post your grado mods....
Jan 20, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #1,441 of 8,992
depends on how you're doing it and what material you use and your preference... based on my experience... its not a problem at all...

Quote:
I think the small Grados are too light to be equipped with such a onesided bulky cable. I did exactly that once for a customer, the looks were indeed very big-balls, but the wear feeling was sub zero.

Jan 23, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #1,442 of 8,992
Ongoing earcup mod search: I'm having a very hard time finding a lathe, and was discouraged by two local lathe-ists to not make the cups on a lathe, especially with no experience. They said to do it with a router and maybe a drill press with forstner bits. I seem to remember seeing a write up on how to make the jig/template for use with a router, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Can someone point me there or explain how to do it?

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #1,443 of 8,992

Quote:
Ongoing earcup mod search: I'm having a very hard time finding a lathe, and was discouraged by two local lathe-ists to not make the cups on a lathe, especially with no experience. They said to do it with a router and maybe a drill press with forstner bits. I seem to remember seeing a write up on how to make the jig/template for use with a router, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Can someone point me there or explain how to do it?

With a lot of practice one can use a router and a drill press to yield decent results, but you'll never be able to produce results/designs that you could do with a lathe. If you can't find a lathe then by all means use the drill press/router. It's certainly possible to make cups with less, I once made a pair with just a jigsaw and a mouse sander, although they looked more like bracelets than Grado cups. 

The things you'll need for the drill press route is: 
  • A belt sander (with variable speeds)
  • A router (optional, but puts a nice touch on the cups)
  • A drill press (you'll need a floor stander or a very powerful table mounted press)
  • A lot of patience!

I'm not too sure if I can say this since I'm a MOT, but at this point you should just try to look for someone to make you a pair of cups at the best price. Since you already bought the wood I would go ahead and take a shot at making them yourself though (assuming you still have access to a woodworking area). You may also want to look into renting a mini Lathe, I don't know where you'd find one for rent but it can't hurt to look around. 

Also, make sure to do test runs with scrap wood when using the router, that way you know which angles you'll get with each bit. When doing your final sanding make sure to set the belt sander (or whatever sander you choose) at a low speed, otherwise you'll burn your wood.

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #1,444 of 8,992

Quote:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/508459/sr60-mod

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #1,445 of 8,992
Hi everyone,

I have been reading this forum for quite awhile now but haven't had the courage to post anything till now...

so, sharing my modest grado cosmetic "mod" with everyone.

I always liked the metal cups of the higher grado series but alas I could not afford them. I have an MS1 so I decided to make them have a 'metallic feel'.

I bought a sheet of aluminum from the 2 dollar store in the city, so I guess the total cost of this mod is $2?

Any comments will be appreciated =) thanks.

Well anyway here are the pictures:

The front of the headphones 

I made a real 'bing' headband

Skinned the left and right indicators

Close up of the metal cups

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #1,446 of 8,992

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I have been reading this forum for quite awhile now but haven't had the courage to post anything till now...

I always liked the metal cups of the higher grado series but alas I could not afford them. I have an MS1 so I decided to make them have a 'metallic feel'.

I bought a sheet of aluminum from the 2 dollar store in the city, so I guess the total cost of this mod is $2?

Nice..

Gonna mod my MS-1 soon too =)

Jan 29, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #1,448 of 8,992
Not your 1st metal work dead sure.

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #1,449 of 8,992
congratulations kazxenon!!! a great job you did there...
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 30, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #1,453 of 8,992
nice job here...especially what you did to the headband...

Quote:
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Nice..

Gonna mod my MS-1 soon too =)

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #1,454 of 8,992

Quote:

Try this one. Scroll down until you see the white pvc cups they are making.

http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/projects/showfile.php?file=grado_prj.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back