post your grado mods....
Nov 20, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #2,536 of 8,987
Quote:
CNC potentially can cut all materials, you're just very dependent on cooling and so on. And the router size is very important. I have a small cutting bed, made out of MDF.
This limits my options in what I can cut. Besides, glass is just too damn heavy and would be prone to chipping.

MDF would be a simple option, I might contemplate making a try-out set in MDF. However, I have to rebuild the cutting file every time. Different types of material require different cutting speeds and RPM's.

My main work on the CNC has been with Plexiglass so far. Maintaining clarity in plexiglass is damn simple too, just heat the cut edges ever so slightly. When it hits the right temperature it'll regain the clear-look. The only real downside is that the stuff is mighty expensive and it usually comes in plates. Every once in a while I visit the supplier to scavenge their leftover bin. I'll keep an eye out for a block of plexiglass. See if I can make at least one cup.

But like I said, all is in the designing-phase. The styrofoam cups were just me being impatient again. Main focus is adding functionality to the design. I've got some nifty ideas that I want to work out, but they all depend on the cups accommodating them. Then again, I might give the exterior design a make-over. I never quite know when inspiration hits.

Whatever you do, keep us posted...what you're up to is fascinating.

Nov 20, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #2,537 of 8,987
Quote:
Hey guys, just wanted to stop in here and make a quick post/plea for help before I put this in the Headphones forum - So, the other day I picked up my RS1s only to realize that the right channel is completely gone. I have no idea why or how but it is not working. Does anyone have any troubleshooting tips or have experienced the same phenomenon?

Thanks.

Just happend to me also the other day with my ms2's, but it was the headphone output contacts on my pre-amp/tuner so I opened it up and cleaned and bent the contacts for more wipe and my right channel is fine, so maybe it's not your phones, try moving the jack on your phones to see if you can get a connection the the right channel, if you get some sound from the right channel try cleaning/bending the contacts like I said for more wipe on yhe contacts. Good luck!

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #2,538 of 8,987
Well, I know its not my amp because everything else was working fine out of it. So, like someone mentioned, it has to be the cable. I emailed Grado and its going to be $100. I guess I am going to have to bite the bullet on this one.

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #2,539 of 8,987
Oof...good to know that servicing a pair of RS1i is that much more than servicing a pair of SR225i...

Nov 24, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #2,540 of 8,987
I'm half way through reading this thread, at page 87 currently. Been reading through it at night after work before heading to bed for the past week. lol

Beautiful cans everyone has here, I'm a huge fan of the woody Grado's posted here, great work everyone!

Here is what I just finished doing this week:

Grado SR-80i
Homemade brown vinyl, stitched padded headband
Homemade padauk wood cups with metal grills
Homemade Oak/Padauk, foam padded distancers
Canare MiniQuad cable terminated with Canare F-12 connector.
Tap screw mod done to hold adjusting rods better
Rear driver felt - four holes (more bass)
Grado L-Cush pads

The L-Cush pads weren't very comfortable before the cup mods, but now (I think due to the distancers), they sit over my ears instead ON them, and I can stand listening to them for much longer periods of time!

I'm in love with these headphones, the mods have really brought them to life! I have a set of original SR-60 that I bought off craigslist for $50 and they sounded very similar from the start, but what I've done to the SR-80i has really made them more enjoyable!

EDIT:

The Canare F-12 connector was to big and bulky. I swapped it out for a smaller quality connector I purchased years ago.

Here is the size difference

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #2,542 of 8,987
Guys,

Where to extract metal screen to mod the Grado?
I need to remove a plastic ring to remove the default screen?

Cheers. 

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #2,543 of 8,987
Quote:
Where to extract metal screen to mod the Grado?
I need to remove a plastic ring to remove the default screen?

The plastic grill is glued to the cup from the inside. You need to open up the cup and push it 'in' from the outside to remove it - most likely you'll destroy it in the process. 

Not sure what 'where to extract metal screen' means. 

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #2,544 of 8,987
Quote:
The plastic grill is glued to the cup from the inside. You need to open up the cup and push it 'in' from the outside to remove it - most likely you'll destroy it in the process. 

Thanks. I means what replacement grill do you all use? I am looking for metal grill.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #2,545 of 8,987
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks. I means what replacement grill do you all use? I am looking for metal grill.

You can buy an Aluminum window patch kit at any hardware store.

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #2,546 of 8,987
I used a kitchen sieve. 
redface.gif

Most of the random stuff in the mods comes from builders markets etc. But it can be very difficult to find a good mesh weave - kitchen sieves are cheap and easy to find (with mesh weave) and they won't rust! 

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #2,547 of 8,987
I googled Aluminum window patch kit, they are nice. I never seen these before, perhaps I need to make more trips to hardware store. The kitchen sieve is a great idea too, is it easy to flatten it?

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #2,549 of 8,987
Quote:
Hate it when my grills rust...

Don't we all.

Quote:
I googled Aluminum window patch kit, they are nice. I never seen these before, perhaps I need to make more trips to hardware store. The kitchen sieve is a great idea too, is it easy to flatten it?

The entire sieve mesh flattens out quite easily into a square (at least mine did).

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #2,550 of 8,987
Quote:
Quote:
Hate it when my grills rust...

Don't we all.

Quote:

The entire sieve mesh flattens out quite easily into a square (at least mine did).

Every time I take them swimming, the grills rust, someone really should make some stainless grills - or titanium perhaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back