post your grado mods....
Sep 14, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #916 of 8,992
Hi, here is my mod of Grado sr 225. I did it because of unconvenient and unportable cable. All you need to do it are: new thin cable, one jack, a few termotubes and glue. If someone really interested in that mod I could provide more detailed information.

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #917 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
I just got my set in the mail. They are Allesandro MS-2i cups. DON"T ruin that piece of plastic!

The "Newer" Grados have a 2-Piece Driver Holder. It has a piece like the original Driver holder and then an extension or collar that you see here stuck in the cup. That piece is glued to the housing and to the other piece of the driver holder. That's a sign that the cups were removed with too much heat close to the driver IMHO. If you heat from the end of the cup it might have stayed glued to the driver holder. Mine did in the past. You really need that collar to get everything lined back up when you put the cups back on. It should be pretty easy to get out of there, so relax.

Here's how I'll do it when I pull mine apart.

A) Put on some Gloves that you won't cry about if they get a little hot glue on them.
B) Get an old towel or T-Shirt.
C) Hair dryer.

1) Put on the gloves
2) Hold the cup with one hand, heat evenly and slowly with the blow dryer. Put on some heat on every edge of the outside of the cup.
3) Do not spray heat on the plastic
4) After putting on a little heat, hold the cup with one hand and try to see if the plastic ring will move. Put heat on it slowly and evenly around the cup. Grado glue is pretty low temp.
5) If it's not loose put on a little more heat. You can always apply MOAR heat. It's almost impossible to remove too much heat!
6) Unless you're doing this in some sort of competition environment, take your time! Heat things up evenly and slowly. It will take less heat than you think it will.

Ohh, the old T-shirt? Use that to either protect the glove that you are sticking in the cup, or optionally to wipe up the tears when you cry your azz off because off because you heated things up too fast and warped that plastic ring.

I'd send you my crying towel, but I use it too often
wink.gif

Hope this helps out!

Thank you very much, i'll give this a go at the weekend.
Mine did come apart very easily with very little heat, it's more leaverage to get them out I think. i'll update when I have attempted it.

/goes to find a crying towel.

-obot

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #919 of 8,992
Would it possible to use Beyer DT770 pads with Grado SR-60s? The DT770s look super comfy and very similar to the C-Pads (which I would get, if they were available). Has anyone tried this?

p.s. first post, hello everyone!

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #920 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by tech /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would it possible to use Beyer DT770 pads with Grado SR-60s? The DT770s look super comfy and very similar to the C-Pads (which I would get, if they were available). Has anyone tried this?

p.s. first post, hello everyone!

ev6j.gif

325idt990018.jpg

325idt990019.jpg

325idt990020.jpg

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #921 of 8,992
NoXter & me didn't like the acoustical effect of those C-Pad holders with Beyer pads. We had DT770, DT880 and DT660 pads, that we tried on the MS1, MS2i and the SR325i. There was always something very annoying in the mids section.

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #922 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NoXter & me didn't like the acoustical effect of those C-Pad holders with Beyer pads. We had DT770, DT880 and DT660 pads, that we tried on the MS1, MS2i and the SR325i. There was always something very annoying in the mids section.

Acutually I just completed this earpads just then.

After I listened to it for few minutes, I have to say that I cannot agree with you nomore.

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #923 of 8,992
Good, congrats!
tongue.gif

Maybe you utilized other materials, or you have other listening habits.

Sep 30, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #924 of 8,992
Very cool carbon on the C-pads.

I'm (hopefully, provided customs doesn't decide to have a bit more fun with me) receiving some JMoney distancers/liberators in the future, I'll be sure and give you guys some impressions! Will these work alright on my SR225i?

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #925 of 8,992
alessandro ms-1i recabled with Cryoparts TWcu + Cryoparts mini =D.
This is my 2nd headphone mod ever. It will be a ms-1000i in a few weeks, soon as i get jumbo pads =D

img3072d.jpg

img3075h.jpg

img3078pc.jpg

was going to do a dual-mono mod, but i can't find any gold flashed mini jacks made for pcb with the threaded collar (picky aren't i)

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #926 of 8,992
^ Looks great but do you think the MS-1 is worth such an expensive cable? The Grado cable is quite good to begin with and that Cryoparts wire is expensive as hell. Great work nonetheless though.

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #927 of 8,992
coz i love my ms-1!
the stock alessandro cable isn't OFC, only the voice coils are. if i ever get sick of my ms-1 and get a better headphone (which will happen lol) ill probably desolder this on and put it into that headphone.
ideally i'd love to have detachable 3.5mm jacks on all my headphones in the future. then i can just have 2 cables, one portable and one long, and just swap round between those on my headphones.

Oct 2, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #928 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Looks great but do you think the MS-1 is worth such an expensive cable? The Grado cable is quite good to begin with and that Cryoparts wire is expensive as hell. Great work nonetheless though.

ApatN, he's propably from the States, their mentality is waaay different in respect of such things.

Oct 2, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #929 of 8,992
haha, Australia.
it just like the look of alo cables so i set out to do something similar =D.
the mod cost me about $130 AUD, MS-1 retails for $150 lol.
FYI Grado Jumbos cost $80 AUD here -.-'
...heres the part where that sorry about your wallet part of the slogan rings true =D

Oct 4, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #930 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ApatN, he's propably from the States, their mentality is waaay different in respect of such things.

I guess so.
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by aj-kun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha, Australia.
it just like the look of alo cables so i set out to do something similar =D.
the mod cost me about $130 AUD, MS-1 retails for $150 lol.
FYI Grado Jumbos cost $80 AUD here -.-'
...heres the part where that sorry about your wallet part of the slogan rings true =D

So that makes 280AUD which is 242USD according to google. You could have bought a phone from the likes of DT880, HD6X0, K701. I guess you really (really, really, really) love your MS-1s.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back