post your grado mods....
Sep 10, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #901 of 8,987
Quote:

Originally Posted by 0947
I would love to learn about how those different cups changed the sound of your SR80 if you did use different cups. If you haven't maybe you should for my amusement.

YMMV
among the cups, my fav is the metal/aluminum material..while previous woody experiments yielded unfavorable results maybe due to the type of wood used, but i was surprised with the effect of the aluminum cups. i'm not sure if its the aluminum or aluminum+weight effect+chamber size . i was in fact expecting the SQ to be somewhat bright but on the contrary, it sounded very pleasing actually. i liked how the aluminum made everything stable (or maybe how it was able to control resonance ), all the sound seem to project towards the ears without being affected by unwanted vibrations... but don't take my word for it as you might claim i am just imagining what i have observed though these are my actual experience. previously, i tried wood cups on 3 people and they hardly notice any difference and maybe they were right but i haven't tried my new cups yet (the harder and heavier kamagong type (black ebony).next, i'll let my friends compare the stock grado with the metal one..

btw 0947, what cup materials have you tried already? let us share our findings so i'll also learn something from you ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by les garten
Put less restrictive screens in those AL cups and charge $50 for the upgrade like Grado does!

firstly, i'm no reseller of cups.it just so happen that i just like to tinker around with SR80 . labor and materials are comparatively cheaper here in asia. in fact ,one of my cups cost just one pair of grado comfy pads but the quality of wood is somewhat inferior compared to my new cups. some were even given to me for free the latest of which is the black ebony which i haven't tried yet.
i already like the way it sounded but i do have the (less restrictive type) wire thing that i might try.. thanks for the suggestion!

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #902 of 8,987
Ugh, I should have known better than to come into this thread. Lol, I just ordered my Alessandro MS-1i's and without them even arriving I've also ordered 2 sets of Sens414 pads, and a DT 770 headband.

I plan to leave one set of the pads reversed with no cut, and the second reverse quarter modded. Plus with the price of shipping from sennheiser it was worth getting 2 pairs. At any rate, I figure the headband will help comfort as I usually am in front of the pc for a long period of time, plus it looks cool
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #903 of 8,987
Quote:

Originally Posted by voltraizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my cups....
34pb804.gif

cups.jpg

SR80 now w/ aluminum cups!

Very nice collections of cups!

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #904 of 8,987
Quote:

Originally Posted by 03029174 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, ive got a quick question about the rods. Do they just glue into the plastic frames that attach to the cups? Im thinking about replacing them with something shinier. Has anyone removed them before? They seem to be at a slight angle
Thanks

Pink&shiny skulls!

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #905 of 8,987
Quote:

btw 0947, what cup materials have you tried already? let us share our findings so i'll also learn something from you ...

Sorry to disappoint friend but I am what I like to call a coward
frown.gif
. I would not dare try to change the cups of my SR60i [Not at this point in time at least] for the fear of damaging the headphones and my lack of tools and skill and money. The only mods I'm willing to attempt right now are those that are easily reversible. So far the only thing I'm done is bought senn 414 pads. I would truly love to get aluminum cups, I'm interested in both sound and aesthetic, but it's just not a good idea for me to attempt so right now.

I support your endeavors all the way and wish you the best of luck.

[Edit] Hey we both have the Cowon D2+ !!!

Sep 12, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #906 of 8,987
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpoolinEclipse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ugh, I should have known better than to come into this thread. Lol, I just ordered my Alessandro MS-1i's and without them even arriving I've also ordered 2 sets of Sens414 pads, and a DT 770 headband.
smily_headphones1.gif

where did you order the DT 770 headband? I was looking for something for my SR125

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #907 of 8,987
Quote:

Originally Posted by tswise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where did you order the DT 770 headband? I was looking for something for my SR125

look into JMoneyAudio products, they make high-end leather headbands specifically for Grados.

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #908 of 8,987
Quote:

Originally Posted by tswise /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had ordered it directly through Beyerdynamic. The part number for the DT770 headband is 990.681. Costs like 15 bucks shipped. If you want to order one I'd reccomend contacting Peter Carini at Beyerdynamics, his number is: (631) 293-3200 ext.23, He was really cool and helpful.
beyersmile.png

Also to add, I got my MS-1i's today, these things rock!

Sep 12, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #909 of 8,987
Quote:

Originally Posted by Obot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have used the heat thing to get into them but i cant seem to get this bit out. Any ideas?

sr325i.jpg

-obot

Hi,
I just got my set in the mail. They are Allesandro MS-2i cups. DON"T ruin that piece of plastic!

The "Newer" Grados have a 2-Piece Driver Holder. It has a piece like the original Driver holder and then an extension or collar that you see here stuck in the cup. That piece is glued to the housing and to the other piece of the driver holder. That's a sign that the cups were removed with too much heat close to the driver IMHO. If you heat from the end of the cup it might have stayed glued to the driver holder. Mine did in the past. You really need that collar to get everything lined back up when you put the cups back on. It should be pretty easy to get out of there, so relax.

Here's how I'll do it when I pull mine apart.

A) Put on some Gloves that you won't cry about if they get a little hot glue on them.
B) Get an old towel or T-Shirt.
C) Hair dryer.

1) Put on the gloves
2) Hold the cup with one hand, heat evenly and slowly with the blow dryer. Put on some heat on every edge of the outside of the cup.
3) Do not spray heat on the plastic
4) After putting on a little heat, hold the cup with one hand and try to see if the plastic ring will move. Put heat on it slowly and evenly around the cup. Grado glue is pretty low temp.
5) If it's not loose put on a little more heat. You can always apply MOAR heat. It's almost impossible to remove too much heat!
6) Unless you're doing this in some sort of competition environment, take your time! Heat things up evenly and slowly. It will take less heat than you think it will.

Ohh, the old T-shirt? Use that to either protect the glove that you are sticking in the cup, or optionally to wipe up the tears when you cry your azz off because off because you heated things up too fast and warped that plastic ring.

I'd send you my crying towel, but I use it too often
wink.gif

Hope this helps out!

Sep 12, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #910 of 8,987
Quote:

Sorry to disappoint friend but I am what I like to call a coward. I would not dare try to change the cups of my SR60i [Not at this point in time at least] for the fear of damaging the headphones and my lack of tools and skill and money. The only mods I'm willing to attempt right now are those that are easily reversible. So far the only thing I'm done is bought senn 414 pads. I would truly love to get aluminum cups, I'm interested in both sound and aesthetic, but it's just not a good idea for me to attempt so right now.

that means more time listening to and enjoying da music my friend!
34pb804.gif

Quote:

I support your endeavors all the way and wish you the best of luck.

thanks!
2z6y3r7.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddkyd
Very nice collections of cups!

thanks sir.....
btw, my HF2 F1 can just arrived!
2usbx35.gif

F1 added to my steel cans:
fy2wxe.gif

gradometals.jpg

Sep 12, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #911 of 8,987
Quote:

that means more time listening to and enjoying da music my friend!

Just talked to Erwin, I got quoted $40-$50 plus shipping for the cups
smile_phones.gif
As soon as I get money in my paypal, I know what I'm buying...

EDIT:In case anyone is wondering, the aluminum cups that voltraizer posted are available from Singapore, from a guy named Erwin. You can PM me or voltraizer if you want to get in touch with the guy.

Sep 13, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #912 of 8,987
So today around noon I noticed a little package outside from Sennheiser, My 414 pads came in, woo!
beyersmile.png
To be fair, I started by removing my stock comfies from my MS-1i's, and just replaced them with the 414's. So compared to the comfies, it seemed like the stock comfies sounded better, not a big difference but it seemed like it lost some warmth to the sound. I kept these on for a couple hours.

Then curiousity got the best of me, and I decided to reverse quarter mod them. I used a quarter, and a pocket knife. I placed the quarter in the center, layed the cup over a magazine, and just slowly cut around the quarter. It actually turned out quite good, I was thinking it was going to be all hacked up looking, lol. Anyways, I have to say immediately I could tell the sound difference, and wow.. I would definately like to thank whomever invented this little mod, it's awesome on the MS-1i's. Going to be leaving these babies on, and let the cans burn in some
biggrin.gif
Sorry for the bad quality pic, was from my phone.

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #913 of 8,987
Hey, guys: I just woodied my SR-60s (nothing fancy) but left them open, no mesh. I already like how they sound, but would I lose any SQ covering the backs?

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #915 of 8,987
jeubow what are those pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back