post your grado mods....
Aug 16, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #751 of 8,992
I have just done exactly the same thing,got the mesh from a toothbrush holder in the bathroom(i did ask her indoors first).The worrying thing is ,that now,, i cant hear a difference between these and my 325i's ,unamped from the walkman.I dare not try the same test throught the main system in case she t
hinks i have wasted my(our) money on my presious 325,s OOOps.
eek.gif

Sorry i misted a few pages,, This post is a reply to Scorpio...

Aug 16, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #752 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1st attempt failure, as the Cocobolo has enzymes that totally block [resin] lacquering drying, I gave up after 8 gluey weeks and built that 2nd one, which has only wax finishing.

I wonder if you could boil the wood cups momentarily to avoid this problem. If the wood is sturdy and doesn't warp, the enzymes would just denature--they are just fragile proteins, after all--and therefore be rendered ineffective at "blocking" the resin. Just a thought. Kind of like a pasteurization process...

Aug 16, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #753 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePandemonium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't really call this a mod but I noticed that the silver lettering of my Grado's was wearing off.. So I bought some gold paint and a Sharpie marker, and started to paint whith no direction of what I was doing. I have to say these came out so well. ... This all turned out much better than I expected. Since I NEVER paint or modify any of my stuff, mainly because I am not good at it.

Good to hear! Could you post pics of this modification, perhaps? I've always thought of doing this to a pair of lower-end Grados.

Aug 16, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #754 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if you could boil the wood cups momentarily to avoid this problem. If the wood is sturdy and doesn't warp, the enzymes would just denature--they are just fragile proteins, after all--and therefore be rendered ineffective at "blocking" the resin. Just a thought. Kind of like a pasteurization process...

I've left them in dilution (correct word???) for several hours. I'll do some tests in the next days to see what is what. Lacquering would be great, 2x more beautiful than that wax stuff.

Aug 16, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #755 of 8,992
Not sure that it's the enzyme that is messing with the lacquer, but if it is, once it is "destroyed" (actually called "denatured") then you should have no problem. http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembo...aturation.html If it's the wood itself--not porous enough? too waxy?--then you may have no other choice.

Aug 16, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #756 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure that it's the enzyme that is messing with the lacquer, but if it is, once it is "destroyed" (actually called "denatured") then you should have no problem. Denaturation Protein If it's the wood itself--not porous enough? too waxy?--then you may have no other choice.

Pooh, that site would be hardcore even in my own mother tongue...
tongue.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #757 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pooh, that site would be hardcore even in my own mother tongue...
tongue.gif

Sorry about that! Just noticed that it isn't written for the layperson. It kinda helps that I'm doing my Ph.D. in organic chemistry right now. Never hurt my understanding of bone-dry scientific principles! To each, a zone, I guess...
wink_face.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #758 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnaKinDV8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to share my 225 make-over...
363306105.jpg

Drivers extracted and re-housed in wood chamber.
363306122.jpg

363305977.jpg

Blu-Tak mod..

363306028.jpg

363385335.jpg

363385327.jpg

363385319.jpg

GS-225 from the South East.
icon10.gif

Hey Bro, I'm also Filipino and I have an SR225 as well. Can I send my cans so you can do the mod for the woodie? also maybe you can reqire it for portable use. Let me know.

Thanks

Nino

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #760 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They sound good with Silver, and yeah I'm just waiting to get paid so I can buy a set of woodies from you.

I also added damping to the driver and damping to the inner cups. Killed resonances and tamed highs, smoothed out the entire sound.

You might want to get less restrictive grills.

What did you damp the "inner cups" with?

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #761 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to get less restrictive grills.

What did you damp the "inner cups" with?

Just was going to post the grill suggestion, definitely should open those up.

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #762 of 8,992
I used very thin mesh for screen doors. I dampened the driver with silicone and put foam inlays on the inside of the enclosures wall. The silicone is on the back of the driver and helps with peaks. The foam is on the sides and helps with odd resonances in the cups themselves. Overall a smoother sound and not as bright or peaky as it was before.

Here's a pic of the two mods:

zombie_x-albums-headphone-modifications-picture3153-modded-sr-225i-added-cut-up-foam-viablue-connector-box-walls-driver-enclosure-helped-kill-plastic-resonances-cup-also-helped-direct-bass-made-slightly-more-controlled-goop-back-transducer-actually-silicone-killed-extra-vibrations-also-eliminated-lot-extra-peaks-frequencies-smoothed-out-sound-made-sound-more-refined.jpg

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #763 of 8,992
Quote:

I used very thin mesh for screen doors. I dampened the driver with silicone and put foam inlays on the inside of the enclosures wall. The silicone is on the back of the driver and helps with peaks. The foam is on the sides and helps with odd resonances in the cups themselves. Overall a smoother sound and not as bright or peaky as it was before.

Here's a pic of the two mods:

It's not the thickness of the screen, it's the size of the holes in it. The absolute best sounding screen is no screen at all. The main difference between a SR-125 and a SR-225 is the screen. Grado charges $50 for a freer breathing screen. Yours is kewl looking but I suspect overall poor sounding comparatively speaking. Screen makes a big difference. Taking the button off helps too as you did.

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #764 of 8,992
I suppose it helps more with airflow and sensitivity? What's the biggest difference in SQ?

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #765 of 8,992
Quote:

I suppose it helps more with airflow and sensitivity? What's the biggest difference in SQ?

Makes everything more fuller, more refined, better treble, less tinny. Have you played around with bringing your hands close to the cups eventually closing them off. Just a small amount of back pressure loading on the drivers and they go nutz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back