post your grado mods....
Aug 20, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #781 of 8,987
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So could we realistically go mesh-less? Or would too much dust accumulate? Or maybe someone could make a slip cover for the cups so that when they're not in use, the drivers don't accumulate dust.... Fatman711, I'm looking at you!

You can go meshless, but I would worry about something falling in, or an errant finger pushing in. You may goof up a solder joint, or worse tear the solder pad off the driver. Then it's cryin' time!

The larger the mesh the better for SQ. They absolutely sound awesome with no CUP whatsoever! If you're ever fooling around with them and have the cups off. Put the pads on and hold up to your ears while not blocking the back of the drivers. AWESOME!

Aug 20, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #782 of 8,987
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darksyde /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, is it worth re cabling my SR225i's when the cord is an 8-conductor cable? I can only find 4-conductor Cardas cables, so it seems like it would only be a downgrade.
<snip>
Thanks!

Mark

Is a rough, out of tune V-8 a better engine than a turbo-charged, FMIC'd 4-cylinder? Or wide, but bald tires over narrower tires with great tread?
biggrin.gif

I haven't seen the new 8-wire cable, but my complaint with the old 4-wire cables is that they are so stiff and would kink so easily. A nice 4-wire will just lay so much smoother and not fight back. Now if the new cable is flexible and lays well, then I'd put my efforts or funds to other mods first, then recable with Mogami or Cardas or even an 8-wire 28ga SPC and see how you like the change. Mogami is cheap enough to use first, but it's not SPC.

If I keep my Grados, they will be recabled simply to get rid of the stiff stock ones.

Aug 20, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #783 of 8,987
There's nothing particularly special about the 8 wire Grado cable. It is a cheap cable that is done in China as far as has been rumored, and it looks like it.

Here's the inside of the cable on a Howto I did.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/bal...gs1000-431493/

It is flexable and does not seem prone to kinks. It is kinda heavy and a slight bit stiff so that it can be an irritant to live with.

Aug 20, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #784 of 8,987
Im curious as this meshless sound, maybe I should score a pair of cheap sr225s and try that. Does it rally make a large difference?

Aug 20, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #785 of 8,987
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im curious as this meshless sound, maybe I should score a pair of cheap sr225s and try that. Does it rally make a large difference?

Heh,
I'm not sure I would count on it turning 225s into RS-1s or PS-1000s.

Aug 20, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #786 of 8,987
New cable ready for my MS2's on the last page =)

picture014uqz.jpg

edit: yes that is a female connector on the end of the Y connection from the two cups, its to swap from a short portable cable to a long one for home use finished with a 1/4" connector

Aug 20, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #787 of 8,987
I really do like your idea.

Aug 20, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #788 of 8,987
awesome looking cable man. Much better than mine.

Aug 21, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #789 of 8,987
Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonyhong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

picture014uqz.jpg

edit: yes that is a female connector on the end of the Y connection from the two cups, its to swap from a short portable cable to a long one for home use finished with a 1/4" connector

At first I was going to post a comment saying, ah, why would you terminate in a 1/8" right angle plug??? Great idea though, I like it.

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #792 of 8,987
Quote:

Ooo, Anthony -- that's a nice cable. Did you buy that or DIY it??? If you bought it and have a URL for it, could you post it or send me a PM?

I'm thinking of recabling my MS1 -- I don't like how Grado pinches the cables at the Grado Y.

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #794 of 8,987
Quote:

I made it :p

Looks great. What inline female 3.5mm jack did you use? I've been trying to find one for a similar cable project...

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #795 of 8,987
I couldn't get a hold of a matching swifcraft, living in Canada my selection is balls, so I used a neutrik female connector I got from take 5 covered in matte heatshrink to somewhat match the finish of the switchcraft (rather than the Neutrik's original glossy finish)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back