post your grado mods....
Nov 29, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #2,551 of 8,988

my build :
grado sr 80i
mahoni based housing
cananre l2t2s cable + pailics jack
quarter-mod comfy pads
tack damping on the driver

it's not finish yet, because the conector on Y-splitter is the fake one... sometimes it miss the signal

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #2,552 of 8,988
Today I cut out my Cushion-S hands free, I love the result! I A/B with the bowl and couldn't tell a difference and it is more comfortable than the bowl.
-

-

-
I am very proud of my steady hand :)

Dec 1, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #2,553 of 8,988
Quote:
Today I cut out my Cushion-S hands free, I love the result! I A/B with the bowl and couldn't tell a difference and it is more comfortable than the bowl.
-

-

-
I am very proud of my steady hand :)

I never realized the s cushions held their shape that well, you basically have a flat pad now. I always thought they were more like the little soft cushions that come on almost every other headphone.

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #2,554 of 8,988
They are quite dense actually, more springy than the 414 pad. I had them also previously, not sure where I had left them :)

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #2,555 of 8,988
Hey I'm wondering, how do you guys wear your grados? I notice such a difference when I where them towards my face vs towards my back. Wearing them farther back seems to bring them closer with much more bass, and the forwards seems to bring out the mids and highs a bit. I don't know if that's a placebo effect or not, but it really seems like there is a change with such a slight adjustment on the head. I'm rocking the 414 pads, dunno if that makes the difference or not.

Dec 2, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #2,557 of 8,988
Quote:
Hey I'm wondering, how do you guys wear your grados? I notice such a difference when I where them towards my face vs towards my back. Wearing them farther back seems to bring them closer with much more bass, and the forwards seems to bring out the mids and highs a bit. I don't know if that's a placebo effect or not, but it really seems like there is a change with such a slight adjustment on the head. I'm rocking the 414 pads, dunno if that makes the difference or not.

I have posted this in another thread, with my MS2i's I find that with both the (S) cushion quarter reversed, and the (L) cushion, wearing them slightly foward on my head I definitly hear the highs more and the soundstage seems to be a bit narrow, with a slightly thinner sound, also maybe a bit more detailed. And yes I agree back slightly further there is definitly a warmer fuller sound. I actually like the two different positions, to me forward reminds me of my SR80is, so it's like having two different headphones.

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #2,558 of 8,988
I feel it is best to have some space between the driver and the ears. They sounds more airy and natural. I actually feel MS2i bass is too much on some tracks. Bass is less priority for me, I just need short tight bass. Modern pop music are sometime tune in studio for stronger bass so they sounds good in mainstream earbuds. The MS2i also sounds very clean, crystal clear.

These 2 days, I have been listening to MS1i too. Conclusion, MS2i has very good separation and 3D sound. I have no problem using either MS1i or MS2.

There is also something I believe, if we use 1 set of headphone for sometime we actually get use to the sound. We will still enjoy the music the same way, unless we really do a lot of A/B you may not know what you are missing or gain.... focus on the music.

Some hi-fi headphone are so excellent and can be very tiring after long listening. Of course they are better sonically, it bring you close to the artist like sitting in a live performance. But imagine if you sit in front of a stage listening for long hours that can be tiring.

Sometime smooth background music is not bad too, lay back less accurate but also very forgiving. I recently bought a pair of cheap Panasonic RP-HT 460, plastiky sounds like ordinary headphones. However, I can put on this headphone and listen to it for straight 6hrs without feeling tiring. I love the Alessandro so much and 1 day I will add a MS-Pro to complete the collection :)

After burn-in, I actually find the RP-HT 460 not bad they are not Hi-Fi but not bad for music.

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #2,559 of 8,988
I also feel that it is nice to have some distance between the drivers and the ears, it gives the MS2's a nice spaciuos sound and also lightens and tightens the bass up for me. When I first recieved my MS2's I wasn't thrilled with the the bass, on alot of tracks it was way too bass oriented for me, taking away from the clarity of the music. I used to listen directly out of my sony cdp-c701es with a meridian 203dac, since I found the bass too overwhelming I switched to listening out of my adcom gtp-400 also linked with my dac, and toned down the bass to about 11:00 o'clock wich is really nice to have the option to do. I also have almost no pressure on my ears, after bending the band into a (U shape) the drivers just rest on my ears wich is nice for me. I've read alot of mixed reviews on the (G) cushions, but in the future will purchase them for my own opinion being that they do put more space between the drivers and the ears I  fell I may like them. Currently I use the (L) cushion and have no trouble as far as comfort with them at all, and like you mentioned they do give a nice 3D sound to them, but I'm curious and want to hear for myself if I will like the (G) cushions. BTW I personally feel these are a beutifull sounding headphone, through and through. I was also thinking about purchasing a headphone amp but I must say that switching from my sony to my adcom made a very big difference in the soundstage, that I could'nt believe my ears, it opened it up greatly, and it is nice to have the tone controlls to compensate a little if need be. So I don't know if i'll be wasting my money but I was interested in the Bellari ha540, Matrix m stage, or either the LD mk+1 or Mklll. I'm open to any opinions anyone may have on this thought. Thank you. 

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #2,560 of 8,988
If it makes it more pleasurable to listen to, I wouldn't see it as a waste of money at all! After all, you get what you pay for, or what you work for.

I spent a total of about $80, including the purchase of a new hot glue gun and glue, to woody and recable my SR-80i cans and I feel it was worth it! The biggest difference was the distancers I made that distance the drivers 11.5mm away from the ear pad, and I spent another $25 for the the l-cush pads. So in all I spent about $205 for my customized headphones, which are amazing and I don't feel I wasted a dime of it. Not only did I gain better quality and elegance, but I also learned some and enjoyed the process!

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #2,561 of 8,988
Quote:
If it makes it more pleasurable to listen to, I wouldn't see it as a waste of money at all! After all, you get what you pay for, or what you work for.

I spent a total of about $80, including the purchase of a new hot glue gun and glue, to woody and recable my SR-80i cans and I feel it was worth it! The biggest difference was the distancers I made that distance the drivers 11.5mm away from the ear pad, and I spent another $25 for the the l-cush pads. So in all I spent about $205 for my customized headphones, which are amazing and I don't feel I wasted a dime of it. Not only did I gain better quality and elegance, but I also learned some and enjoyed the process!

What I meant was, is there going to be a much better sound quality difference betwen my adcom gtp-400 and a dedicated headphone amp, wich has no tone controlls, but I am aware you can roll tubes for different sounds. I dont think money spent on audio is a waste at all, sound wise or cosmetic wise.

Dec 3, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #2,563 of 8,988
Been playing around further with solidworks, really getting the hang of it now.
Still no concrete plans as to really making a set, but have been contemplating MDF + bondo/filler + spray paint = Shiny
Should give a nice bling factor...
So far I have modeled the driver housing, the covers and the wishbone (in lack of a better term). Haven't modeled the headband as of yet, hitting a snag when extruding two ways..
Inspiration for the prop-cone came from my tangband drivers..
biggrin.gif

dual.png

Dec 3, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #2,564 of 8,988
Quote:
I don't know that particular amp, but the headphone out on most vintage amps are excellent

Yes, this is a 1991 adcom GTP-400 pre-amp/tuner wich at the time was made in the U.S. (I believe in N.J.) wich I havent used in a good 8 years.  I don't know if you read my other post but, I was listening to my phones straight out of my sony cdp-c701es (flat without any DSP mode),with my meridian 203 DAC also from around the same year, and I thought it sounded just fine, then I decided to do a little A/B testing between the two, and the sound coming from the GTP-400 is just so amazing I cant believe it. This component clearly (to my ears and preference) pushes the envelope with these phones. The soundstage is so much bigger, and from left to right the balance is beutifull, also the music has much more depth, a 3D like sound to it. So this is the question to myself with purchasing a dedicated headphone amp, will I benifit from it or not? So maybe I'll purchase a couple and see, I guess its the only way to find out for sure. Once again any input is more than welcome. Thank you.

Dec 3, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #2,565 of 8,988
Quote:
Quote:
I don't know that particular amp, but the headphone out on most vintage amps are excellent

Yes, this is a 1991 adcom GTP-400 pre-amp/tuner wich at the time was made in the U.S. (I believe in N.J.) wich I havent used in a good 8 years.  I don't know if you read my other post but, I was listening to my phones straight out of my sony cdp-c701es (flat without any DSP mode),with my meridian 203 DAC also from around the same year, and I thought it sounded just fine, then I decided to do a little A/B testing between the two, and the sound coming from the GTP-400 is just so amazing I cant believe it. This component clearly (to my ears and preference) pushes the envelope with these phones. The soundstage is so much bigger, and from left to right the balance is beutifull, also the music has much more depth, a 3D like sound to it. So this is the question to myself with purchasing a dedicated headphone amp, will I benifit from it or not? So maybe I'll purchase a couple and see, I guess its the only way to find out for sure. Once again any input is more than welcome. Thank you.

My guess would be no. That thing probably has plenty of power and current for your cans. It's probably pretty flat, too. Adcom was never a huge selling brand, but their reputation is very, very solid.

That is unless there is a particular signature you like, and the adcom doesn't get it. I personally think amps should be flat, and sources and speakers (cans) should be colored, and I would bet that adcom is pretty flat. Most older amps actually just have beefy resistors that run from the speaker out to the headphone jack, which is to say, gobs of power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back