post your grado mods....
Aug 29, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #811 of 8,992
Hi Guys, has anyone got any pics of the stock Grado dampening? Ive order a new cable from Drew and he's including some dampening material and said to replace the stock and use his. It smooths the sound out apparently. Has anyone got any pics of inside the grado cups so i can see what i have to change. If anyone here has changed the dampening material (ie added more/less) id be interested to know how it went. Also i've read about the blue tak mod, do you think that will be useful on PS-1s or would Grado have already added something sililar on this particular model?

Thanks

Aug 29, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #814 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by winwin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What exactly does it do? I don't seem to hear any difference. The cups made more improvement in the sq.

I did mine with Dynamat Extreme. Peeled off some of the tar and doped it onto the back of the driver, can't hurt.

I think it wold dampen any resonance that might set up on that metal driver cover. The effect will be nill at most. It's a "while you're in there mod" and a "it can't hurt and it might help" mod. Same concept as tube dampeners, well sort of, or sorbothane feet.

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #815 of 8,992
thinking about selling my recabled woody sr225 and getting the rs1i.. two questions

what do you guys think about the rs1i vs a recabled/wood sr225? would it be a big improvement?

also, what do you guys think a fair price for a good condition headphile woody sr225 w/ blackmax cable?

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #816 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thinking about selling my recabled woody sr225 and getting the rs1i.. two questions

what do you guys think about the rs1i vs a recabled/wood sr225? would it be a big improvement?

also, what do you guys think a fair price for a good condition headphile woody sr225 w/ blackmax cable?

Perhaps a pic?

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #817 of 8,992
20176d1251252511-sold-woody-sr-225-dt-770-sr2251.jpg

a bit dirty/dusty in this pic.. but yeah
smily_headphones1.gif

if it matters i'll be using the rs1i with a Pico -> WA6

and i just want to get a good idea of how much my woody is worth

Sep 4, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #818 of 8,992
A real beauty she is.
smile.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #819 of 8,992
Quote:

a bit dirty/dusty in this pic.. but yeah
smily_headphones1.gif

if it matters i'll be using the rs1i with a Pico -> WA6

and i just want to get a good idea of how much my woody is worth

WOW. Just noticed you said Headphile woodied. Those are gorgeous. Unfortunately you'll get hosed on resale. Usually you can count on between 50-75% MSRP on resale. That would be low to high with you somewhere in between.

Larry does great artwork no doubt. SQ, well that ain't what he sells, he sells art, says so on his webpage.

Personally I'd break it down like this:

Cans worth $150 MAX used
Wood worth $100
Cable Worth $100

I would put the worth at around $350. I'm sure you paid a ton more than that for them. You could start at $450 and see what happens.

Sep 4, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #820 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by 03029174 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Guys, has anyone got any pics of the stock Grado dampening? Ive order a new cable from Drew and he's including some dampening material and said to replace the stock and use his. It smooths the sound out apparently. Has anyone got any pics of inside the grado cups so i can see what i have to change. If anyone here has changed the dampening material (ie added more/less) id be interested to know how it went. Also i've read about the blue tak mod, do you think that will be useful on PS-1s or would Grado have already added something sililar on this particular model?

Thanks

According to NotoriousBIG-PJ, when he got his PS-1 serviced, "rubberised bitumen laminate" was used in his cups. If this is the case, dynamat should fit the bill

Sep 5, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #822 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW. Just noticed you said Headphile woodied. Those are gorgeous. Unfortunately you'll get hosed on resale. Usually you can count on between 50-75% MSRP on resale. That would be low to high with you somewhere in between.

Larry does great artwork no doubt. SQ, well that ain't what he sells, he sells art, says so on his webpage.

Personally I'd break it down like this:

Cans worth $150 MAX used
Wood worth $100
Cable Worth $100

I would put the worth at around $350. I'm sure you paid a ton more than that for them. You could start at $450 and see what happens.

thanks!! that helps, i think i will research some more about the rs1i before selling these

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A real beauty she is.
smile.gif

Thank you!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #823 of 8,992
Quote:

thanks!! that helps, i think i will research some more about the rs1i before selling these

Thank you!
smily_headphones1.gif

Why don't you try a screen mod first? Get a really open screen on them and I think you'll be happy enough and I personally think they would be at least 90% the SQ of stock RS1i's, if not better, but that's just MHO, but coming from someone who traded off his RS-1s because I simply couldn't hear enough improvement over 325s with HD414 pads to justify keeping mine. The RS-1s still butchered female voices far too much for my tastes. The new owner loves the RS-1s though, so it's all good.

I'll actually be putting the 325s up for sale too and keep my 125s for woodies, screen mod, new cable to go with the JMoney V3 headband and his eventual Grado pads once he gets them done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back