• removed old cable
  • added mono jacks to bottom
  • Litz round braid removable cord
  • A bit of green paint for a custom look
  • Felt behind driver and around cup to control treble

20130109img1478.jpg

Those look nice.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #2,733 of 8,992
Where's you get the mono jacks? That's exactly what I want to do to my SR-80i's. (the cord part) also, where did you get the cable?

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #2,734 of 8,992
Oh you mean the cup yokes? These recent cups fit right in without any plastic forming of the yoke. A bit less room between the cup and the plastic when compared to the stock cups, but they still swivel some.

My Sr-80i padauk cups required some heating and reforming though. I also cut those yokes after the pivot pin.

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #2,735 of 8,992
Quote:
Hey guys,

I have a pair of modded SR-80's:
  • pleather pads over L-Cush foam pads
  • Custom Black mesh
  • 4 holes punctured in felt for better base
  • removed old cable
  • added mono jacks to bottom
  • Litz round braid removable cord
  • A bit of green paint for a custom look
  • Felt behind driver and around cup to control treble

20130109img1478.jpg

look very nice

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #2,737 of 8,992
Yes there 'could' be a difference that is because of the Laurentz effect of a current trough a cable or something. I don't really remember.
Whether you'll hear it is a much discussed subject, this is for cables in general, and that's nothing I can say something about yet. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #2,738 of 8,992
Tiny XLR my ass! It's not that tiny...

tinyxlr.jpg

Quote:
Yes there 'could' be a difference that is because of the Laurentz effect of a current trough a cable or something. I don't really remember.
Whether you'll hear it is a much discussed subject, this is for cables in general, and that's nothing I can say something about yet. 

I'll have a dig through the forums :) Thanks

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #2,739 of 8,992
The litz round braid and flat braid should shield equally well. However, the flat braid is much easier and required less wire.  If you are making a longer cord, do not use the round braid as the extra length may degrade sound--though very minimally. I like the round braid because the sleeving will feel nice and full but it looks great even without it.

My cord is about 6 feet braided and took about 30ft of wire. I used 24 gauge copper wire I believe. You can go with a slightly thinner wire with no problem.

I got the mono jacks at RadioShack.

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #2,740 of 8,992
Quote:
The litz round braid and flat braid should shield equally well. However, the flat braid is much easier and required less wire.  If you are making a longer cord, do not use the round braid as the extra length may degrade sound--though very minimally. I like the round braid because the sleeving will feel nice and full but it looks great even without it.

My cord is about 6 feet braided and took about 30ft of wire. I used 24 gauge copper wire I believe. You can go with a slightly thinner wire with no problem.

I got the mono jacks at RadioShack.

Had to look up 24 gauge wire. I currently have  .25mm2 wire laying here..it falls just short of 23 gauge.
a single strand is 30ft? Or all 4 wires combined?

What would you recommend for a 5-wire braid?

Gawd..I'm looking it up, but what a bunch of happy peppy girls on the tutorials for braiding..giddy! :D

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #2,742 of 8,992
Quote:
as long as we're showing our diy cups, here's some i'm working on for a set of old joe grado drivers model d40 if i'm not mistaken that devouring is giving me out of the kindness of his grado heart. Each of these is a little different overall mass than each other. All in limba.

I call this one the Excelsior XB1000 MKII

This one is called coltrane stardust

here's michael schenker love to love circa 1978

and this set I simply refer to as, the disgruntled carpenter-2013 headfi edition 

btw, I agree, stain has no affect on sound because it doesn't change the wood's properties, but stain is not 'finish'. Maybe that was the confusion. Finish changes the wood's properties without exception. Bang two raw wood cups together and then do it with the same finished cups. Totally different sounds will be heard.

beautiful cup.. i like this design. what kind wood that use there ?

Jan 25, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #2,743 of 8,992
Quote:
beautiful cup.. i like this design. what kind wood that use there ?

He had it in his original post - It's Limba :)

@TheLostMidrange
Have you ever made any GS1000 type cups - so you can set driver back further?

Jan 25, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #2,744 of 8,992
Quote:

He had it in his original post - It's Limba :)

@TheLostMidrange
Have you ever made any GS1000 type cups - so you can set driver back further?

so sory my english very bad. thanks for the correction.. 

this my new batch Mahogany Cup, bamboo and Maple ..

Jan 25, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #2,745 of 8,992
Beautiful work !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back