post your grado mods....
Jan 9, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #1,396 of 8,992
beerchug.gif

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #1,400 of 8,992

man i love this blocks i supposed or shift collar however you call it..thanks for posting it. i bought one pair of these and slapped it on my sr60 and it made it look diffrent...but decided not put back the black plastic block... thank you for your suggestion.. and to "BILAVIDEO", bill, doing the mods are a challenge to me and i guess to all of us who's doing it, but made my grados sound better. thank you so much..... next will be the silver wire and the headband...

Quote:
Same link I ordered mine from. Ordered on the 15th, got them today.

Quote:
Quote:
The shaft collars I picked up on Amazon for like $.64 each I think.  The exact size I used is: 1/8" ID, 3/8" OD with a 6-32 x 1/8 set screw. Here are a few pics....

A link for the lazy people out there. I'm ordering 12. http://www.amazon.com/Climax-Metal-C-012-BOX5-Collar-Plating/dp/B000P0Q9PK/ref=sr_1_7?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1293233853&sr=1-7

BAIL! Amazon says "Usually ships in 1 - 2 months."

Wow!  Beautiful job and wonderful creativity!  I'm in the process of obtaining lambskin because of ideas like this.  I'm going to make headphone cushions and headbands with it.  I may even use some of it to terminate cabling.  There's so much out there.  Our imagination is the only real limitation.

Jan 12, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #1,403 of 8,992
Looks like fine work, but why did you opt for that bulky connector at about 20cm from your pair of headphones? It would have been way easier to install a stereo jack in of the cups...

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #1,405 of 8,992

Quote:
Looks like fine work, but why did you opt for that bulky connector at about 20cm from your pair of headphones? It would have been way easier to install a stereo jack in of the cups...

Wow! How did you know! The connector is actually just about 20cm from the headphone casing
smily_headphones1.gif
I opted for inline connectors because I don't trust myself enough to drill a large enough hole for a jack in my ms-1s
frown.gif
I went with mini-xlr connectors because they lock and will hopefully not loosen for the lifetime of my headphones. The female connector is on the headphones so that all the moving parts in the connector are on the cable which is easier to replace. Quality locking 3.5mm connectors were difficult to find. Also I found mini-xlr connectors in many pin configurations (3-pin, 4-pin, 5-pin) leading to aspirations for future upgrades... As for now, the 3-pin connectors I'm using are compatible with akg k702s if I ever get my hands on a pair.
You might notice that all 4 conductors go into the headband and then the corresponding two come out to each driver. This was to ensure almost identical distances for the cable to each driver (Although this was somewhat unnecessary, I did it for the purists here on head-fi
biggrin.gif
). The job of threading the cables through the headband was quite difficult and it took me almost a day to figure out how to successfully get the wires through the headband. I'm not looking to redo that cabling anytime in the future (unless I get a new headband in which case I might actually cry) so I left myself quite a bit of extra cable on the end so that if I ever get to upgrading my headphones to work with a balanced system, I'll have plenty of space to work with.

Two pictures noting the size of the connector compared to a deck of regular bicycle poker cards and a rean 3.5mm stereo plug. The mini-xlr connectors are somewhat larger than the 3.5mm plug, the tradeoff in build quality as well as the locking capability made me choose the mini-xlr connector over 3.5mm stereo connectors.

Quote:
Maybe for use with a balanced amp in the future? I think keeping the ground wires separate as much as possible also reduces crosstalk.

This brings out an important aspect of my post. I recabled mostly for aesthetics and the annoying y-cable tangle.
I hope to eventually upgrade my headphones completely to balanced and get a full balanced set-up but alas, funds are short for a university student.
I actually tried staying off head-fi for a while to protect my wallet! Plan didn't work as well as planned... and something we've agreed on: "Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet"

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #1,406 of 8,992
How did I know? Well, we have been working with centimetres for quite a while now. :)

Anyway, I understand all the uses of mini-xlrs etc... but I still don't think it was a good idea.   

Some reasons:
1) Grado doesn't improve much with amping, especially not balanced (though people seem to get good results with balanced RS-1s);
2) MS-1 is not worth balancing imo, because of reason 1 + it's easy to drive them to full potential;
3) You will need at least two xlr3 connectors, or one xlr4 for balancing
4) Bulky

Better, imo, would have been to solder on a 4pin xlr connector on the end of the cable and make some adapters.

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #1,407 of 8,992
Jan 14, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #1,408 of 8,992
Very much true. It doesn't take much to get them to full potential. That said, there are amplifiers that suck the life out of them. I couldn't stand my pair of Alessandros with the Little Dot MKIV SE for example.

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #1,409 of 8,992
Discussing amplification is similar to discussing cables or mass destruction weapons in the Iraq. I'm with ApatN in this one, but wouldn't dare to talk here about the latter.
cool.gif

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #1,410 of 8,992
It all depends on what you are starting with. I can tell you that without a doubt that my MS2i sound significantly different with a Arrow amp or a WA2 hooked to it then it does straight from a J3. I think adding current to the MS2i really brings them out. Now if you have a decent DAC or a nicer source than my J3 you might not find much of a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back