly larger than the current ones, and so they didn't fit. He offered me to keep both for a small extra, and so I'll be making another set with them. I bought the black powder-coated aluminium gimbals that were for sale in the For Sale forums, and ordered a headband from the JMoney Christmas giveaway/sale. I'll order a set of the new V5 Magnum drivers and build a DHC cable to put on. Here are some pics from when they were supposed to house the Black Star drivers: http://www.martincustomaudio.com/2012/10/padauk-with-legendary-black-stars-and.html

I'll post my impressions of the creation when I receive it. I've never heard of anyone modding a pair of HP1000 in such way in the past, so I have no idea what they'll sound like. I hope the sound quality will be as good as the HP1000, but with a slightly warmer signature to complement my HE-6, and perhaps a larger soundstage from the extra-thickness in some of the pads. I will have the Bryston BHA-1 to test it out with, as well as the Joseph Grado HPA-2, a rare amplifier that was built to pair with the HP1000 back in the days (this amp is older than me!). 

*clap...clap...clap...* You have just won the best Grado headphone award. Do you sell these?

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #2,891 of 8,992
I am about to receive a pair of woodies from Martin custom audio. They are quite particular.

I sent him drivers from a pair of vintage Joseph Grado SR-325, one from the bunch who had Black Star drivers in them (the same as the famous HP1000 - pictures here: http://www.martincustomaudio.com/2012/10/ehrmagosh-look-at-these.html).

I also asked him to build a pair of discs on which I could mount different sets of pads, such as the Lawton Audio Denon leather pads, the JMoney leather pads for Denon and Beyerdynamic, as well as the HiFiMAN & Beyerdynamic stock velour and pleather pads, and even the Stax O2 pads. Martin came up with another idea, which was to make a set of cups that would act as the discs themselves. He used Hormigo, a rare South American wood known as the "wood that sings".

I also asked him to install mini 4-pin XLR sockets on the cups, so that the cable could be swapped like on the LCD-2/3. I have a TWag V2 cable and SAA Endorphin to try on them. I also took the stock cable, JGSUWBRC, and installed LCD-2/3 connectors on it. I sent him TWag V2 wire that I had to connect the socket pins with the drivers.

The gimbals/rodblocks are Martin's black-anodized aluminium, and the headband is either the JMoney Audio or Onyx Manta; I can't recall which one I sent for him to use.

Here are a few pics of the near-final product. Martin still has to install the connectors and drivers.

I originally ordered him a pair of Padauk cups, but it turned out the HP1000 drivers are slightly larger than the current ones, and so they didn't fit. He offered me to keep both for a small extra, and so I'll be making another set with them. I bought the black powder-coated aluminium gimbals that were for sale in the For Sale forums, and ordered a headband from the JMoney Christmas giveaway/sale. I'll order a set of the new V5 Magnum drivers and build a DHC cable to put on. Here are some pics from when they were supposed to house the Black Star drivers: http://www.martincustomaudio.com/2012/10/padauk-with-legendary-black-stars-and.html

I'll post my impressions of the creation when I receive it. I've never heard of anyone modding a pair of HP1000 in such way in the past, so I have no idea what they'll sound like. I hope the sound quality will be as good as the HP1000, but with a slightly warmer signature to complement my HE-6, and perhaps a larger soundstage from the extra-thickness in some of the pads. I will have the Bryston BHA-1 to test it out with, as well as the Joseph Grado HPA-2, a rare amplifier that was built to pair with the HP1000 back in the days (this amp is older than me!). 

*clap...clap...clap...* You have just won the best Grado headphone award. Do you sell these?

How did you buy from JMoney? I thought they ceased to exist almost a year ago. Did their site change, or am I just doing something wrong here?

Apr 4, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #2,893 of 8,992
Quote:
How did you buy from JMoney? I thought they ceased to exist almost a year ago. Did their site change, or am I just doing something wrong here?

Good observation! (Absolutely, but) He bought it from the close out sale in late 2012 / early 2013, I'm pretty sure there's nothing left though :/

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #2,894 of 8,992
I just placed an order for igrado's, the black sheep of the grado family.

I've read about the igrado mods, which involves a quarter mod and/or removing the internal foam cover:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i4.tinypic.com/6ft1d1j.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.head-fi.org/t/237231/igrado-mods&h=389&w=540&sz=50&tbnid=2LdnyaaNuOGgEM:&tbnh=94&tbnw=131&zoom=1&usg=__ZGSBb3yUvwHuK05AgHfB6v9bVm0=&docid=p1-EUR-ShBu5hM&sa=X&ei=wy5eUd2hKOKnigL2tYD4Dw&ved=0CEYQ9QEwAg&dur=260

However, I've also read that grado has changed the design of the igrado, so that the foam cover is no longer used. Can anyone verify?

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #2,895 of 8,992
@newphones

Sorry - can't answer your question - but would be interested in your impression of them when you get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back